Mike's Oud Forums

Nahawand Murassah

charlie oud - 11-17-2011 at 09:17 AM

Hello Oudsters :wavey:
I am trying to find more versions of the maqam Murassah.
I enjoy this maqam but struggle to find more recorded versions on oud to study, I would really appreciate any information, clips or cd's available with this lovely maqam so I can continue further with developing this as taqsim.
Below is a delightful clip of this seemingly much underplayed maqam. Thank you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxGhUY51hSE

Microber - 11-17-2011 at 12:29 PM

Hello Charlie,

I agree with you, it is a pleasant maqam.
The only piece I know with this maqam is the famous Samai Nahawand of Mesud Jemil Bey.
The first measure of the 2nd khanat. (#13 in the partition)
And in the fourth khanat (#46 to 49)
But it's not a real development of the maqam, just a modulation in the melody.

Robert

Attachment: Nahawand_Mesud.pdf (173kB)
This file has been downloaded 253 times

charlie oud - 11-17-2011 at 01:40 PM

Thanks Robert, I appreciate this and will play through it. I'm aware it often features as a brief modulation in Nahawand, I'm trying to build a taqsim in which it will be the main maqam. The sections you have pointed out will be helpful to me.

myeyes2020 - 11-17-2011 at 03:18 PM

Hi Charlie,

I believe that these two clips of the song "min hoby feek ya gari," are in maqam nahawand murassa. Hope you find them helpful. It translates into "from the extent of my my love for you oh my neighbor.."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEX_5sUdGYA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q6H-kJIfP8

Adel Ibrahim

Jono Oud N.Z - 11-17-2011 at 03:42 PM

Hi.
I also had trouble finding any pieces in this maqam.
So I composed a piece in it.
Here it is, I thought I would experiment with the Murabbaa rhythm also.

Bashraf_Nahawand_Murassah.JPG - 73kB

Microber - 11-18-2011 at 01:18 AM

Well done Jono ! :applause:
So Charlie you see it's not so difficult.
If you don't find a piece, simply compose it !

charlie oud - 11-18-2011 at 03:32 AM

Many many thanks Jono Adel and Robert for a lovely selection of Murassah flavours.
Its inspiring to here people still enjoy this maqam, I thought it may be becoming extinct!!
Its one of my favourites and I shall continue with it, your contributions are most welcome.:bowdown::applause:

oudman - 11-18-2011 at 07:34 AM

The beginning of Riyad el Sunbatis composition for Oum Kalthoum "gulubt asaleh' is nahawand murassa

jass - 11-19-2011 at 11:00 AM

Hey Guys,

I am pretty sure that oud player Joseph Tawadros' composition "Ten Ten" is in Murassah.

I have attached an excerpt. Probably one of the only examples of a modern use of this maqam...

Enjoy!

Jass :xtreme:

Attachment: tentenMurassah.mp3 (704kB)
This file has been downloaded 184 times

charlie oud - 11-19-2011 at 01:12 PM

Thank you Jass for this contribution. Hell of hot beat in that clip:airguitar: I'm starting to feel the Murassah is alive and well after all.
In the older styles there is a clear traditional feel, often melodically quite lyrical; interesting how the maqam also lends itself to quite a bluesy feel bought out in more modern fusion examples, I think this is due to 'f' and 'f' sharp bridging the link between the nahawand and hijaz jins'. Older and modern styles are both attractive to my ears. The task now is to develop my own Murassah, taking inspiration from the available sources you have all provided and taking my own path also.

jass - 11-20-2011 at 12:44 AM

Im glad you like it Charlie. I think this piece is cool. You should hear the whole piece, maybe Ill ask JT his permisson to post it. I think in this piece he plays Murassah from D tonic - D, E, F, G, Ab, B, C, D

Its good to see this scale used in a variety of ways...good luck with the inspiration!

Jass :bounce:

Jono Oud N.Z - 11-21-2011 at 02:13 PM

I would be interested to hear anyone's interpretation of my Bashraf too:)
I will post a recording soon also.
There is a Samai Nahawand by Ali Darwesh that uses Nahawand Murassah also.
It is here:

http://www.issaboulos.com/archive/index.php

Love the Joseph pieces too:applause: