Mike's Oud Forums

my yaroub oud

akoud - 12-12-2009 at 12:44 PM

the sound of this oud was so bad so i made some changes inside the oud and the sound is stronger
polisander and ceader
string 57cm

LeeVaris - 12-12-2009 at 03:27 PM

What kind of changes did you make?

I'm surprised that you say the sound was bad - I've known Yaroub ouds to be quite good.

akoud - 12-13-2009 at 06:14 AM

2 frinds from the academy music in jerusalem have ouds from yaroub and the sound is so bad it is not like the oud that nasser shama have

i removed one of the braces and sanded under the floting brige from the inside so the sound could be free and have high volume

Luttgutt - 12-13-2009 at 09:31 AM

Hi akoud!

I am wandering why you bought the oud when you think it is so bad!?
p.s. I don't think Shamma's ouds sound so good anyway (my personal opinion : )

Very nice gig bag! where did you get it?

spyros mesogeia - 12-13-2009 at 09:46 AM

as I said Many Many times that each flower has his own Parfume....Akoud my friend,I understand how you feel....sometimes we are waiting for something that is not what we receive,but,maybe someone else is satisfieded,I will Not say the name because he will say that I am Rude again....anyway,I suppose that somebody else will want to buy it,just sale it oud-brother,and search for the oud that will make you happy.
I wish you all a wonderfull Sunday

akoud - 12-13-2009 at 01:25 PM

hi spyrose
the oud sond was so bad even when you tune it in iraqi way
i just love the sound that i made and the oud is so good to play on
i ill post sound sample

spyros mesogeia - 12-13-2009 at 01:35 PM

I am really glad oud-brother,
I know how you feel,I did that many times....
I hardly wait to hear it my friend.
Regards :wavey:

akoud - 12-13-2009 at 01:36 PM

my frind didnt like his yaroub oud and love my abo alla oud so we switched the ouds
i examined the oud and i wanted to make better oud
the sound was so bad that you thing the oud is fake oud
my friend pay 3000$ us 4 his oud and he was so disappointed becouse he played on yaroub oud and it was so good and he ordered one from yaroub to be the same oud.
at the end the oud was so bad becouse yaroub changed the way that he makes his ouds
i have another yaroub from 2003 and his sound is ok

spyros mesogeia - 12-13-2009 at 01:40 PM

each flower has his own parfume my friend..... ;-)

shayrgob - 12-13-2009 at 09:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by spyros mesogeia  
as I said Many Many times that each flower has his own Parfume....Akoud my friend,I understand how you feel....sometimes we are waiting for something that is not what we receive,but,maybe someone else is satisfieded,I will Not say the name because he will say that I am Rude again....anyway,I suppose that somebody else will want to buy it,just sale it oud-brother,and search for the oud that will make you happy.
I wish you all a wonderfull Sunday

Me?? haha if you are it's completely justified. I completely offended my instrument and called it a "POS". I retract my previous statements and am grateful. I think it's beautiful in many ways and i just needed to respect it instead of criticizing it. I love it now and feel bad about how I spoke to it. In fact my oud teacher thinks it's a beautiful oud. lol

spyros mesogeia - 12-13-2009 at 09:28 PM

:airguitar: JUST PLAY IT MAAN:shrug:....:D

akoud - 12-13-2009 at 09:29 PM

sound sample
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg-HYdj7wC0

spyros mesogeia - 12-13-2009 at 09:33 PM

NICE DUDE....
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY:wavey:

suz_i_dil - 12-15-2009 at 03:06 PM

The sound seems nice on your record.
Did you try it with higher string tension on iraki tuning? Maybe that's why you don't get this characteristic sound of Naseer Shamma. The set he uses are quite high in tension.

akoud - 12-15-2009 at 11:40 PM

merry christmas spyros mesogeia
the was in high tension and no sound at all
i used it in high tenshion after and it is ok

Lazzaro - 12-16-2009 at 03:29 AM

I use on my floating bridge this set of Pyramid lute strings and the sound became near the Naseer Shamma one.
0,65 f
0,75 c
1007 G
1014 D
1022 A
1034 E
best regards to all and Merry Christmas
Maurizio:wavey:

