Mike's Oud Forums

Changes at Khalaf Oud Luthiery and OudStrings.com

Jameel - 2-18-2011 at 09:30 AM

For various personal reasons I've decided to scale back my involvement in the retail aspects of my website, Khalaf Oud Luthiery. I've rather enjoyed offering my services these past few years, and developing a relationship with loyal customers. That part I will miss. I've also been pleased to be a one-stop shop for oud supplies, providing the convenience of quick, easy ordering for oud enthusiasts around the world.

In the interest of continuing that service, I've offered this part of the business to a fellow oud enthusiast and friend, Brian Prunka. Brian's been a member here since early on, and I couldn't be more pleased by Brian's decision to take up the torch. As most of you know, Brian is an outstanding multi-intrumentalist, with a focus on guitar and oud. He's the founder of the Near East River Ensemble, and is a member of several other groups, spanning traditional Arabic music to jazz. He's performed with Simon Shaheen's Qantara, and has studied extensively with Shaheen and other well-known musicians like Bassam Saba. Brian is also an accomplished composer. His knowledge of the oud and passion for the instrument will make Oud Strings.com a great place to source your oud accessories.

Brian and I are trying to make the transition as seamless as possible, but please bear with us. There will be a few hiccups until everything is completely up and running. Thanks!

Click here to visit Brian Prunka's Oud Strings.com

Brian Prunka - 2-18-2011 at 09:35 AM

I just wanted to add that I'm still setting up the store, but I hope to be able to start taking orders in about a week.

I've got some plans for additional products like sheet music and hopefully some special string sets, so check in occasionally.

Cheers,
Brian

Hatem_Afandi - 2-19-2011 at 10:44 AM

Dear Jameel,

I am sure that I am not the only one who enjoyed dealing with you whether in terms of ordering items or with instrument repairs. I hope that you keep it up.

- I suggest that you share more details. If I would like to order a case, do I get it from you or from Brian?
- Are you still to busy to do repairs?
- Will it be OK to continue to harass you? :D

Hello Brian,

I wish you all the success in the world with this new venture.
I noticed that you are offering Pyramid Lute Strings in your site. When are you going to have them available? How can we order them?

Would you consider additional products like software, tuners, metronomes, and pickups?

Good luck to both of you,

Hatem

Brian Prunka - 2-19-2011 at 12:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hatem_Afandi  

- I suggest that you share more details. If I would like to order a case, do I get it from you or from Brian?

Hello Brian,

I wish you all the success in the world with this new venture.
I noticed that you are offering Pyramid Lute Strings in your site. When are you going to have them available? How can we order them?

Would you consider additional products like software, tuners, metronomes, and pickups?

Good luck to both of you,

Hatem

Thanks, Hatem. Jameel is still selling the Khalaf oud cases, I won't be carrying them.

Re: Pyramid strings, for now I will just be carrying the standard oud set that Jameel was carrying. I plan on talking to Pyramid about putting together some custom sets as well. I'll post details as that develops.

I'm open to suggestions for other items that people would like me to carry. Tuners, metronomes and software are definitely on the agenda. Pickups might be in the future, but I want to make sure the main focus is on strings for now.

cheers,
Brian

callmefarid - 2-19-2011 at 06:07 PM

What about the rishas that khalaf sells?

Jameel - 2-19-2011 at 06:54 PM

As Brian stated, I am still offering my cases. They are still available as usual on the website.

I may do some repair work at some point, but I'm still not taking on any repairs right now.

You can always harass me, Hatem. As long as you pay me for it. ;)

Jameel - 2-19-2011 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by callmefarid  
What about the rishas that khalaf sells?

