Mike's Oud Forums

EMS ouds?

londonoudi - 4-16-2011 at 05:52 PM

Have seen an oud on ebay made by 'EMS'. They are based in England - just wondering if anyone knows anything about them?

Would the oud be of any decent quality sound wise or is it likely to be of the tourist type?

Sasha - 4-16-2011 at 06:10 PM

I wonder if it could be the Early Music Shop - which specializes in reproductions of historic instruments...

Sasha

londonoudi - 4-16-2011 at 11:24 PM

Yes it is the Early Music Shop. Any thoughts? At £375 I dont really want to take the risk unless anyone has any reviews.

Sazi - 4-17-2011 at 04:30 AM

That oud looks to be made with integral soundholes, cut into the face like on a lute...

In the used instrument section they have a new(!) "replica of an Um Kolthoum oud

from Her Museum Cairo"... £600

Danielo - 4-17-2011 at 11:43 PM

Hi,

you should be careful, I think this is a sample of the tourist-grades oud made in Pakistan and sold on ebay (make a search on this forum with
keyword "Pakistan", there are several threads referring to them).

At £375 you should be able to find a used Sukar.

regards,

Dan

londonoudi - 4-18-2011 at 04:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Danielo  
Hi,

you should be careful, I think this is a sample of the tourist-grades oud made in Pakistan and sold on ebay (make a search on this forum with
keyword "Pakistan", there are several threads referring to them).

At £375 you should be able to find a used Sukar.

regards,

Dan

I need to purchase a oud within the next 2 months (prefereably the next month). Where can I find a used sukar?

Am I right in thinking a sukar would be great for learning Egyptian style? as it really depends on the actual sound of the specific oud being played.

Any leads much appreciated.

Danielo - 4-18-2011 at 06:38 AM

Hi,

I don't know about the British sites for second hand stuff, but in France it's rather easy to find Sukars from 200 euros. Right now there's

http://www.leboncoin.fr/instruments_de_musique/192388214.htm?ca=12_...

http://instrument-musique.vivastreet.fr/vente-instruments-musique+t...

londonoudi - 4-18-2011 at 06:49 AM

wow!! thanks Danielo.

I don't know how to search the site - do you know if there are any Egyptian Ouds for sale? To be honest I don't know what the difference between a syrian oud and an egyptian one other than the way they look.

Do you think it is safe for them to post to london?

Danielo - 4-18-2011 at 06:57 AM

Hi,

there's this Egyptian oud that does not look too bad:

http://www.leboncoin.fr/instruments_de_musique/193923463.htm?ca=12_...

however it is safest to stay with a Sukar, of reliable quality.

As for the difference between Egyptian and Syrian ouds, I'm not an expert but I would say that Syrian ouds have often a "darker" sound. However the differences between luthiers can be significant too (and don't forget, Farid was from Syria !).

Shipping to London is a bet in my opinion. If the guy meticulous it will be ok but how do you know ? Few years ago I bought a Shehata on ebay Uk, I was very worried but eventually it reaches my doorstep in perfect condition.

The safest options are to find similar offers locally, or to make a trip to France !