Mike's Oud Forums

Indian Rosewood oud (completed!)

SamirCanada - 7-24-2011 at 05:09 PM

Hi everyone,
as is customary, I am starting a new oud project, in a new house, in a new workshop... I hope this is the last time I move for the next 5 years at least :) what a pain in the... it is to set everything up again.

anyways, here are some pics of my new shop and project I am working on.

IMG_1951.jpg - 45kB IMG_1941.jpg - 37kB IMG_1943.jpg - 44kB IMG_1947.jpg - 44kB

sabbassi - 7-25-2011 at 12:00 AM

He Samir,

Wow, nice big workshop. I envy you :)

I like to have one of these big bandsaws (no space).

Hope many wonders will come out from your new place.

Enjoy it:bounce:

bulerias1981 - 7-27-2011 at 07:28 AM

Hey Samir. Enjoy your new home and workspace, I see you have a nice new bandsaw with a rip fence. This should make resawing the ribs easier. Good luck on your new project.

SamirCanada - 7-27-2011 at 11:14 AM

Thanks guys,
I made the resaw fence myself... with some scrap melamine boards leftover from my new kitchen cabinets :) it ended up working pretty well.

I used a silicone steel blade by R&D Bandsaw http://www.tufftooth.com/ It did cut very smooth and straight and I ended up with 19, 3mm ribs. After planing, my ribs are 2.5-2.3 mm. Although the blade was brand new, after cutting the wood for this oud its been dulled out considerably. Still dough, the cuts ended up being straight and smooth throughout... it just got louder and harder to push when I got towards the last couple of ribs.

The bandsaw is a horrible dust monster and the dust collection port is very poorly designed. In the end, I had to wear a mask to avoid breathing in the rosewood dust and it took me an hour to vacum the workshop of all the purple dust everywhere.

I also added a antivibration link belt and it made the whole difference in the world. It was as if that bandsaw had legs before and it would want to take walks around the workshop :) with the link belt its much better behaved.

I would like to include maple purfling strips in between the ribs of the oud. Anyone want to describe the proceedure to me? pictures would be nice too :)

Yaron Naor - 7-27-2011 at 11:59 AM

Hi Samir,
Very nice shop! enjoy it... looking foreword for the next projects to come
Please update us with nice photos...

Regards
Yaron Naor

sabbassi - 7-27-2011 at 12:19 PM

Hi Samir,

I have never used a bandsaw for cutting the ribs. I use a table saw the ribs (bosch). I have mounted a saw brand called CTM orange tools thin kurf kirbide 1.7mm thick. and I have it now for 8 months, I have use it for almost anything neck, ribs, fingerboards (ebony, macassar and other hardwood). the ribs comeout very smooth and do not even need planning most of time.

For the purfling strips I use a small table saw from proxxon with a 1mm small thin blade, but have enouph power to cut even trough hard wood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDanOgTt41g

I have used a small bandsaw for the ribs but he cut is bubbly and because the saw will zigzag a bit anyway (two hands are just no enouph).
but you maybe find a better way to do it with the bandsaw

The advantage of this little table saw is that the hight of he blade can be adjusted to the hight of the strips resulting a clean cut. I usualy cut 1mm or 1,1 max so the look of the strips on the oud are not to harsh (big).

and here is a picture how I do it. first bend the ribs, plane one side straight with you new lV tool :) and cut out the strips using the table saw:

hope you find it useful

IMAG0079.jpg - 97kB IMAG0080.jpg - 115kB

jdowning - 7-27-2011 at 03:01 PM

Hi Samir

A bandsaw (or any wood working equipment) without a dust extraction system is a potential health problem - particularly if your workshop is not separated from your house and if you are cutting any wood but particularly exotic hardwoods like rosewood that can cause respiratory problems or skin irritation. The dust can also cause problems with your motor drive causing overheating and preventing starting. Been there - done that!

A dust extraction system can be home built and so quite inexpensive - made from plastic pipe from local hardware stores powered by a 'ShopVac' type vacuum cleaner. Ideally it should be vented to outside the building and - very important - 'grounded' with a bare copper wire run through the length of the vent piping (connected to the ground terminal of your electrical supply). This is to prevent a static electrical charge building up due to the dust being drawn through the piping. This is a potential fire risk.
If you would like to see my 'home built' band saw extraction system drop by anytime you happen to next be en route between Ottawa and Montreal.