My remaining stock of Pyramid Pro picks will be available at OudStrings.com, as well as Mizrite and Talonite pick blanks.

bibo10 - 2-19-2011 at 09:42 PM

it was always a pleasure dealing with Jameel and good look to Brian.
Khalaf, was my purchase of humidifier your last order???? lol

spyros mesogeia - 2-20-2011 at 09:46 PM

It is always wonderful to see here all this comunity to be so united.
I have to say that Jameel is a true friend and honest person.I really apprecaite his help and his advices.
Brian my friend,for sure we will need you in the future.
Will be also the website like Jameels,by paypall and staff?
Thank you in advance
Spyros

abusin - 2-21-2011 at 03:14 AM

Thanks Jameel for your services it has been a pleasure dealing with you my friend, always prompt and on the ball on advice and services. Don't tel me you're stopping oud making too? I hope not.
Best regards to you and I wish you luck.

Brian congrats and I am sure you're the best candidate for the job, I wish you all the best and I am sure you will do well and you will hopefully enjoy it too as most of your customers will be from this forum.

Jameel - 2-21-2011 at 06:54 PM

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate your kind words. Actually, I hope that passing on the oud strings business to Brian might free up a little more time for oud making. Who knows what the future holds? If I did, I'd be writing this from a hammock in Barbados, with one of those drinks with an umbrella in it. :))

spyros mesogeia - 2-21-2011 at 07:16 PM

:D:wavey:

Brian Prunka - 2-21-2011 at 07:22 PM

Thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to helping everyone get the strings they need.

Spyros, the site's checkout will be based on paypal, though it's not necessary to have a paypal account.

cheers,
Brian

spyros mesogeia - 2-21-2011 at 07:40 PM

Ok Brother,
I hardly wait.....
:wavey:

Brian Prunka - 2-24-2011 at 07:10 PM

Greetings fellow oudis,

I just wanted to post an update on the progress with OudStrings.com.

I have most of the issues sorted out (I think) and the website should be accepting orders sometime tomorrow.

If you live outside the U.S. and have trouble ordering, it's most likely because I haven't set up shipping to your country yet. There are a lot of countries in the world!

Just contact me from the website and I'll add your location.

I can't possibly test all possible scenarios, so please let me know if you have any problems or suggestions.

You can use the contact form on the website for any questions or if you have trouble ordering through the website for any reason.

Thanks for your patience!

cheers,
Brian

Brian Prunka - 2-25-2011 at 07:56 AM

Here goes nothing!

OudStrings.com

is now operational. I'm accepting orders and crossing my fingers that everything works. I'll be updating the inventory throughout the day, so if there's something you want that you don't see, check back later or just email me and I'll move it to the top of the list.

And please contact me if you have any problems or suggestions at all, I want to make everything work as well as possible.

Thanks,
Brian

Coupon

Brian Prunka - 3-1-2011 at 01:52 PM

To thank all of you for your support, I'm giving you a coupon for OudStrings.com.

It's good for 10% off your order, but only for the weekend of 3/4.
You can only use it on one order, so choose wisely!

Code:MIKETEN211

USA orders have been working smoothly, but I haven't had any international orders yet. If you have a problem, let me know.

suz_i_dil - 3-5-2011 at 06:31 AM

Hi Brian,

you were talking of suggestion, and wanted to propose to get Aquila normal tension set (arabic tuning). It may be nice for those among us who have ouds with shorter stringlength, like 58.5 or 57 cm.
I got some light tension sets with Jameel. Aquila strings sound great but I found light tension set a bit low on a 58.5.

Just an idea anyway, and wishing you good luck for the beginning.
Regards

Brian Prunka - 3-5-2011 at 06:47 AM

Thanks, suz_i_dil,

I'm glad you mentioned this now, I was just about to order more strings from Aquila, so I will definitely add some normal tension strings to the order.

I'd like to make the site as convenient for everyone as possible, so any suggestions are welcome. I'm looking into the possibility of carrying tuners and pickups as well.

Cheers,
Brian

myeyes2020 - 3-5-2011 at 10:15 PM

I just received my products today from oudstrings.com . Many thanks to Brian for a prompt and curteous service.

Also, many thanks to Jameel for many years of great service as well!

Adel

maryisk - 3-6-2011 at 02:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
To thank all of you for your support, I'm giving you a coupon for OudStrings.com.

