Mike's Oud Forums

Amazing Joseph Tawadros Full Concert video Featuring John Abercrombie

jass - 6-13-2011 at 08:43 AM

Hey Guys,

Check this out! Full concert of The Joseph Tawadros Quartet can be watched here. Filmed in Nijmegen, Netherlands

Joseph Tawadros - Oud
John Abercrombie - Guitar
Drew Gress - Bass
James Tawadros - Riqq

This is really great music!!! Check outthe opening oud solo...Go JT!

Copy an dpaste this link, its the only way it works...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:XrPnEMND-w0J:w...

Jass :buttrock:

Aymara - 6-13-2011 at 11:08 AM

Thanks for the info, Jass, but the link doesn't work ... I just see black frames instead of videos ... using both Firefox and Internet Explorer.

jass - 6-14-2011 at 12:26 AM

Hello Chris,

It seems to work for me. It didnt work last night but when i reloaded it eventually worked. Anyone else having this problem?

Jass:D

Greg - 6-14-2011 at 04:13 AM

Try this: http://tinyurl.com/3rgoamo

and pan down to the "Joseph Tawadros Quartet"

Greg

Aymara - 6-14-2011 at 10:12 AM

Thanks Greg,

I tried your Link at work and I saw the video preview images ... I didn't have the change to view them though.

Now at home the same problem ... the video frames stay black.

And what's totally weird ... in both cases Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 8, but at home IE reports errors on the page ... very strange.

Microber - 6-14-2011 at 11:12 AM

Finally I can see the video.
But the sound is very weak.

Anybody have an idea of the date of the concert.
The Netherland is not far from my home.
I never had the information of that event. :(
If I had known, I certainly would have gone. :mad:

jass - 6-14-2011 at 11:28 AM

Hey Guys,

I think wait on it abit, it stays black for a while and then you can click on it. It seems to work fine for me but sometimes its a bit slow...

Enjoy!

Jass:bounce:

Aymara - 6-14-2011 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Microber  
I never had the information of that event. :(
If I had known, I certainly would have gone. :mad:

Me too.

Quote: Originally posted by jass  
It seems to work fine for me but sometimes its a bit slow...

I also thought it might be a bandwidth problem ... I only have DSL2000. But why then gives me IE an error message and the same configuration works at work? Firefox loads for ever.

Strange.

MatthewW - 6-14-2011 at 01:48 PM

hi guys and gals- the above links didn't work well for me either, however there is some stuff on youtube -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXHGueYthtE
regards, MW

jass - 6-14-2011 at 04:22 PM

Hey Guys,

I found this, not from the same show but the same band. The full concert is so professionally filmed like those pro jazz videos you see of legends, really worth checking out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLeYlc76wbE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGdyWVK2aJY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwxw6CG2DD0&feature=related

Enjoy!

Jass:))

jack - 6-14-2011 at 04:36 PM

Worked fine for me with Firefox, as per Greg's instruction.

jass - 6-15-2011 at 02:13 PM

Hey Guys,

I found the whole concert in Audio...Its pretty good quality...

http://artiesten.radio6.nl/page/artiest/13591

Enjoy!

jass - 6-15-2011 at 02:18 PM

Ps. Theres also an interview and some tracks to download on the same page...:xtreme:

myeyes2020 - 6-15-2011 at 09:02 PM

Amazing concert and what a priviledge it was to hear it! What a world we live in, where we can have instant access to an awesome concert by a generous colleage! Thanks Joe!

Aymara - 6-16-2011 at 10:14 AM

Enjoy!

Thanks ... great find.

bibo10 - 6-18-2011 at 02:13 PM

o boyyyy......miss watching you on stage Joe, u better be coming to NYC soon!
Jass, i can't thank you enough for posting this, really enjoyed it...i am gonne putting this on repeat many times!

New Joseph Tawadros Website

bibo10 - 6-20-2011 at 01:15 PM

Hi All,

Just wanted to tell eveyone that the concert can be found on an all new JT website, http://www.josephtawadros.com

Enjoy

Aymara - 6-20-2011 at 11:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bibo10  
... the concert can be found on an all new JT website ...