You should be able to get a better performance from your band saw blade than just one set of rosewood ribs - and without 'forcing' the cut. What number of 'teeth per inch' are you using? For re-sawing veneer I use a 3/8 inch X 3 tpi 'Viking' blade from Lee Valley Tools - good quality, well hardened and set - and so long lasting.

For cutting inter-rib 'lines' I use the band saw to cut the strips that are then precisely thicknessed with a simple jig and hand plane. The strips are then hot bent to the curvature of the ribs. See "Old Project - New Lute" page 4 -5 (p 12 Oud Projects Forum).

bulerias1981 - 7-28-2011 at 08:31 AM

Wow Sabbassi, I'm loving that PROXXON Table saw!!! I'm going to have to invest in one. What would you say that cons are on that machine? Any problems you noticed? And how much do they sell for?

For purfling strips between the ribs, I ordered from stew mac. I shape the rib at the center, glue it to the mold. I then shape the next ribs, make sure they fit to the set ribs, do my fine tuning as needed. I rub a little glue on the edge of the rib with a small stick or brush at small increments at a time, then wrap a nylon string around the purfling strip and rib to clamp it to the edge. I keep doing this until its dry. Then after it dries, I unwrap the twine, and remove extra glue with a plane, file, or chisel.

I'm not home right now, but when I get home I can post pictures of the process.

sabbassi - 7-28-2011 at 10:08 AM

Hi Bulerias,

The machine is very wel built and does not make noise at all. one important thing: it looks smal but it is still a dangerous babe. I have had a 2,5 cm deep cut in my left middle finger the second day I had it. almost lost a finger :( .

the price is about 320 euro. the little sister is smaller one, less dangerous and excellent for veneer and light wood work(Ks 23)
You can make you own exotic strips yourself, with any kind of wood. buying ready strips is nice but making your own is even better.

I think I have posted some pictures how to place the strips between the ribs the easy way. it is almost as you said, I use Titebond (he green bottle, take longer time to set up (about 10min) than the normal yellow titebond bottle, plentyof time to rub both sides of the ribs with glue and place the strip between them and go up slowly and at the same time joining the ribs with tape.

Te tape has an amazing power bypulling the ribs to each other, you even see the glue being squeezed out of the ribs.

would love to see your pictures.

SamirCanada - 7-28-2011 at 11:13 AM

ouch.... I can just imagine the kind of cut you could get with that type of table saw. Be carefull man!

The technique you describe here is the kind of technique I use to make the straight edge binding but I never thought about doing the strips like that. only problem is with a bandsaw you are right that the strings would not be straight enought and would require a lot of planing or even sanding on a flat board which would be easier given the size of the strips.

I am thinking of using maple veneer and cut the strips from a large veneer peice in the outline of the rib with an exacto knive. no bending required that way :)

rib storing thing

SamirCanada - 7-29-2011 at 05:01 AM

Thought I would share with you this little thingamajig I made to hold the bent ribs. I saw it somewhere I think on a lute making blog.

anyways it works great and it is very conveniant.

rib holder.JPG - 53kB

bulerias1981 - 8-1-2011 at 11:33 AM

Is this the machine you have, Sabbasi?

http://www.satberlin.de/de/Proxxon-Maschinen/Tischgeraete-/Proxxon-...

jdowning - 8-1-2011 at 02:48 PM

On a "lute making blog"? Look no further than "Old Oud - New Project", page 5 on this forum!

Rib Bending comp (600 x 445).jpg - 66kB

SamirCanada - 8-1-2011 at 06:50 PM

Ha!
There it is. Thanks John.

SamirCanada - 10-7-2011 at 08:32 PM

Some updates.
since I am back from vacation and I finally have some time to work in the shop.

Here is my progress so far.

Thanks to all my friends from the mikeouds.com family for you continued support and encouragement. A special thanks to all the other contributing professional and aspiring luthiers who also share their work here. You are all an inspiration to me. Wow... I feel so warm and fuzzy on the inside :P

http://samirnassifoudluthiery.blogspot.com/2011/10/building-bowl.ht...

sabbassi - 10-8-2011 at 11:01 AM

Hi Samir,

Nice and clean work. also very organized shop. when do you think you will finish the bowl?

