Mike's Oud Forums

Mic: Rode M3

arsene - 9-18-2011 at 05:56 PM

Hey guys,

I did a small gig yesterday and was using the new Rode m3 mic (small diaphragm condenser, cardiod) to amplify my oud. Before I've always used sm58's and at one point a shadow pickup.

I must say I am very pleasantly surprised with this versatile little mic! Gave me a natural and dynamic oud sound and no feedback problems (granted, it was a relatively small room). Unfortunately nothing was recorded yesterday so I can't give you a live setting sample, but I'll see if I can record something in the studio with it.

It also handled the bouzouki wonderfully, giving it a full bodied sound with real sparkle in the highs, really cutting through the mix (piano, bass, percussion and trumpet), while retaining the dynamics.

Most surprising... For bouth oud and bouzouki i found I did not have to use any eq in the mixer (I did have the low-cut switched on on the mic itself). And that's usually a good thing... Anyway, I'm happy with it, though I'll put it through some more tests in different circumstances and see how it fares.

So far, recommended. And at €79 it's not too big of an attack on your funds :)

arsene - 9-19-2011 at 05:25 AM

http://www.rodemic.com/mics/m3

David.B - 9-19-2011 at 10:37 AM

Thanks for sharing :)

fayyazi - 9-21-2011 at 10:58 AM

i second that...mine happened by sheer chance as the sound man ran out of SM57s! was really happy with the sound coming through monitors and the venue. definitely recommend

arsene - 9-21-2011 at 12:38 PM

Glad to hear there are more happy users... Mine was also a last-minute solution since 2 days before the gig literally everything else decided to give up on me :)) Didn't care much for piezo's anyway... I was just a little afraid of feedback, but I had no trouble, and the sound was indeed very surprising considering the price you pay for one of them.