Mike's Oud Forums

Contest: Taksim Sikah

mrkmni - 9-18-2010 at 06:57 PM

Contest: Taksim Sikah

I would like to invite members to put a taksim with their playing in order to share and reherse the maqamat. If you like the idea, let me know.

We start with maqam Sikah; I will soon pout my improvised takssim in that maqam.

Thanks for participating.

mrkmni - 9-24-2010 at 01:53 PM

Ok guys time is over.

No body can do a takssim sikah:))

contest is cancelled.

katakofka - 9-24-2010 at 10:23 PM

no no no ..not over
here you go
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=11168#pid76...

fernandraynaud - 9-25-2010 at 02:02 AM

Yeah, hold your horses! I though you'd start with YOU doing a Sikah taqsim, show us, I was waiting for your lead! And what kind of contest starts with nothing? Me, I've had guests, can't rush, why not 1) do your taqsim, 2) give everybody a little time?

And see, Sultan Katakofka's not shy, if Nasseer Shamma can do a pyramid, Katakofka can add a new Maqam. I think it has a lot of potential. I don't like all these Maqam names being based on the name of some remote Tir stop. In MY hemisphere, we'd have, for instance, maqam Los Mochis. If you've ever been to Los Mochis,

LosMochis1.jpg - 47kB LosMochis2.jpg - 73kB

the big question there is: can you find shade for both the donkey AND the little yellow dog ... if they come for Noel.

So I propose a non-regional name for Katakofka's maqam: Sikah Sikah Wah Wah Wah.

mrkmni - 9-25-2010 at 05:34 AM

Katakofka;
Really very very nice Sika!

Fernand:
I thaught the prize ( sorry I have only one risha:( ) was missing...

SamirCanada - 9-25-2010 at 06:49 AM

yaah hold mang!
I am going to make my version soon :)

not to win anything though... just to share music.

Mkrmni, are you in Ottawa now?

lets hang out :)

katakofka - 9-25-2010 at 08:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  

So I propose a non-regional name for Katakofka's maqam: Sikah Sikah Wah Wah Wah.

Fernand...ur mistaken...this is not a regional siga..Siga mzahzah is highly international. Mzahzah (in arabic) is a stage you reach after couple of beers. Note that this siga begins by being mzahzah and it ends by total KO..natural path and international:cool:

katakofka - 9-25-2010 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mrkmni  
Katakofka;
Really very very nice Sika!

glad you like it but you must be 18+ to listen to it :rolleyes:

SamirCanada - 9-25-2010 at 09:55 AM

Kessak ya abou sous. ;)

katakofka - 9-25-2010 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SamirCanada  
Kessak ya abou sous. ;)

alf sa77a w hana ya sousou

mrkmni - 9-25-2010 at 12:38 PM

Kata:
Your right sika is for mature only only..

Samir:
yes I moved from Montréal recently..

fernandraynaud - 9-25-2010 at 12:41 PM

So nobody likes "Sikah Sikah Wah Wah Wah" ? How about "sikah mzahzah wah wah wah"? I vaguely remember playing a taqsim in that maqam in the back seat of the car last night. My head still hurts.

As to maqam Los Mochis, some 20 years ago we were looking for fuel for our (borrowed) twin engine Cessna over northern Mexico, and Los Mochis wasn't answering on the radio. We landed on the dirt runway by the limp wind-sock, and realized the radio had been stolen, the landing lights were broken, and the locals were stumbling around drinking beer, looking for shade and tripping over the donkey -- in NO condition to service the plane. Hot air smothering everything, and the Sea of Cortez sparkling like hot asphalt; not a single wave. Siesta time. Scrawny iguanas would dart from behind a rock, running for cover to the next pile of boulders, and stop, as if regretting it. The birds, too lazy to sing, invisible. Maybe cooked like roast chickens. A lone tomato plant tied to a stick with an old sock. Some skinny palm trees, and a sprinkling of weeds. A lot of dust, waiting for some wind, and lazy slow-buzzing flies. Los Mochis means "the flies". We pumped our own gas and taped the money to the pump. It's fortunate they had some fuel, as 1) Los Mochis is the last gas until Mazatlan, and 2) Los Mochis had nothing else to offer. Nowadays if you Googlemap it, you can see that irrigation has at least done wonders for the local agriculture.

The next stop, Mazatlan, was a real city. Commercial jets would land there. We circled looking for the strip, and it was getting quite dark. No airport lights, and nobody answers on the radio. This was pre-GPS, so we were getting very nervous circling over the hills, wondering if we would run out of gas before we crashed into something in the dark, or after. Finally someone (who sounded like he had been sleeping) answered on the emergency channel. "Oh, Senor, sorry, we turn off the lights at night. No problem, we turn on for you now!" So, do they usually turn them on at daybreak? A slow pace, back then! Now it's all condos and hotels and taxis and taco stands. It was so beautiful before it became a monopoly game board.