Matthias - 12-16-2009 at 04:35 AM

Hello,

Naseer uses the following set, which he get sometimes from me therefore I'm shure about the string numbers and which are by the way the strings that Munir Bashir used:

ff 0,6250 ( PYNR 0625 )
cc 0,7250 ( PYNR 0725 )
g 1007 ( PY 1007 )
d 1113 ( PY 1113 )
C 1116 ( PY 1116 )
F py 1033SF ( PY1033SF )( my replacement for the guitar string he used )

This complete set you will find in my shop under the number
SET OUD P10, there you will find the tensions for these strings too.
the red numbers are my item numbers in the shop.

a .65 and .75 will give a extreme high tension

Regards Matthias

Ronny Andersson - 12-16-2009 at 08:59 AM

For what it's worth I use the following:
F PY1035
ff nylgut 56
cc nylgut 64
g PY1007
d PY 1013
C PY1019
Matthias, you are sure that Bashir used the same as Shamma? I want to remember that he used other numbers/Pyramid strings.

akoud - 12-17-2009 at 09:07 AM

this is the yaroub inside and what idid to it
akram

teslim - 12-17-2009 at 09:48 AM

can you tell us how you removed the brace...did you take the top off or do it from inside?

akoud - 12-17-2009 at 12:03 PM

i just intered my hand inside the oud and take it of

Sazi - 12-17-2009 at 01:10 PM

What is the difference between this and the 2003 bracing?

sabbassi - 12-17-2009 at 02:46 PM

I think personaly 9 braces it way 2 much. 7 should the job even for a 51cm long sound board. braces betwenn 4.3mm and 4.7mm in thikness depending on the wood of the soundboard, Epicea is much stronger than american ceder of course. et.

suz_i_dil - 12-17-2009 at 03:35 PM

I'm not luthier, but I think it depends on the kind of sound you are looking for.
This number of braces seems quite usual with iraki makers, another exemple here (thabet el basry):
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=4229

I know another well known maker, not iraki, who put the same number of braces on his floaters.

Lazzaro - 12-18-2009 at 03:14 PM

sorry I must correct my post
0,625 for the first string and 0,725 for the second:shrug:

farid - 12-19-2009 at 08:00 AM

Hi,

It's a very interesting discussion about bracing systems for ouds. Akoud could you explain why in removing a brace at the base of the soundboard and in adding 2 small braces on each side of the bridge you've got a sound more free with a higher volume? Maybe some luthiers in Mike'sforum could give their theory.

regards

farid

suz_i_dil - 12-21-2009 at 01:03 PM

Hello,

About the last post of Sabassi,
I found this information on internet...so many ressource on the web so don't know if it is really sure:
"A soundboard for stringed musical instruments in which the soundboard is reinforced by a series of ribs spaced apart by a distance less than one-half the wave length of the vibration of the soundboard at the fundamental frequency of the highest note on the instrument scale."

This would mean than for a tuning in Fa there would need more ribs than for a tuning in Do for a same soundboard length, and so explain the more number of ribs placed on the iraki construction.

What do you think about Sabassi, do you think it make sense?

Ronny Andersson - 12-21-2009 at 03:32 PM

It's the same pattern as Munshed uses. A design that leads back to Mohammed Fadel and seems to be the pattern that Iraqi builders use.

Quote: Originally posted by suz_i_dil  
I'm not luthier, but I think it depends on the kind of sound you are looking for.
This number of braces seems quite usual with iraki makers, another exemple here (thabet el basry):
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=4229

I know another well known maker, not iraki, who put the same number of braces on his floaters.

Matthias - 12-21-2009 at 03:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ronny Andersson  

Matthias, you are sure that Bashir used the same as Shamma? I want to remember that he used other numbers/Pyramid strings.

Dear Ronny,

you are right, Munir Bashir had PYNR 0600 for the f and PYNR 0650 for the c. The other strings are correct.

Regards Matthias

Ronny Andersson - 12-21-2009 at 03:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Matthias  
Quote: Originally posted by Ronny Andersson  

Dear Ronny,

you are right, Munir Bashir had PYNR 0600 for the f and PYNR 0650 for the c. The other strings are correct.

Regards Matthias

Thanks Matthias for refreshing my memory.

I had totally forgot the numbers for the strings that Bashir used since I switched from nylon to nylgut. I usually never write down anything...

farid - 1-6-2010 at 03:10 PM

Could we find the same kind of bares at each side of the bridge for a fixed bridge oud? How these bares give a higher sound for the oud?

regards

Farid