That's good news and the quality is nice.

BTW ... did you notice the JT signature oud by Veysel Sarikus for 1500$? We all know Master Veysel from the forums ;)

Am I wrong or is this the first signature oud ever? Guitarists might know that Gibson releases signature guitars for years ... I remember a Jimmy Page signature Les Paul.

Might signature ouds become a new trend? Maybe we soon will see a Naseer Shamma signature oud by another luthier? I'm curious, if famous luthiers like Faruk Turunz or Nazih Ghadban will follow this trend.

Marcus - 6-21-2011 at 12:05 AM

Hi Chris:wavey:

Mr Turunz allready did it!
JT signature Oud

Cheers,
Marcus

jass - 6-21-2011 at 12:20 AM

Yep, I noticed...Heres more information on it, good photos too - http://www.josephtawadros.com/oud.html

Its a beautiful sounding oud...Im going to order one soon...

Jass:airguitar:

Aymara - 6-21-2011 at 12:36 AM

Hi again!

Quote: Originally posted by Marcus  

Mr Turunz allready did it!

Aah ... I remember this video, but because I didn't find any info about it on Master Turunz website, I thought, it is an oud especially developed for JT and not for fans. Maybe I'm wrong?

Its a beautiful sounding oud...

Yes, and there are several customization options available.

But what astonished me was, that it is a 7 course oud with the low F being a single course as the low C too. I think this is unusual ... I remember 7 course ouds being usually like a 6 course arabic oud in standard tuning (CFFAAddggcc) with an additional high ff course.

Does JT always play a single course low F (or rather D as he seems to tune it)? It's hard to find out on the low resolution videos I saw.

jass - 6-21-2011 at 12:52 AM

Hi Chris,

I guess thats part of the JT signature model, its quite a unique idea to have 2 single bass strings but it seems to work very well. This would probably mean the neck is smaller for a 7 string and maybe easier to play perhaps?

In the concert I noticed he also tuned the C bass down to an A in one of the pieces and it sounded very full, not floppy as you would expect. Very creative and worked beautifully...

See the opening, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwxw6CG2DD0 I think the bass strings are tuned A and E here, can somebody confirm this? Is this a common tuning? Ive never come across it...

Jass:buttrock:

Aymara - 6-21-2011 at 01:16 AM

Hi Jass!

Is this a common tuning? Ive never come across it...

Regarding the Oud Cafe it's unusual.

But it can make sense in an ensemble, where guitar and double bass are envolved. Here the C and F bass courses would be tricky for the bass and guitar players. That's why I bought a 5 string fretless bass, which I can tune CFADG instead of the usual BEADG to fit the standard oud tuning. I wanted to avoid playing a whole octave higher on the bass, if an oud piece is written in C, so I had to get me a 5 string bass guitar. But a double bass has only 4 ;)

jass - 6-22-2011 at 04:38 PM

Hey Chris,

You have a point there, but in the rest of the video, the oud bass strings were tuned to C and F...

Whatever the reason, I think it works very well, I thought a perfect balance of jazz and oud...great players and concert. That brother of his is quite a percussionist...

Jass:applause:

Aymara - 6-23-2011 at 01:28 AM

Hi Jass!

... a perfect balance of jazz and oud...

Yes, for shure. I could slap myself in the face, because I didn't knew, that they also played in Germany ... not too far away from where I live ... grrr.

Quote:

That brother of his is quite a percussionist...

Yes, I remember a studio video, where he showed Jack the drummer how to play Riq ... Jack was really astonished, that it's more difficult than it looks, even for a good drummer. Being a former drummer myself and now playing framedrum, I can confirm, that framedrum is a different league than a drumset, because now the rhythm comes from the fingers ... let's say it's more filigree.

bibo10 - 6-23-2011 at 04:39 AM

James is an amazing percussionist, IMO the best I had ever seen

Aymara - 6-23-2011 at 05:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bibo10  
James is an amazing percussionist

For shure he is very talented.

Quote:

IMO the best I had ever seen

Sorry, but I don't like these "the best" statements.