It's good for 10% off your order, but only for the weekend of 3/4.
You can only use it on one order, so choose wisely!

Code:MIKETEN211

USA orders have been working smoothly, but I haven't had any international orders yet. If you have a problem, let me know.

Brian, it would be great if the site allowed Visa payments as i'm having some trouble with my paypal account. i don't know if it already does, or if it's just not an option for me since i'm ordering out of canada.

Oh and:

Error: Coupon is either invalid, expired or reached its usage limit!

:(

Brian Prunka - 3-6-2011 at 04:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by maryisk  

Brian, it would be great if the site allowed Visa payments as i'm having some trouble with my paypal account. i don't know if it already does, or if it's just not an option for me since i'm ordering out of canada.

It should work, but you have to do a guest checkout with Paypal, I think. You need to clear your cookies on your browser, or try using a different browser so PayPal doesn't automatically go to your account.

Quote:

Oh and:

Error: Coupon is either invalid, expired or reached its usage limit!

:(

Sorry, my mistake. It should work now.

Brian Prunka - 3-6-2011 at 04:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by myeyes2020  
I just received my products today from oudstrings.com . Many thanks to Brian for a prompt and curteous service.

Also, many thanks to Jameel for many years of great service as well!

Adel

Thanks, Adel!

Suggestions . . . ?

Brian Prunka - 3-10-2011 at 04:33 PM

I'm considering adding some other oud string options to my store, and I would welcome everyone's suggestions.

Are there brands of strings that you would like to see? Mari, Galli, Thomastik, Hannabach, Savarez? Others?

Are there Aquila, D'Addario or Pyramid Strings you want besides the ones I have? I'm getting already some regular tension Aquilas with my next order.

Additional risha options? I'm looking into stocking the cow horn rishas from mid-east mfg., as well as some other synthetic options.

Thanks,
Brian

myeyes2020 - 3-11-2011 at 06:37 PM

i would definitey buy kurshner strings and if it's not worth your while to carry them, I like your suggestion as to where i can easily order them. krushner.com doesnt respond to my emails.

adel

dkhoury35 - 3-11-2011 at 07:42 PM

hello brian I would love a set of strings any brand as long as they are great!!!! that are for the tunings G AA DD GG CC FF do you have any in stock?

Brian Prunka - 3-12-2011 at 07:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dkhoury35  
hello brian I would love a set of strings any brand as long as they are great!!!! that are for the tunings G AA DD GG CC FF do you have any in stock?

The LaBella Arabic oud set works for that tuning. I have single strings that would allow you to add a high F course to any set of strings.

It's helpful to know the scale (string length) of the oud and whether it has a floating or fixed bridge.
You can send me an email at: info (at) oudstrings (dot) com to discuss your options.

thanks,
Brian

amtaha - 3-15-2011 at 04:38 PM

Received my order last week.

Brian, you needn't be this fast. ;-)

Thanks, though.

Pyramid Lute Strings

Brian Prunka - 4-25-2011 at 06:07 PM

Hello all,

I am going to be placing an order with Pyramid strings soon, and will be ordering some lute strings. If you have any special requests, please let me know here or through email and I will do my best to stock them.

Also, I will soon be carrying Savarez lute strings, with both rectified nylon and carbon trebles. They are very high quality strings.

cheers,
Brian

Jason - 4-27-2011 at 09:27 PM

Hey Brian

Very cool to see you taking on this task. When I first saw the thread I thought Jameel was closing up shop. When I first started playing oud I remember how hard it was to get much of anything in the USA.

I look forward to checking out those Savarez strings. I've used the copper wound Aquilas for years but I think it's time to try something new.

Hatem_Afandi - 4-28-2011 at 04:35 PM

Hello Brian,

I noticed that you have been out of the LaBella Arabic strings for a while:

http://www.oudstrings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=...

Are you planning on getting some?

Thanks

Hatem

Brian Prunka - 4-28-2011 at 05:12 PM

Hi Hatem,

I have a shipment coming in, FedEx says they will be here Saturday.