SamirCanada - 10-8-2011 at 06:09 PM

At this rate... Proably going to take me a couple of weeks. :)

Thanks ya Samir.

Ari - 11-25-2011 at 04:14 AM

Really done nice job there man!!
Thanks for sharing this.

woah... that was too long a break.

SamirCanada - 12-14-2012 at 07:52 AM

Finally completed the bowl this week. I took about a year off from working on this project. I had to put in hardwood floors in my house and other lovely projects that comes with a new house.

Here are the pictures. still need to scrape it clean.

FastForward - 12-14-2012 at 12:56 PM

Samir,

Its good to see you back to oud making. The Bowl looks beautiful already. Hope to see more.

Ibrahim.

update

SamirCanada - 12-21-2012 at 03:25 PM

Hi everyone,
the back is now scraped clean. I really love the figure on this rosewood. its gonna be gorgeous. I tried to do some patterns by alternating the grain on the ribs. I love the looks but I lost track of the rib order when I took such a long break in building it.
Next oud I will pay more attention to that.

I also found a new trick to hold the very thin piece that goes at the back of the pegbox while planning. TAPE :)
works like a charm and is more predictable than using a shooting board block.

I posted a video in an another post on bandsaw sharpening. This is the revelation of the year for me. My saw cuts better than brand new and I was just about to toss out the blade!

I had the blade off because the tension adjustment portion of my saw had jammed completely. the nut at the bottom of the spring had stripped the adjustment screw so I had to order a new one. I ordered one with a handle crank. what a difference!! so easy to add and remove tension.

Made some more progress following that, I shaped the neck block to rough dimensions and glued the pegbox assembly. I really need to make a precise jig to do that. Its always guessing work for me.

dkhoury35 - 12-21-2012 at 06:50 PM

looks fantastic great work

SamirCanada - 1-10-2013 at 06:11 AM

Hello my peeps,

I know many of you enjoy following the construction of instruments so I am posting some updates of my oud. I did some considerable progress over the last few days.

I have sold all my previous instrument so I am hoping to make this one for my self. Actually I am making it for my new born daughter who will hopefully learn to play if I have anything to say about it :P

I finished the braces and mounted the top yesterday. I am rather pleased with the result. Just by singing in it, it responds to various notes and ranges which is a great sign in my experience.

I went to 1.5 mm for the top. I think that will contribute to the sound in a good way and I made the bracing in a comparable fashion to the nahat bracing discovered with the first brace after the bridge on an angle.

I decided I will be using a full length fingerboard on this oud again so I wont need the inlay up top.

I will be using a stunning peice of cocobolo for the fingerboard and also the pickguard.

Samir.

bulerias1981 - 1-10-2013 at 07:02 AM

Great work as always. I'm glad to see you're back at the bench again. A big congrats on your new born daughter. May she have many good healthy years.

Oud is looking good. 1.5mm is a bit thin I think on the soundboard, but you can compensate with the bracings. I'm curious to see how this turns out. Good luck ya Samir!

paulO - 1-10-2013 at 03:54 PM

It looks really great ! The grain's amazing, (you've heard this one before) - I look forward to a sound sample :airguitar: - and thanks so much for sharing the details of the project..and of course, good health for your newborn daughter.

Regards..Paul

SamirCanada - 1-10-2013 at 05:23 PM

Thanks guys :)

Paul, speaking of grain, what do you think of that quilted maple in the back ?

I will work on it some more this weekend and will see how much I get done...

Mehran - 1-18-2013 at 07:28 AM

Nice work Samir! However I thought this one was gonna be an Iraqi 'Fadelesque' oud.

SamirCanada - 1-18-2013 at 07:38 AM

Thanks Mehran,

I thought so too :P

Then again, I started this oud in July 2011 lol... I guess I changed my mind on that many times as it progressed. I was thinking floating bridge even at one point.

The main reason though is I dont have the right tools to make the kuwait model fadhel style inlays I had in mind. Perhaps the next one.

here is the cocobolo fingerboard, (still a bit oversize on the sides of the neck)

bulerias1981 - 1-18-2013 at 04:37 PM

nice wood. where is the like button on this forum!?