You know, it feels like on the West Coast of the American continent, we've reached the edge of the earth. We traveled towards the West in covered wagons and chevrolets, with our children and our goats and donkeys, and we got here, and the Pacific is as far as you can go. I miss the Old World, so far away. The Spanish colonists must have felt it too. Being appointed Governor of Mexico must have felt like being voted king of Neptune! My friend Xolotl portrays Mexico from a heartfelt side in his synthy Mexecho album. That first track, Balboa, perfectly captures the bittersweet heart ache of standing at the end of the road, like conquistadors in armor looking out over the endless Ocean that says "no further!"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QZZUZE/ref=dm_sp_alb

I'm just recording an oud track on a piece we are working on together, he in France, me in California, we send the project files back and forth over FTP; he says that I'm putting oud on everything these days, like salt. Occupational hazard! :D

The Saz is starting to see some use too.

mrkmni - 9-25-2010 at 12:45 PM

mzahzah means slightly moved...

When I said Sika, I meant any sika derivation like huzzam, iraq,...so mzahzah is accepted:)..

myeyes2020 - 9-26-2010 at 02:29 PM

Thanks mrkimmi for this post. I think it's a great idea and I'd like to encourage it by posting my own taqsim.

katakfka, very interesting taqsim.

Samir, did you forget to post "soon?" yalla get cracking.

Fernand, enough chit chat and some siga taqsim please.

Sorry for the quality of the video but i cant seem to get windows live movie maker of windows 7 to cooperate. It's maqam siga with associated maqamat. I'll leave analaysis to you and if you have any questions, I'll answer. Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIyqTVi48Ak

I look forward to other posts.

mrkmni - 9-26-2010 at 07:00 PM

Nice shot Myeyes; I appreciate it.

Fernand: stop speaking and start picking.

Sousou: Dont be scared...it is not difficult.

katakofka - 9-26-2010 at 07:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by myeyes2020  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIyqTVi48Ak

I look forward to other posts.

aiwa ya siidi....you did well passing by all the maqamaat

SamirCanada - 9-26-2010 at 07:40 PM

I was busy this weekend my friends.
tomorrow I will try and put something up.

SamirCanada - 9-27-2010 at 06:42 PM

Here you go folks.
I just keep realizing... the more time I spend in the workshop, the more my playing level suffers and vice versa. I really gotta start practicing more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RyXti74_j0

fernandraynaud - 9-27-2010 at 07:11 PM

Whoa, MyEyes, that's one heck of an shamsa on that oud, is that a Fadi Matta?

myeyes2020 - 9-27-2010 at 07:22 PM

Whoa, MyEyes, that's one heck of an shamsa on that oud, is that a Fadi Matta?

Yes it's a Fadi Matta oud :)

Samir,

That was cool! But why haven't you had time to practiced, are you married or something?...lol

katakofka - 9-27-2010 at 09:53 PM

Ladies and gentlemen

a Siga but this time mzahzah mzahzah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbdb_ZW_drM

do not listen and drive please

SamirCanada - 9-28-2010 at 04:18 AM

Very nice kata! I like mzazah^2

Anyways, yah being married would be an easy excuse... And actualy I like easy excuses so let's go with that one. :)

Obviusly my sweet half doesn't visit the forums.

mrkmni - 9-28-2010 at 12:40 PM

Yaini ala essiga elmzahzaha

samir: Eih elhalawa dih

Reda Aouad - 9-29-2010 at 08:18 AM

This is not a taksim, but a composition by Andre Hajj on Iraq..

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=11185

mrkmni - 9-29-2010 at 05:36 PM

CONTEST UPDATE:

So far, we have 4 Participants, and tey are all winners...:applause:

Reda Aouad - 9-29-2010 at 11:18 PM

I was not really participating to the contest :rolleyes:
Maybe I should then !

Btw Samir.. is that the Oud you made? I didn't follow your oud making story till the end maybe.. so excuse me not knowing what the result is. And if it is, it sounds really good for the first oud ! Congratulations :)

SamirCanada - 9-30-2010 at 03:25 AM

I didnt expect to be assessed and scored...
I should have been in 4th. Anyways it really is not what playing music is all about :(

Thanks Reda, Yah it is the oud I made.
I dont play it enough because its turns out its quite hard to hold (the bowl turned out HUGE!) and the string spacing at the bridge is waaaayyy to wide.