LaBella strings are challenging to get, they are not very cooperative with a small business such as this. They also have raised their prices a LOT recently. I am going to try to keep the price down as long as I can, but after this batch sells out, the price will probably have to go up significantly.

I don't know if it will be worth it to continue carrying them if I have to charge $26 per set. We'll see. Of course, I welcome your input on the matter.

thanks,
Brian

Hatem_Afandi - 4-28-2011 at 05:30 PM

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the prompt response.
I do commend you on your dedication. Please don't give up. Everyone has to start somewhere.
I will keep checking for them.

I looked up the prices on Ebay. Only one supplier charges 23.95 + "standard shipping charges" of 7.95

The rest sellers on Ebay charge $31 ~ $32 + shipping.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&...

I believe you are fair.

It is really exciting to learn that you are stocking the Pyramid Lute Strings.
My question is: How do I order thru you? Do I have to spec the diameter and the tune per string?
Best Regards,

Hatem

Brian Prunka - 4-29-2011 at 10:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hatem_Afandi  
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the prompt response.
I do commend you on your dedication. Please don't give up. Everyone has to start somewhere.
I will keep checking for them.

I looked up the prices on Ebay. Only one supplier charges 23.95 + "standard shipping charges" of 7.95

The rest sellers on Ebay charge $31 ~ $32 + shipping.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&...

I believe you are fair.

It is really exciting to learn that you are stocking the Pyramid Lute Strings.
My question is: How do I order thru you? Do I have to spec the diameter and the tune per string?
Best Regards,

Hatem

Thanks, Hatem. I have some bad news, though. I wasn't able to get as many sets as I thought, so I actually only have two sets of the LaBella Arabic strings. If you want them let me know, otherwise I'll put them up on the site.

I don't judge LaBella, I understand that they are a big company and oud strings are probably a pretty insignificant part of their business, but I wish I didn't have to go through a 3rd party to get their strings. Aquila, Pyramid, Savarez, and D'addario are all happy to work with me directly.

I can also put together a similar set of D'addario strings for 18.50.

For the Pyramid Lute strings, I plan to create a couple of sets based on what I like to use and any suggestions/requests people have. While some customization may be possible, I don't plan to have completely 'custom' sets.
I will be ordering soon, so if you have special requests (even if it's very general, like tunings and low/med/high tension), now is the time to let me know!

Thanks again to everyone for your support!

-Brian

Hatem_Afandi - 4-29-2011 at 10:53 AM

My Pleasure, Brian.

I am sure that ALL of us do appreciate your diligent effort and dedication.
Unfortunately, I did place an order for the LaBella last nite.

The D'addario option might sound like a good idea if we get the right tunes. Can you do the same for the Acquilla strings?

I suggest that you get the following sets for both the D'addario, Acquilla, and the Pyramid Lute Strings:

F, A, D, G, C, high F.

Best Regards,

Hatem

ameer - 4-29-2011 at 11:04 AM

A set for downtuning would be nice. Perhaps one that is at medium tension at halfstep down and low tension at wholestep (give or take an eighth or two) down.

abusin - 6-9-2011 at 01:36 AM

Hi Brian,

Sent you two enquires through the oudstrings site, and a U2U..
Can you please have a look
Thanks

Brian Prunka - 6-9-2011 at 04:06 PM

Hi everyone, just wanted to mention that I have LaBella Arabic strings back in stock, and I have Aquila high F sets in both standard and light tension. I also have individual nylgut strings available, but they're not in the store yet.
Thanks to everyone for your support!

cheers,
Brian

Kelly - 6-11-2011 at 12:44 PM

Hi Brian

Just a suggestion re Pyramid Lute strings I am using trebles mainly and for 60 cm scale length going for c PY 650 RN and g PY 850 RN as med/light for Safi oud I am also trying higher tension c PY 700 RN and g PY 900 RN as med tension on Moussa oud I dont know of other peoples experence/preferences.

I oder these locally from Early Music shop nr Bradfod West Yorkshire. they are charging around £4.50 incl VAT. I've not been brave enough to order a set coz of the cost- shipping from Germany is so expensive so if you could get any cheaper deals I'll go with you Brian.

