Mike's Oud Forums

Newest Oud

Mike - 8-8-2004 at 05:29 AM

Hey everybody,

Check out the latest pictures of my newest oud. I just got it yesterday. It is made out of sycamore and ebony with some very intricate wood-in-wood inlay work. Another amazing oud again by Maurice and his boys at Al Aseel. The face was inspired by one of Farid el-Atrache's old ouds, and it is similar to that of Huckster's oud we've seen before on the forums. It doesn't just look pretty, but sounds incredible already, and it isn't even broken in yet. I am very happy with how this oud turned out. Maurice also sent me a couple of shots of the oud in progress. I'll attach those here.

Mike

Greg - 8-8-2004 at 05:44 AM

Mabrouk Mike.:bounce:

A very beautiful looking instrument.

Greg

sarmad - 8-8-2004 at 10:21 AM

realy beautiful
mabrook

Spectacular

SamirCanada - 8-9-2004 at 04:59 PM

Does He ever Fail?

My guess is NO hehe. every single oud comming out of al-aseel is of marvelous quality.

And of course Mabrouk ya Mike for the 3oud. Iam shure it will be played like it should.

mavrothis - 8-9-2004 at 05:40 PM

Mike!

Mabrouk my friend!!!!! Helwa!

I love this oud my man, Mr. Shehata and his guys are true artists. I am so happy for you!!!!! It is really spectacular.

Enjoy!

By the way, my Roufan Nahat copy by Dimitris just came in, here are some pictures of this oud. It sounds beautiful, and it's still a baby. :bounce:

mav :)

mavrothis - 8-9-2004 at 05:41 PM

and...

mavrothis - 8-9-2004 at 05:42 PM

and...

mavrothis - 8-9-2004 at 05:43 PM

here is a look at the inlay on the back near the edge, simple but elegant...he left the ribs to be very bumpy on purpose to mimic some of the old ouds he has seen. I really love the sound of this oud, very strong and Arabic, with long sustain on open or fingered notes.

Thanks to Dimitris for this great oud...and to Maurice for yours Mike. We've gotten two very great additions to our families at the same time, I'm sure that is a good omen. :)

david - 8-9-2004 at 07:43 PM

:applause: Mabrouk to Mike and Mav on their latest ouds:applause:

Elie Riachi - 8-9-2004 at 09:02 PM

Mabrook friends.

Mav, is your new oud just a copy in appearence or does it also have the exact dimensions and bracing pettern as an original Roufan Nahat?

Regards,
Elie

mavrothis - 8-9-2004 at 09:12 PM

Hi Elie,

It is actually more a Roufan copy in bracing and dimensions than in appearance. Dimitris based it's construction on a Roufan Nahat owned by Haig Yazdjan, and then added elements to it's appearance from other old ouds and his own imagination.

The rosette is not a Nahat copy, but one of his own rosettes with a small version of the bone center piece seen on Nahat ouds. The body size is not larger than normal, but the string length from nut to bridge is longer than both my M. Shehata and F. Shehata ouds, probably mirroring the scale of the Nahat he based the design on.

:)

Take care,

mav

Jameel - 8-10-2004 at 09:12 AM

Wow, Mav. Very nice. Let's hear it!

Mike - 8-10-2004 at 01:52 PM

Yeah Mavro....mabrouk my man! Your oud looks super clean bro. D-Money did a wonderful job. Let's hear that bad boy. :airguitar:

Take care,
Mike

Dimitris Nahat Sound File

mavrothis - 8-10-2004 at 06:34 PM

Hi guys,

Here is a sound file of my Nahat copy by Dimitris. I used my pc mic since my other equipment isn't set up, but I think you can get a nice idea of the great tone and sustain this oud has. I love it! Na'sai kala Dimitri!

By the way, I got to hear Mike's new Shehata oud, it's really beautiful. Mabrouk again Mike!

mav

Mike - 8-10-2004 at 07:28 PM

Mavro,

Killer sounding oud. The sustain and projection are amazing. Awesome bass too. Very lovely sounding oud, and your playing is excellent as well.

Congrats again bro,
Mike

Nahat oud.

wfspark - 8-13-2004 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Mavro,

Killer sounding oud. The sustain and projection are amazing. Awesome bass too. Very lovely sounding oud, and your playing is excellent as well.

Congrats again bro,
Mike
Hey Mav. Is that oud anything like Spyros Mesogeia's Syrian oud?

William F. Sparks

mavrothis - 8-13-2004 at 01:57 PM

Hi William,

I'm not sure how close this oud is to Spyros' Syrian style oud by Dimitris. This one was constructed using a Roufan Nahat oud as it's basis. Also, this oud has a walnut body, while Spyros' oud has a Paduk/Wenge body.

Also, if I remember correctly, Spyros' oud has a much different tone this one.

Take care,

mav

journeyman - 8-13-2004 at 03:35 PM

Two more beautiful works of art! Congratulations to you both. Mike, you are getting quite a collection of Shehata ouds. That is a beautiful thing.

All the best,
Roy

Hey Mike,

Sidi - 8-19-2004 at 05:27 PM

I know this is kinda late, but I just want to say alf alf mabrouk bro...and here's a little something to celebrate the new baby:

spyros mesogeia - 8-22-2004 at 08:48 AM

yes,Mavro,your oud is diferent than mine,but my next one will be like yours.....
I have to find a new job man,I need more money to get and one of this,after my Bashir type that I am waiting for.........:D