Mike's Oud Forums

Saalouni el Nass

Reda Aouad - 5-5-2010 at 06:30 AM

Hi all.

I have previously requested from Michael, a member of this forum, in the following post, to record for me rhythms for Saalouni el Nass by Fayrouz. I know it's been a year ago I asked him the favor, but I didn't get the chance to record my oud afterwards, until now.

So here it is: http://www.4shared.com/audio/HGnM3o9P/Saalouni_El_Nass.html.

A big thanks for Michael :D

Luttgutt - 5-5-2010 at 06:35 AM

Nice Reda!

Which oud are you using here?

Reda Aouad - 5-5-2010 at 06:37 AM

My Ghadban oud. But I didn't like at all the last set of strings I put on. It has like a plastic, dry sound. But should do for now.

Reda Aouad - 5-5-2010 at 06:39 AM

And I'm also not able to tune the strings correctly, especially the nylon ones. It's the first set which didn't suit the oud.

mrkmni - 5-5-2010 at 07:23 AM

Hi Reda, before even listening I say it is great playing.
Welcome back...

Reda Aouad - 5-5-2010 at 07:29 AM

Thanks mrkmni.

I'm not really satisfied with it.. as I have been not playing my oud for a while. But I had fun recording it today and thought would post it anyway.

Thanks again :)

Abusaid - 5-5-2010 at 08:26 AM

Very nice playing Reda!!:applause::applause:

I want to share my version of the same song, it was recorded a year ago.

http://www.4shared.com/audio/r2cldF2S/Saalouny_El_Nas.html

Eduardo

myeyes2020 - 5-5-2010 at 08:03 PM

Very nice Reda and Eduardo!

alloushé - 5-6-2010 at 12:33 AM

Hi,
v.Good Job! thought some notes are not correct.
Reda did you follow the music notes or your ears? (both?)

Reda Aouad - 5-6-2010 at 01:57 AM

Hi Alloushé.

Thanks for listening. I followed both the music sheet and my ears, though the music sheet isn't necessary for such easy songs. Could you please indicate what notes are wrong? I think you are confusing them with notes I added or changed a bit to embellish the music.

Luttgutt - 5-6-2010 at 02:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Reda Aouad  
And I'm also not able to tune the strings correctly, especially the nylon ones. It's the first set which didn't suit the oud.

Hi Reda!

What strings do you have on it now?

It is not unusual that a oud doesn't "like" a sertain strings. One of my ouds shows a HUGH differance between Daniel Mari and Aquila. It is almost unbelievable! It turned dead when I put on the Aquila!!??:shrug:

p.s. you have 2 notes that are not "in place" between 54 and 57 seconds.. Nothing serious. I am guessing it is just a small "misunderstanding" :)
Maybe that is what Alloushi is reffuring to!?

Reda Aouad - 5-6-2010 at 02:17 AM

Daddario. You're right it went totally dead. I will try some new strings soon.

alloushé - 5-6-2010 at 02:25 AM

Could you please indicate what notes are wrong?

at 1:16- 1:17 and 1:34-->1:36 (al kafla, you started it excellent then oups), for example, they are not beautiful to the ears.

I think you are confusing them with notes I added or changed a bit to embellish the music.

So as i said, some notes are incorrect (since it differs from the original text)

Reda Aouad - 5-6-2010 at 02:29 AM

Ok Alloushé I respect your opinion, you may not like them, but they're not wrong in the sense of dissonant to the maqam. Both passages you're talking about are played intentionally like that, just an attempt to make it a bit more beautiful since it's an instrumental recording with no singing.

alloushé - 5-6-2010 at 02:59 AM

using (karar notes in addition) in the kafla may give more rich results. something at 1:16, 1:17 is not alright: like a lack of a note not an addition of notes.

myeyes2020 - 5-6-2010 at 07:24 AM

I also have a Ghadban oud and found that when I swithced from aquilla to labella cfadgc, the tenstion did not seem high enough and there was lots of buzzing. I have six course fixed bashir. I didnt want to experiment any further and went back to aquillla. I recall an email correspondance with Nazih Ghadban in which he stated that aquilla and tomisick work best with this oud.

Has anyone successfully used strings other than tomisik or aquilla with Ghadban ouds?

Adel

Luttgutt - 5-6-2010 at 07:52 AM

Hi Reda!

I am sorry I did a mistake when I said between 54 and 57 sec.
I rememberd wrong! :shrug:
What I ment is between 37 and 38 seconds. Sorry about that!

Otherwise, I don't think there is anything wrong with 1.16-1.17

And contrary to Alloushi, I think that 1.34-1.36 is Extreemly beautifully playd.
And I am definitly going to imitate... with your permition :)

Adel, I have playd on Sahhab's Ghadban oud. He uses GUITAR strings on it! Extreemly high tention.. And it sounds wanderful, breath taking.
So maybe Ghadban ouds requier high tention!? :shrug:

myeyes2020 - 5-6-2010 at 08:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Luttgutt  

Adel, I have playd on Sahhab's Ghadban oud. He uses GUITAR strings on it! Extreemly high tention.. And it sounds wanderful, breath taking.
So maybe Ghadban ouds requier high tention!? :shrug:

Based on your experience, i may try the guitar strings. Was Sahhab'a Gh fixed or moving bridge? Compared to the other ouds I own, Ghadban's seems to be a very stirdy and hardy instrument. Beautiful sound!

alloushé - 5-6-2010 at 08:45 AM

tastes are in nature :)

Reda Aouad - 5-6-2010 at 10:09 AM

You said it Alloushé.. tastes differ and that's good.