Brian Prunka - 7-14-2011 at 09:19 AM

I now have the Pyramid 650/11 set back in stock.

I have a limited number of custom sets available made of Pyramid lute strings as well. These are excellent low-tension sets and what I prefer to use on my own ouds.

There are a few options:

light cc and gg courses for long-scale (61.5cm+) ouds (or if you simply prefer lighter plain strings)
med cc and gg courses for most ouds (still good for 61-62cm if you like a little bit more tension on the plain strings)

Slightly heavier F/G course for shorter scale ouds (59cm or less).

You can also mix and match with Aquila trebles and D'addario strings if you like, just contact me.

The basic 11-string set is US$58. I was hoping to sell them a bit cheaper but the Euro has been trouncing the dollar lately . . .

Also Aquila trebles are available as well.

cheers,
Brian

Brian Prunka - 8-21-2011 at 09:45 AM

Hi everyone,

I just returned from Simon's Shaheen's retreat, and OudStrings.com is back online.

I now have Daniel Mari oud strings available. For now, there is just the one set (low tension), but I hope to continue dealing with him and maybe work on some additional options in the future.

cheers,
Brian

Brian Prunka - 8-30-2011 at 01:04 PM

Unfortunately, I have been unable to work out a sustainable relationship with LaBella. I am going to discontinue offering them for the forseeable future. I have a couple of OU80 sets left and a few OU80A sets coming in, which will be the last ones.

I have assembled a custom set from the D'Addario singles which is similar to the OU80A set and should be a good replacement. D'Addario seems amenable to working with me on some Arabic sets, hopefully something will come of it.

The Daniel Mari set and the MusiCaravan Turkish sets are good replacements for the OU80 set.

As always, I'll keep you informed of future developments.

Brian Prunka - 1-7-2012 at 03:44 PM

Hey Everyone, just wanted to announce that I now have Savarez strings available. The 10-string Leonida set that is suitable for Arabic oud as well as custom lute sets with either rectified Nylon or Carbon fiber (PVF) trebles.
The lute sets compare very favorably to the Pyramid custom lute sets, and are priced a bit lower. I haven't figured out the exact pricing yet, but it will be around $50/set.

I can also mix and match sets among the Savarez, Pyramid, Aquila and D'addario strings if you have something custom in mind.

thanks to everyone who's been a customer, it's been almost a year since I started and I've really enjoyed supplying everyone with strings.

best,
Brian

PS. I do have LaBella strings back in stock again, for the time being -both OU80 and OU80A.

charlie oud - 1-9-2012 at 08:28 AM

Great news Brian. I am aware of the high quality of Savarez lute strings but I am not familiar with the 'Leonida' set.
Are the bass strings in the Leonida set suitable as a low tension bass set for Arabic oud at A=440?
This would figure if they are suitable for Arabic or Turkish tuning.
Also wondering if you have tried the Leonida set?
Thanks for you fine string service and ongoing advice.:bowdown:

Brian Prunka - 1-9-2012 at 11:36 AM

Hi Charlie,

I haven't tried the Leonida set, but I did measure the gauges and they are fairly light on the wound strings. I expect that they would provide fairly light tension in Arabic tuning, and would work on a 61+cm oud. They may be too light for some tastes on a shorter scale oud.

charlie oud - 1-10-2012 at 04:28 AM

Thanks Brian,
Am curious to give them a go, will order a set soon.

Kelly - 1-26-2012 at 12:52 PM

Hi Brian

Just interested in your Savarez Lute strings set copper wound and rectified nylon.

What approximate tension are they and gauge if comparable with Pyramid Lute set

c NR 650
g NR800
d PY1009
A PY 1017
F PY1020
C PY1236

Look forward to placing an order soon

Regards

Danielo - 1-26-2012 at 01:17 PM

Hi Kelly,

I have made a spreadsheet to compute the tensions of, in particular, all savarez lute strings :

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=10617#pid71...

