Mike's Oud Forums

Setar string action

Renato - 7-21-2011 at 10:00 AM

Just got a setar from Iran!!! Love it! I`m playing my fave oud tunes on it now.
Question: Is it common to have such high action? As I`m a saz player, and have a Cankaya oud, all with low action, this is a bit difficult.
What can all of you udi with setars tell me about it?
I attempt Persian tanbur and selpe styles with it, but the action is prohibitive. I`m thinking of sanding off about half of the bridge height.
Thanks,
ren

freya - 7-23-2011 at 09:39 AM

Renato,

I don't know anything about setars but I have one and the bridge is 0.25 inches high if that helps. I was given it by a Persian friend who was a player and he never mentioned any problems with that height bridge.
Regards,
Harry

Dr. Oud - 7-24-2011 at 08:33 AM

The action should be 4-5mm above the last fret. Likely the neck was made with green wood and has bent. The neck can be re-bent flat with heat and a clamp fixture, but you'll have to replace the frets.

fayyazi - 8-11-2011 at 02:39 PM

i've had many setars in the past and in neither of them the action has been higher than 3-3.5 mm in most cases you find that it's the bridge

Renato - 8-22-2011 at 06:51 PM

Thanks folks. I was thinking of sanding down the bridge, as the surgical stuff just is out of my capabilities and i¨m not sure that it is really bent. If I still lived in Seattle, I´d cruise down to see Dr. Oud, but being in Chile, well....
I´ll let you all know how it turns out.
Abrazos from the land of student protests and earthquakes!
ren