Mike's Oud Forums

Need help. Someone gave me an oud. Not sure what kind

Penguin - 8-7-2011 at 06:29 PM

Hi, a friend of mine saw an oud at a flea market and bought it for me because she thought I'd like it. I am intrigued but don't really know anything about it. I've figured out that it's an oud from googling but can't figure out from the descriptions what kind. I'd like to tune it and maybe get some beginner book or watch some videos. I'm a classically trained cellist, so tuning shouldn't really be too much of a problem for me. Of course I still know nothing about technique or the proper way to play. Not sure if I want to invest in lessons until I tinker a bit with it though. Can someone at least give me some pointers on how to ID what kind of oud and best way to tune? Or anyone in the SF Bay Area interested in doing a basic lesson trade (cello lessons for oud lessons)?

Greg - 8-7-2011 at 06:32 PM

Welcome to the forums.

The first thing you need to do is upload some photos (each less than 1 MB).
Try to include one of the inside label, if possible.

Regards,

Greg

Penguin - 8-8-2011 at 08:38 AM

Ok. I'll post some tonight. Thanks

Penguin - 8-8-2011 at 08:35 PM

Ok. Here are some pics of the front and back. There was no label inside. Any help would be great. Thanks.

http://db.tt/DTNfMEF

http://db.tt/PdcAZ9e

fadel - 8-8-2011 at 08:41 PM

hi

I think this is turksh oud

hamed - 8-8-2011 at 09:20 PM

This is a turkish oud made by the late Haluk Eraydin of ankara i think. Many members of this forum have this student model
I hope this helps

billkilpatrick - 8-9-2011 at 12:02 AM

i agree with hamed - here's where you can find out how to tune it:

http://www.arabinstruments.com/112730/Online-Oud-Tuner

click on the oud and (eventually - my computer is ancient) you will be offered the choice of either turkish or arabic tuning, each with additional variations.

a friend of mine gave me my oud as well - we're both very fortunate - hope you enjoy it.

oud and saw ... hmmm ...

- bill

Greg - 8-9-2011 at 03:03 AM

Yes, I agree this is one of Haluk Eraydin's ouds.
It should be quite a nice instrument, even though this model was not one of his more expensive models.

Whilst it was designed for Turkish tuning, it will take Arabic tuning just as well. You should replace the strings with your choice of Arabic or Turkish and tune accordingly.
For Arabic tuning, I would recommend Aqulia Nylgut strings - standard Arabic tension. For Turkish tuning, I would recommend the MusiCaravan Turkish Oud Strings EABead' Set.

Either set is available from Brian Prunka at OudStrings.com
As well as a supplier of strings, Brian is also a wonderful musician. As you are unfamilair with the instrument, I am sure he will guide you in the right direction.

How much did your friend pay for it at the Flea Market?

Regards,

Greg

Penguin - 8-9-2011 at 09:19 AM

Wow! Thanks for the replies! This is such a great forum! I don't know how much my friend paid, didn't want to be rude, but I hope she got a good deal. It's a lovely gift and I'm really enjoying learning about this instrument.

Thanks for the tips on strings and tuning. Will definitely look into it. got a book and YouTube videos lined up too.

Bill, don't worry, the saw is strictly musical. Its quite friendly with my other instruments :)