Kelly - 1-26-2012 at 02:09 PM

Hi Danielo

Many Thanks. This is really useful. I'll use it to compare with Mathias' Pyramid data .

Brian Prunka - 1-26-2012 at 03:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Kelly  

Hi Brian

Just interested in your Savarez Lute strings set copper wound and rectified nylon.

What approximate tension are they and gauge if comparable with Pyramid Lute set

c NR 650
g NR800
d PY1009
A PY 1017
F PY1020
C PY1236

Look forward to placing an order soon

Regards

The Nylons are .640 and .830.
The difference between .640 and .650 is negligible. You may notice the slight increase in heaviness between .800 and .830. Otherwise, there is not much difference in the nylons, they are rectified as well.

The wound strings are calculated to 35N (3.56Kg) by Savarez.
This is a bit higher than the Pyramids you list above, but still a "low-tension" set.

Overall, they are comparable to what you list, but will have some slight differences, and slightly higher tension.

Brian Prunka - 1-28-2012 at 03:33 PM

I'm currently in discussions with D'addario about improving their oud string offerings. So, if you have any requests or suggestions, now would be the time to request or suggest them!

They seem to be very interested in serving the oud community better by expanding their offerings, so hopefully it will work out.

So far, I am focused on adding some products tailored to Arabic-style ouds, but if anyone has any thoughts on Turkish oud strings, they are welcome as well. Any preferences (rectified, plain, high tension, low tension, etc.) are welcome information.

In other news, it looks like I will soon offer Kurschner strings starting in early to mid February. There will be standard oud strings as well as premium sets from their historical/lute strings.

Kelly - 1-29-2012 at 12:20 PM

Thanks Brian for the clarification

I think I'll have to try a set of the Savarez soon.

Regards

andoni - 1-29-2012 at 03:00 PM

Hi Brian,

I am looking for Pyramid premium strings with the FADgcf tuning. I would like one set for a floating bridge and another for a regular oud. Do you have any in stock? If not what brands do you recommend for that tuning.

Thanks

Brian Prunka - 1-29-2012 at 03:20 PM

Hi Andoni,

I could put together a set for regular oud, but I don't have the premium strings in high enough tensions for floating bridge.

I think that Matthias has some over at music-strings.de.

The LaBella OU80A is made for F-f' tuning in higher tension (for floating bridge), and the Aquila 57O and 59O are also both suitable for floating bridge.

Volunteers wanted!

Brian Prunka - 1-31-2012 at 01:40 PM

I am looking for volunteers that are interested in trying the following:

1) a new plectrum material. It would be a blank, and you would have to shape it to your preferences. It is a bit hard to work with (ie. shaping) but offers a more organic sound, IMO.

2) Some prototype Arabic sets I'm working with D'addario on developing. I would need volunteers for floating bridge oud (F-f' tuning), and classic Arabic oud (C-c' tuning). Also volunteers, preferably with older instruments, to try a low-tension Arabic set made for antique ouds.

The plectrum blank can be had for shipping cost (1.00 in the US) or can be added to any regular order for no charge.

For the string sets, contact me and when they are ready I'll let you know.

The only condition is that I ask you to write a short review, and make suggestions.

spyros mesogeia - 2-1-2012 at 06:55 AM

Hello Brian,
You can count on me also for the string tentions,
the tunning that I use
is ff cc gg DD AA EE D
THE TREBLES THAT I USE NOW ARE AQUILA,and I would prefer not to change them,
Let me know
String length 57 cm

ameer - 2-1-2012 at 09:12 AM

Hi Brian. I would love to try the antique arabic oud set as I tend to play at that tension despite not having an antique oud. Is it designed for standard tuning?

Brian Prunka - 2-1-2012 at 09:13 AM

Yes, standard tuning. I anticipate that some people just prefer low tension even on modern ouds, I like it myself.

