Mike's Oud Forums

Pear shaped Ouds

hisham - 7-16-2004 at 02:09 PM

Why are they built like this? Dose this way of building have an effect on the
Sound of the oud. Or is it just for the visual purpose.
Are they still made? And who makes them?

I have a picture of Abadi al joher with a pear shaped oud; also sayed makkawi and abdel majeed abdallah have pictures with a pear shaped oud.
So this means they are good, I think.
What do you think guys?

Hisham

Elie Riachi - 7-16-2004 at 03:54 PM

They might be easier to hold as a pear shape, I think.

I would expect the sound to be some what different.

As to who makes them, check this thread http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=967

Regards,
Elie

Pear Shaped ouds

spyrosc - 7-16-2004 at 04:26 PM

They are intended primarily for women. They are smaller, lighter, sometimes with a "brighter" sound (smaller resonating cavity).

I have one of those that I bought from a dealer in Cairo.

Search for "pear" in Forum for previous threads.

Spyros C.

Flat-backed? Pair-shaped?

wfspark - 7-25-2004 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spyrosc
They are intended primarily for women. They are smaller, lighter, sometimes with a "brighter" sound (smaller resonating cavity).

I have one of those that I bought from a dealer in Cairo.

Search for "pear" in Forum for previous threads.

Spyros C.
When you guys say pair-shaped, do you mean flat-backed? Also, aren't some of the Bashir ouds made that way?

William F. Sparks

chuckerbutty - 8-1-2004 at 02:57 AM

Hi William

Pear-shaped ouds have rounded bowls like normal ouds, but they have a waist, a bit like a classical guitar with a bowlback, if you can imagine such a contraption (although the upper bout isn't as pronounced as on a guitar). Bashir ouds are invariably round-backed, by the way.

Pare shaped ouds.

wfspark - 8-1-2004 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckerbutty
Hi William

Pear-shaped ouds have rounded bowls like normal ouds, but they have a waist, a bit like a classical guitar with a bowlback, if you can imagine such a contraption (although the upper bout isn't as pronounced as on a guitar). Bashir ouds are invariably round-backed, by the way.
Hello their. Thanks for the discribtion. So it's like the design of the Ovation guitar bodys?

William F. Sparks

chuckerbutty - 8-1-2004 at 11:57 AM

Not exactly. The back of an Ovation is a smooth curve, while a pear-shaped oud has a sort of dip in the back as well, corresponding with the waist.

Pare shaped ouds.

wfspark - 8-1-2004 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckerbutty
Not exactly. The back of an Ovation is a smooth curve, while a pear-shaped oud has a sort of dip in the back as well, corresponding with the waist.
Oh! I get it now. Thanks.

William F. Sparks