Mkrmni... time to play some music homey.

katakofka - 9-30-2010 at 04:13 AM

mrkmni aziizi

if you are putting scores to what people are posting some of them will not participate because they don't like to be judged. if the idea behind the thread is to encourage people to practice and share putting scores might be a bad idea.
beside...what's the best scorer will win?:cool:
I want a Matta Oud fully decorated :airguitar:

Reda Aouad - 9-30-2010 at 04:15 AM

You may want to try a Ghadban like mine Souheil ;)

myeyes2020 - 9-30-2010 at 07:50 AM

Samir,

I'm a fan of big bowls and dont know what you mean by difficult to hold. if you mean that it slips, here is an idea.
Issa Boulos recommended a non adhesive shelf liner cut to size and placed on your lap to avoid slipping. You a have a beautiful sounding oud.

link to show shelf liner
http://www.duckbrand.com/Products/shelf-liner/non-adhesive-liners.a...

katakofka - 9-30-2010 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Reda Aouad  
You may want to try a Ghadban like mine Souheil ;)

Reda:o I don't change religion and faith..what you are asking is a blasphamation...Ghadban is for al Koffaaaaaaaar
Beside, how do you play a Oud made by a Ghadban (furious, or mad) ? You'll end up doing music for wars...pay attention:cool:

SamirCanada - 9-30-2010 at 09:24 AM

Myeyes: I mean it's to deep so hard to reach around compared to my other ouds.

mrkmni - 9-30-2010 at 11:54 AM

Ok guys, nothing serious and no results; have you ever seen a contest without winner though?

Reda Aouad - 9-30-2010 at 12:02 PM

We've never seen a contest without a prize :D

ALAMI - 10-1-2010 at 11:02 AM

Contest or no contest, who cares? Just keep'em coming.

It's been a while. I've been off boards and almost off oud and you guys made me want to play some Sikah, I have to try to learn the much advanced Kata's technique of Mzahzah, got a box of Almaza and some Arak Baladi, will try first non-working week-end.

Here is some unfortunately-not-yet-mzahzah-Rahat Al Arwah, you know, the guy who lives in the lower floor of Huzam In Sikah House. Not really a taksim, kind of a mawal, played on grandPa Arja that John is analyzing in the other Thread.

Attachment: RahetAlArwah.mp3 (875kB)
This file has been downloaded 219 times

myeyes2020 - 10-1-2010 at 04:49 PM

Alami!

That was real cool! Very melow. Sounds a little like Riad al Sumbati.

mrkmni - 10-2-2010 at 07:06 AM

Welcome back alami; short but sweet..

katakofka - 10-2-2010 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ALAMI  
Contest or no contest, who cares? Just keep'em coming.

It's been a while. I've been off boards and almost off oud and you guys made me want to play some Sikah, I have to try to learn the much advanced Kata's technique of Mzahzah, got a box of Almaza and some Arak Baladi, will try first non-working week-end.

Here is some unfortunately-not-yet-mzahzah-Rahat Al Arwah, you know, the guy who lives in the lower floor of Huzam In Sikah House. Not really a taksim, kind of a mawal, played on grandPa Arja that John is analyzing in the other Thread.

hhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa
Alami...the Siga should be mzahzah...not you :rolleyes:

mrkmni - 10-2-2010 at 05:15 PM

For sika (siga) lovers

Attachment: NonStop Sika.mp3 (977kB)
This file has been downloaded 286 times

fernandraynaud - 10-10-2010 at 03:53 AM

Another Segah contribution, in reaction to the wise suggestion to stop yakkin' and start pickin'. In the dive on the video, they were ALL mzahzah, including the camera operator, which is why it's called "Submarine Dance".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0iv4YsuJyM

;)

katakofka - 10-10-2010 at 07:16 AM

Another Segah contribution, in reaction to the wise suggestion to stop yakkin' and start pickin'. In the dive on the video, they were ALL mzahzah, including the camera operator, which is why it's called "Submarine Dance".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0iv4YsuJyM

;)

c'est joli...original et nouveau

mrkmni - 10-10-2010 at 06:09 PM

;)

Great effort Fernand. Even though the segah is not very focuced on, I think you are the winner of the contest...
Did you film it in a Bar?

myeyes2020 - 10-10-2010 at 10:50 PM

Rest in peace Cinuçen Tanrıkorur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrNeK6AH9q0&feature=watch_respon...

fernandraynaud - 10-11-2010 at 03:57 AM

Thanks for the vote, Mrkmni. As to the "video", it was shot in a DIVE (q.v.), one of the most odious I've visited in a while. In San Francisco most of the old wooden houses have been beautifully repainted and renovated. And then there are some 2 story doghouses that have been deemed unworthy of renovation and will stand in original foghorn lament condition until they burn down or fall apart. This is one of them, it's over some hill on the way to nowhere, and everything about the establishment within is true to form. The music is bad, the toilets are clogged, the regulars are mean and the liquor is watered. Don't ask about the "food" that you can see the cook sloshing around the grill.