Cheers,
Brian

Omar Al-Mufti - 4-7-2012 at 04:42 AM

Hi Brian,
I've recently bought the two types of plectrum material in your webshop. They are both relatively hard. It is not easy to play techniques using them. It is also hard to blend low and high volume tone while playing using them. hard hard hard.
Cheers,
Omar

Brian Prunka - 4-7-2012 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Hi Brian,
I've recently bought the two types of plectrum material in your webshop. They are both relatively hard. It is not easy to play techniques using them. It is also hard to blend low and high volume tone while playing using them. hard hard hard.
Cheers,
Omar

Hi Omar,

Of course everyone has different preferences, but I can't say I agree with you--in my opinion, they are both relatively soft materials, softer than horn of the same thickness. I like softer rishas myself, but both of these materials are a bit on the soft side for even my tastes; I was even planning on increasing the thickness for the next batch.

In fact, regarding preferences, I just had another customer complain that our heavy Pyramid risha wasn't heavy enough!

The many professional oud players I know have no difficulty employing a variety of techniques, playing loud and soft, while using even much harder materials than these.

Regardless of our opinions though, the materials are very easy to make thinner if you want them softer. You can use a combination of sandpaper and emery paper, which can be found at your local hardware store. They are meant to be shaped to your preferences, this includes thickness.

best regards,
Brian

Brian Prunka - 6-12-2012 at 12:15 PM

I am happy to announce that I have started offering high-quality replacement pegs for ouds. These are made for ouds and are patterned after the knob design found on many Nahat ouds.

Currently offering Boxwood, Rosewood, and Ebony:

http://www.oudstrings.com/index.php?route=product/category&path...

Also, I am in the process of offering certain music CDs for sale, currently I exclusively have the otherwise out-of-print "Music Of Mohammed Abdel Wahab" by Simon Shaheen:

http://www.oudstrings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=...

I will be adding some other oud cds soon!

spyros mesogeia - 6-15-2012 at 10:47 AM

:airguitar::airguitar::airguitar::airguitar::airguitar::airguitar::wavey:

Brian Prunka - 7-26-2012 at 05:51 PM

Just thought I'd post a note about some new stuff . . .

Pyramid has been making custom oud rishas for me in heavier thicknesses than the standard ones. I now offer two styles in addition to their regular "pro" risha (I don't offer their plain oud pick because I feel it is too thin to be worthwhile).

Pyramid Heavy Risha

Pyramid Extra Heavy Risha

I also am introducing a new material for making your own picks. It is a bit difficult to work with compared to other materials (it is very durable), but if you like a stiff risha it comes very close to the sound of tortoiseshell.

Tortite Risha Blanks

Also, these little headstock tuners are great and essentially invisible to the audience when you are on stage:
NS Mini Headstock Tuner

Thanks to everyone who has been keeping the store going, it's been a pleasure helping folks out!

fernandraynaud - 7-26-2012 at 06:57 PM

Brian, can you explain the dimensions of your oud pegs? perhaps a drawing with dimensions shown?

Also how does that little tuner mount? Again an illustration is worth ... a hundred words.

Brian Prunka - 11-29-2012 at 05:50 PM

Hi Fernand, somehow I missed your message here earlier.

The peg dimensions are approximately 5.58cm (shaft length) x .95cm (wide end) x .83cm (narrow end).

I will try to take a photo with a ruler nearby.

The tuner has a small clip that is adjustable. I will take a picture of it on an oud so you can see, it works on most ouds but not all, if you give me the dimensions of your pegbox I can tell you whether it fits or not. I've been using one on live gigs and it works great even in very noisy environments.

Brian Prunka - 11-29-2012 at 05:56 PM

Just a heads up to the Savarez fans (and the Pyramid Lute fans), I've just got in a bunch of lute strings from Savarez for some custom sets. I've tweaked the tensions a bit from what I had previously, these should be great and very comparable to the Pyramid Lute. I also got them in both copper and silver this time, for a greater range of timbre.

They should come out about $10 less per set than the Pyramid, around $48/set (I have to do my Euro conversions to get the exact number).

I also got some options for the high f' folks.
None of this is in the store yet (I have to go through everything first) but you can email me if you have a question or want something.

