Mike's Oud Forums

Mike's Backgammon Board

Jameel - 3-20-2011 at 02:43 PM

A couple years ago my good friend Mike (our gracious host) asked me to make him a backgammon board. I was only happy to oblige. It took me nearly a year just to get the project started. We agreed on a price, and I eventually got the ball rolling.

About that same time I was approached by the editor of Popular Woodworking Magazine about writing an article. I thought it would be a great opportunity to present a detailed narration of how I make the Nahat-style geometric inlay that I would feature on the game board. I've done a little of this in some old threads here, but the article goes into much greater detail. I invite you to pick up a copy of the magazine (available at most newsstands and bookstores like Barnes and Noble) to read the article. You can also download the entire magazine if you want a quick fix, here.

So I finished the board a few months ago and Mike has been using is since. Hope you're enjoying it my friend.

Here are some of the details. The main body of the board is made from high-quality baltic birch plywood. Its extremely stable material. The inside of the board is laid up from sawn veneers of book-matched bird's-eye maple and cocobolo rosewood. The exterior of the box is sequence-matched sliced veneer cocobolo rosewood. The exterior veneer is all bookmatched, including where the halves of the box come together (look on the latch side) and the grain is also matched at the corner--it follows itselfaround all four corners of the box. The hardware is stainless-steel from Brusso. Finish is French polish (keep those Jack and Coke's away, Mike!)

I have more about how I made some of the details over at my blog.

Sazi - 3-20-2011 at 03:28 PM

That is one beautiful piece of Art there Jameel, and wonderful timbers. Superb!:bowdown:

Is it going to be fixed bridge or floating? :D

Actually that's not such a strange question, they have cigar box guitars, we could have a backgammon box oud:cool:

SamirCanada - 3-20-2011 at 04:59 PM

Wow... that is so nice. So inviting to play on :)

We have our very own super star wood working writer. I am so amazed by your talent and dedication Jameelo. This is a sweet piece of art.

If there is any interest I could send you pictures of my grand father's "tawla" set that he handed down to me. Its a thing of beauty made in Syria in the early 1900's

Enjoy playing on it Mike. No shishas near this one :)

Yaron Naor - 3-21-2011 at 01:45 AM

WOW and WOW this so perfect and well done
Thanks for shearing!

Yaron.

Abusaid - 3-21-2011 at 04:01 AM

Amazing!! Like all your work, it is a piece of art.

Bravo!

Abusaid

Brian Prunka - 3-21-2011 at 05:48 AM

Astounding work as usual, Jameel. Now, when are we going to see an oud?!

You're just teasing us . . . :D

Mike - 3-21-2011 at 11:57 AM

This backgammon is incredible. It's worth much more than Jameelo got for it. It arrived shortly after my wedding, so needless to say it was a great wedding gift from Jameelo. As you guys have said it is truly a piece of art. It's no wonder that editors of big time woodworking publications are recognizing Jameel and his craftsmanship. The article is well written and has lots of great pictures. I recommend you guys check it out.

The smack talking started immediately after I got the board from Jameelo. Me and my buddies have had loads of fun already with it, and I plan on having this bad boy for many years to come. Thanks again Jameelo...

Happy sheesh beeshing!

abusin - 3-21-2011 at 02:57 PM

Happy sheesh beeshing Mike :bounce:

maestro Jameel God bless your hands my friend, great job well done :applause:

Ararat66 - 3-22-2011 at 01:04 AM

Beautiful work Jameel - have you another oud brewing?? or will you just add strings to the backgammon board and so invent a new multipurpose travel instrument for internantional udis who spend too much time in airport waiting rooms.

lovely stuff

Leon