And Luttgutt.. you don't need any permission. I will be waiting for all of your versions guys.. especially Alloushé since your taste is clearly different so it would be great to hear your version :)

alloushé - 5-6-2010 at 10:22 AM

i am concentrating on something else right now: min gheir leih, quite difficult music but very rich, i am working on it. But, this music is mmmm making me traveling, we are not in Fairuz songs (which i love personaly by the way)

of course i was decided to post when i am ready (microphone, Oud) :bounce: i have nothing valuable for the moment

Luttgutt - 5-6-2010 at 10:25 AM

Maybe I will :) Even though this is not the kind of music I play.. but it is about time I post something here ;)

Adel, good that you asked! His Gh was floating!
I should have mentioned that, SORRY!

I don't think you should try it on fixed bridge. Gh is too good a oud to experiment on in this way. I like Aquila Nylgut. And I expect them to do a good job on Gh oud.

alloushé - 5-6-2010 at 11:43 PM

Luttgutt have you received my last email about the Oud?

Danielo - 5-7-2010 at 12:39 AM

Hi Reda,

I like this recording, you have a very good feeling ;)

I agree with you, the sound is a little bit 'dead''.. don't wait to put new ones!

Dan

Luttgutt - 5-7-2010 at 05:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by alloushé  
Luttgutt have you received my last email about the Oud?

That was a funny way to send me a message :rolleyes:

It depends what you mean by the last one :)

I believe that I have answered your questions concerning my oud. If not, it means that I did not recieve the mail you are mentioning...

I appreciate it if you send me the questions at this link
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=10294

Thanks

alloushé - 5-7-2010 at 10:11 AM

i sent you an email giving you what i think about the recording you sent to me and some questions like if i am supposed to receive another video from you since you said me in your message "The message was too big. I'll try to send one video at a time."

if it annoys you, forget my friend.

Luttgutt - 5-7-2010 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by alloushé  

if it annoys you, forget my friend.

Alloushe, you are not annoying me... you are just writing these comments on the WRONG link!!

This link is about Reda's recording, not about my oud!! :wavey:

Sorry about this Reda :rolleyes:

Reda Aouad - 5-7-2010 at 11:15 AM

Don't worry guys.. this forum is for all and I'm not bothered at all.

Ezz-the-oudplayer - 5-7-2010 at 07:21 PM

hellooo everyone i posted a video on youtube of what is sounds like . im not playing anything its just a test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvAmCfMtoXY

remember these are the 3 last chords.

alloushé - 5-8-2010 at 04:33 AM

Don't worry guys.. this forum is for all and I'm not bothered at all.

thank you my friend.

Luttgutt, take it easy.

Luttgutt - 5-8-2010 at 10:29 AM

I ment to write you are NOT annoying me.. "not" fall out :D

Alloushe, I definitly still think that this is the wrong "LINK" you are writing on, if you want to send me a message.

Now you have done it THREE time, even though I asked you very politly not to do so!!

So NOW you annoy me :wavey:

Reda Aouad - 5-8-2010 at 12:58 PM

Thanks for the response :)

I totally enjoyed it. Especially the part you improvised. Very sensitive.. and simple as I said, with very good technique. Nice talent :D Too bad for the silent ending...

I think I will record a solo version as well.. slower and lighter as you did.

Luttgutt - 5-8-2010 at 01:02 PM

Waiting for version 2 :)

Thanks again for your kind words Reda...

alloushé - 5-8-2010 at 04:12 PM

I ment to write you are NOT annoying me.. "not" fall out :D

Alloushe, I definitly still think that this is the wrong "LINK" you are writing on, if you want to send me a message.

Now you have done it THREE time, even though I asked you very politly not to do so!!

So NOW you annoy me :wavey:

it was just a question on an active post that we are on at the same time. Forget, and try to take it easy..

Sazi - 5-8-2010 at 04:42 PM

Very nice, Geko! ;-) Great oud and playing feel. encore encore!

alloushé - 5-9-2010 at 03:34 AM

and concerning your saalouni el nass version Luttgutt, i enjoyed it. Smooth playing, v.Good. except, i did not like the improvisation part, felt like a space was added between the begining and the end of the song.

Luttgutt - 5-9-2010 at 04:08 AM

Thanks again for the feedback guys :bowdown:

Sazi man, thanks also for your comment on youtube.. it is your turn now ;)

Sazi - 5-9-2010 at 04:29 AM

Sazi man, thanks also for your comment on youtube.. it is your turn now ;)

Haha,:D Cheers man, I'll see if I can borrow an interface, but I am currently working on my ouds while waiting for some new strings...

mrkmni - 5-11-2010 at 05:07 PM

My Saalouni ennas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqm_KW2SD8s

Reda Aouad - 5-11-2010 at 11:25 PM

Hi mrkmni :)

Im glad you're sharing your version as well. It's a nice progress since I first heard you :)

But man you should seriously consider working with a metronome to keep your rhythm. You should not be satisfied with your playing while the rhythm is off and some notes missing. Start playing the melody slowly while following the metronome.. and then gradually increase your speed. Practice slowly and dont rush, and I'm sure you'll give much better results in a short period.

Cheers !

mrkmni - 5-12-2010 at 04:54 PM

Thanks Reda for the advice.
My metronome is my hart beating. It is not rythmic though.
With oud I like playing freely without a constraint of rythm, so that I transform a song to a Taksim.
please bear me :)

alloushé - 5-13-2010 at 02:04 AM

:))

fhalaw - 5-29-2010 at 02:36 PM

Very nice Reda!
I will try to do a version soon..I also have a ghadban with Daniel Mari.

Reda Aouad - 5-29-2010 at 02:44 PM

Mine had D'Addario for this recording.. but now sounds a lot better with La Bella.

Looking forward for your version :)

Benjamin - 6-27-2010 at 12:14 PM

Reda nice version, enjoyed your interesting picking