The bad news is that they stopped making the plastic-wound nylon strings, which I had hoped could make a nice transition from the plain nylon to the metal wound (these have a very smooth transition anyway, but I'm always looking for new solutions).

The good news is that I am investigating some other cutting-edge solutions to the transition issues--I'll let you know when I have more info!

cheers,
Brian

reminore - 11-30-2012 at 04:37 AM

hi brian,

did you ever receive my email re your query on strings for the lavta that you had sent to mavrothis? just checking- perhaps it never made it to you...costa

Brian Prunka - 11-30-2012 at 05:58 AM

Hi Costa, yes, thanks I did receive it. Thank you for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it.

Brian Prunka - 1-30-2013 at 11:06 AM

Hi folks, I just wanted to let people know what's going on with OudStrings.com.

Unfortunately, international shipping rates have recently gone way up, primarily for small parcels (which is most oud string orders). Orders with multiple items are not affected quite as much as very small orders, since the lowest price tier has shrunk from 3 to 2 ounces while also being increased from about $5 to $7. I will be double-checking all shipping calculations and refunding price differences if it turns out that the shipping calculator overestimated your shipping charges. If you are trying to order and the shipping charges seem really high, just send me an email and I will check them for you.

In better news, I now have Daniel Mari strings back in stock. And for those who like the wounds but prefer alternative materials for the treble strings, I now have sets with only wound strings.

The khalaf oud cases pre-order list is filling up, so if you've been on the fence, it's time to get off!

cheers,
Brian

Brian Prunka - 7-11-2013 at 08:30 AM

I just got some of the plastic-wound nylon Savarez strings to test out. They have stopped making the full range, but apparently still make a few diameters for classical guitar. These look promising for the 2nd gg and 3rd dd courses. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Also, I've been playing on the new Savarez sets I have and I can report that they are excellent strings, very comparable to the Pyramid lute strings. I look forward to expanding the selection of these strings in the future.

I also have another shipment of pegs coming in soon, hopefully within the next month.

There are still a couple of oud cases left if you wanted one. Unfortunately, the case business doesn't look like it makes sense for me at this time, so after this batch I don't have any plans to make more in the foreseeable future.

I also got some high-quality pick material that looks promising . . . details to come.

cheers,
Brian

Bodhi - 7-11-2013 at 08:42 AM

Wow, plastic wound nylon... sounds interesting can't wait to hear what you think! Definately interested in them if they work out!

Brian Prunka - 7-11-2013 at 08:52 AM

I forgot to mention: I also now have the MusiCaravan Neçati sets back in stock.

New Risha Blanks

Brian Prunka - 7-11-2013 at 12:35 PM

Here are the new mock tortoise shell risha blanks I'm offering:

These are high-quality celluloid and sound great. Perfect thickness, in my opinion, they are in between the Pyramid "Pro" risha and the Pyramid "Pro Heavy" risha that I've been offering, with a really nice tortoise shell pattern. Easy to shape and inexpensive (5 bucks for two).

OudStrings.com - Mock Tortoise Shell Risha

hamed - 7-11-2013 at 02:09 PM

Hey Brian,
Are these the same TORTIS blanks that Jameel was offering few years ago?

Brian Prunka - 7-11-2013 at 02:34 PM

Hi Hamed,

No, these are different. Tor-tis is a material that was intended for pickguards and veneers; it is very expensive and turned out not to be flexible enough of a material to work well as an oud pick. Guitar and mandolin players have used it successfully for heavy thickness picks, but the length and thickness of an oud pick made it too prone to breakage.

These are celluloid, like the Pyramid picks, but higher quality—in my opinion, they are less "plastic" sounding. Of course this is subjective, but I got these as an experiment and am very happy with them.

Brian Prunka - 8-3-2013 at 05:12 AM

Just a heads up, I will be heading to Simon Shaheen's retreat in two weeks, so if you need anything, order by August 8 in order to have it ship before. Or if you are planning to be at the retreat, let me know what you need and you can save the shipping costs.

cheers,
Brian