You just have to search Youtube for "framedrum", "tar", "daf", etc. and you'll find many talents, who are as good as James. But we shouldn't forget, that there are many different framedrums and styles.

So let's say: James is one of the best ;)

BTW ... here are two of my favourite framedrum solo videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF7ybVKX2p4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg1vlwFnzB8

As you can see they have a very different style from James, but they both can easily compete with him. But James has a huge advantage ... he is very young ;) He will for shure surprise us in the future several further times.

jass - 6-23-2011 at 07:57 AM

Yeah Chris, you'll have to keep an eye out for his next European trip.
These frame drummers are pretty awesome! Thanks for posting them. I do think James is very unique on the req, I havent heard req quite like it. His solo at the end of the concert is a wonder, never seen such variety on the req. As for his framedrumming I didnt think it was as strong as his req but he did that job very well.

He is definitely one of the best Arabic percussionists going round, but his req is really quite advanced to others Ive seen in the middle east. Good blend in this ensemble. We dont have to put the 'best' title on anything, thats when these thread change into monsters :))

Did you like the sound of the Sarikus oud?

Hope you can get to see Tawadros perform soon and tell us all about it!

Aymara - 6-23-2011 at 10:03 AM

Thanks for posting them.

No problem ... one last VIDEO ... this time framedrum & oud :airguitar:

Quote:

I do think James is very unique on the req, ...

Yes, that's right.

But let's compare to David's style (it starts at 1:20) ... what do you think?

Quote:

Did you like the sound of the Sarikus oud?

Is it the one, JT plays at the beginning of the concert video?

Quote:
Hope you can get to see Tawadros perform soon and tell us all about it!

Well the Germany concert was less than 2 weeks ago ... I think it will take some time until JT's next concert in Germany.

Ararat66 - 6-23-2011 at 12:24 PM

Well the thing I really like about James' playing is his responsiveness and touch.

He's obviously a terrific player and there are others around so it's pretty irrelevant wether he's the best this or that and you can easily end up comparing apples with oranges - I'm just glad they are around to listen to.

With James and Joe - they read each other so closely but very intuitively.

Leon

Aymara - 6-23-2011 at 12:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ararat66  
I'm just glad they are around to listen to.

Good conclusion, Leon.

jass - 6-23-2011 at 02:02 PM

Totally agree, its apples and oranges...In honesty, I didnt enjoy Davids playing so much, it lacked something arabic about it, it felt a little un-natural to James feel on the instrument. James's cymbal work had a lot of variety and seemed to be more developed compositionally, but this is my view...Again, apples and oranges, but thanks again for posting Chris!

As for the oud, I was talking about his oud sound in general...I think it is great to see someone playing an Arabic style oud and sound in this framework...Iraqi moveable bridges seem to be the trend...The Sarikus oud is very full I think...

:applause: Jass

Aymara - 6-24-2011 at 12:08 AM

Hi again!

I didnt enjoy Davids playing so much, it lacked something arabic about it, it felt a little un-natural to James feel on the instrument.

Aaah, that is exactly, what I wanted to hear ;)

That's why I posted this videos without any comments. I wanted to hear other's oppinions about David's style.
David has a very good reputation in the world wide percussion scene and is considered to be one of the best players of the world, but for my taste he concentrates too much on showing his techniques instead of playing with his heart. In other words: Sometimes less is more ;)

Quote:
I think it is great to see someone playing an Arabic style oud and sound in this framework...

Yes, shure and I'm astonished how good guitar and bass fit in these compositions.

Quote:
Iraqi moveable bridges seem to be the trend

Really? So far I got the impression, that many others besides myself feel much more comfortable with a fixed bridge and many oud fans don't like the more flamenco guitar like sound of the floating bridge. Or am I wrong?

jass - 6-24-2011 at 08:28 AM

David is still a great player, but as I said James had a great feel and variations were more developed.

As for moveable bridge, I was talking more in the professional arena, I see pro players usually with a moveable bridge, maybe Im generalising ;) Not a real big deal.