BaniYazid - 1-19-2013 at 01:08 AM

:applause:

Bridge blank

SamirCanada - 1-25-2013 at 07:34 AM

I have completed the bridge yesterday.

Its made of cocobolo that I have had now for 10 years and the previous owner had for 20 years. Needless to say it has been thouroughly dried. And I have noticed a big difference in the oil content compared to the fingerboard peice which is probably only a few years old.

I used an old syrian style bridge design as is used by Sukar etc...

Thanks.
Samir

Pickguard inlay

SamirCanada - 1-29-2013 at 12:12 PM

I made some more progress on the weekend.
Here is a quick shot with everything laid on top of the face. Not glued on yet.

Thanks,

Samir.

[file]25633[/file]

Almost there!

SamirCanada - 2-24-2013 at 06:22 PM

All that is left now is to cut the rosette and to put some final touches on the finish.

I couldnt resist to string it and I am glad I did because in my opinion it is the best sounding oud I have now and I am happy that I will hand it over to my daughter some day.

I will post a video soon enough.

Thank you,

bulerias1981 - 2-24-2013 at 08:16 PM

I really like it Samir.. great work. cant wait to hear it.

Brian Prunka - 2-25-2013 at 09:15 AM

Great work! And nice pegs, too ;)

SamirCanada - 2-26-2013 at 05:35 AM

Thank you fellas,
I thought you would like the pegs Brian :)

hamed - 2-26-2013 at 12:16 PM

Great job, this oud looks very nice and I can't wait to hear it.

bulerias1981 - 3-4-2013 at 09:26 AM

Samir.. why don't you post that great youtube video of you playing this new beautiful oud! What a sound!

SamirCanada - 3-4-2013 at 10:29 AM

I guess I could do that...
Thanks John!

Here is a quick video I made to show the sound of the oud. I am working on posting some other clips but I am working from a Mac so its complicated for no reason :)

here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgQqo7FfvQo&

Thank you everyone for the suport and encouragement along the way.
Samir.

hamed - 3-5-2013 at 06:56 PM

Wow that sounds incredible. It has a very nice arabic sound, I can't believe it's only your second oud; Also your playing is impressive.
David

SamirCanada - 3-6-2013 at 06:19 AM

Thanks Hamed,

Actually, this is oud #4. I have also replaced the tops on some other ouds so the top on this one I think is my 6th or 7th top.

But I will take the compliment either way :)

It took me some time to understand a bit more how to adjust the bracing and I hope I found the right recipe now just need to tweak a few things...

hamed - 3-6-2013 at 12:02 PM

Ahh I see,
Either way i think it might be safe to quit your day job!

SamirCanada - 3-6-2013 at 01:41 PM

HA! thats an idea. I wish buddy I wish... not sure my wife would like that too much :)

jdowning - 3-6-2013 at 03:47 PM

Nicely done Samir.

Keep your day job AND enjoy making many more ouds - that is the ideal situation economically. Also remember happy wife = happy life!

Congratulations on your new addition to the family - may your daughter bring you both joy and happiness and turn out to be a great oudist (or luthier) under your tuition. Regards to Diana. Drop by some time.

John

Ararat66 - 3-7-2013 at 01:04 AM

I have to say that sounds seriously good - nice plying which helps. Be proud of yourself !!

Leon

SamirCanada - 3-7-2013 at 05:47 AM

Thanks John, Leon. :)
Lady luck was on my side for this one.

Yes the visit is overdue absolutely. I will try to stop by sometime this spring/summer. Maybe that old oud of yours will be singing again when I come :) We can coordinate on email.

jdowning - 3-7-2013 at 07:30 AM

Summertime will be good as there is currently about a metre of snow cover on the ground here.

The old oud is close to being completed with repairs only to the sound board edging and brace refitting to finish before final assembly. Will see if I can complete the work so that you can give it a test run later this year (I also have a lot of wife directed projects around the house to complete which always gets in the way of progress of the really interesting work!!).

You might also like to try out the fretted 'Urmawi' oud when you visit - silk strings and all!

bulerias1981 - 3-15-2013 at 10:03 AM

that's the problem with wives.. its why I got rid of mine

Brian Prunka - 3-15-2013 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  

Good thing you did it in the spring, after the ground had thawed.

David Parfitt - 3-15-2013 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  

Good thing you did it in the spring, after the ground had thawed.

:D