I am a big Tawadros fan (and Abercrombie), I have all Tawadros cds and he always manages to find a real balance between the instruments, genre and oud. Have you heard the Hour of Separation Chris?

I found this online:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aND8DYDfXQU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWoEbYiVH2o

I however encourage buying the album :)

Aymara - 6-24-2011 at 09:38 AM

I see pro players usually with a moveable bridge, maybe Im generalising ;)

From the few I know, Naseer Shamma is the only one playing a floating bridge. The Trio Jobran, JT, Anouar Brahem, Amos Hoffman, Rahim Al-Haj ... they all play fixed bridges.

It seems I know too few ;)

Quote:
I however encourage buying the album :)

It's part of my CD collection since the day it was released ;)

For me it was a must-buy after I saw the videos from the studio, which were posted here in the forums.

jass - 6-24-2011 at 01:33 PM

Forget about my comment on trend :)

What do you think of the Hour of Separation? I really love it...I think its one of the best cross over oud/jazz albums around...

Aymara - 6-24-2011 at 01:49 PM

I really love it...I think its one of the best cross over oud/jazz albums around...

Yes, absolutely. This album and Anouar Brahem's The Astounding Eyes of Rita are my favourites ... HERE you see them on stage.

bibo10 - 6-24-2011 at 08:13 PM

It's brilliant how Joe and James manage to bridge arabic and western music and make it sound flawless. I actually have copies of Ephiphany and The Prophet albums for sale. Contact me at mb232@njit.edu

jass - 6-24-2011 at 11:53 PM

Lovely! I have this Brahem album too, great spirit. Its great to see that the oud players are so different, but are so acceptable to my ears in terms of cross over. What about a Brahem/Tawadros album :)

I also just checked JT's website, there are some more concerts in Europe in November:applause:!

Jass

Aymara - 6-25-2011 at 12:00 AM

What about a Brahem/Tawadros album :)

That would be an interesting colloboration.

Quote:

..., there are some more concerts in Europe in November:applause:!

Aaah, there's even one concert in Germany on 1st October :D

jass - 6-28-2011 at 08:56 AM

Cool!:bounce:

Will you be going?

Aymara - 6-28-2011 at 10:01 AM

Will you be going?

If I find the time, yes. Hard to tell right now ... it's a longer trip. But I'd like to.

Marcus - 6-29-2011 at 12:05 AM

Hi Chris,:wavey:
a JT concert on the 1. october? Do you mean the one in Bellingen?
I think it is Bellingen in NewSouthWales / Australia,isn`it?

If ve other informations than on the JT-homepage, please let me/us know.

Cheers
Marcus

Aymara - 6-29-2011 at 12:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marcus  
Do you mean the one in Bellingen?
I think it is Bellingen in NewSouthWales / Australia,isn`it?

Who would have thought, that there is a German sounding town in Australia? :D

Yes, you're right, that Bellingen Music Festival is in Australia, though we have a town with the same name in Germany :)

But what's strange is, that this festival took place in May and when you click on buy tickets, you read:

Ticket sales information for the 2012 festival will be posted as it comes to hand. Please visit us again.

No information about a JT gig on that website. Mmh ... ???

Marcus - 6-29-2011 at 03:36 AM

Quote:

Who would have thought, that there is a German sounding town in Australia? :D

Lookis like german migrants always name their towns/villages like their hometown.
I once ordered some sitarpegs in Mumbai/India and the seller somehow lost the citycode...I wait for about 2/3 months and received a parcel from Stuttgart/Texas.

About the festival,maybe they`re doing it twice a year? I googled it and find a site that says "The...Festival 2011 is cancelled".
Indeed, very strange, but anyway,even if I like JT alot, this would be a bit tooooooooo far:D

bibo10 - 6-29-2011 at 07:01 AM

Aymara,
You are doing James a huge disadvantage by comparing him to those guys. No offense to them but James is a totally different level. He rocks the percussion like no other

jass - 6-29-2011 at 02:17 PM

Found another clip of JT quartet! :applause:

This also has another great extended solo by James. I havent heard this piece for JT before...I like! Anyone know the name of this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWD_nFSnUfE