Mike's Oud Forums

Zaher Khalifa 13 string Floating Bridge

hamed - 11-18-2011 at 09:53 AM

Hello,
I have a floating bridge oud made by Zaher Khalife for sale.
I recently aquired this oud, and while i think it is a very good instrument, i have not been playing it very much and have decided to sell it.
This has a Walnut back, cedar face, with rosewood tuning pegs. The oud is used, so there are some minor scratches here and there. Upon recieving this oud, i noticed that the face has sunk around the bridge area, I'm not quite sure if this is common on all floating bridge ouds. I have spoken with two luthiers that said it will not sink further and is not in danger of collapsing under string pressure. Because of this, the action is low, and there is some buzzing when playing in very high positions past the neck, only on the wound strings though.
Aside from that, the oud has superb tonal qualities, loud with incredible sustain. I am asking $400 or best offer. email with any questions hamedavid@gmail.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbofVIvTpRQ&feature=plcp

IMG_0073.jpg - 75kB IMG_3658.jpg - 82kB IMG_5249.jpg - 78kB

IMG_8930.jpg - 76kB

littleseb - 11-18-2011 at 12:51 PM

nice oud, dude!
i'm not in the market for one, but this:

Quote: Originally posted by hamed  

Will trade for vintage italian bicycle frame (road/track)

made me smile. :)

vintage italien bikes and ouds, eh? :cool:

my daily ride's a vintage colnago fixed kitted out with campag and a brooks. my ride and my oud make me the man i am.

good luck with the sell!

seb

hamed - 11-18-2011 at 01:52 PM

Ha,
that's nice!! I'm looking for a De Rosa right now, I recently aquired a vintage campagnolo track crank and feel the the need to build a new bike around it!
But I'll trade you for the colnago!:)

littleseb - 11-18-2011 at 02:01 PM

very cool! i love de rosa's! very stylish indeed!

where do you get your bits from?

and - how much do you ride? do you ride fixed at all?

sorry, the colnago stays where it is. it's very happy in london. :)

hamed - 11-18-2011 at 02:21 PM

This crank I got locally along with a road wheelset. The guy was getting rid of all his campy stuff. Usually it's hard to find here in the US. I ride fixed most of the time, but for 40 mile + rides I use my roadbike, I've got the new campy 11 speed set. I'll send u some pics if u want.

littleseb - 11-18-2011 at 02:29 PM

same here.
i find fixed is best for urban riding when there's lots heavy traffic.

yeah, send some pix, i always like looking at bikes.

have a look here:

http://www.lfgss.com

there's some real bargains to be found in the classifieds. it's uk based though.

sorry for derailing your thread, you're trying to sell an oud here!

good luck with it. :)

Omar Al-Mufti - 3-15-2012 at 02:54 AM

Hi there,
Is the oud still available ?
Would like to have an idea about the price please

hamed - 3-16-2012 at 08:52 AM

Hi Omar,
Yes i still have this oud for sale. I have not decided on a price, make me a reasonable offer.
if you are really interested you may email me at hamedavid@gmail.com
thanks

Omar Al-Mufti - 3-21-2012 at 11:07 AM

in mm how deep is the dent caused by the bridge pressure?

hamed - 3-25-2012 at 11:46 AM

Hi Omar,
The dip in the top is about 3 to 4 mm

still for sale

hamed - 7-28-2012 at 11:21 AM

Hello everyone,

this oud is still for sale, i uploaded a video. it is only strung with 6 courses in the video, but this oud is made for 13 string, 7 courses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbofVIvTpRQ&feature=plcp

Alfaraby - 7-28-2012 at 01:16 PM

Nice oud & playing. Iraqi style mold. Fair price, even a bit cheap :)
Compare with the Syrian style of Zaher's !

Good luck

Yours indeed
Jamil

IMG_2350 (Medium).JPG - 52kB IMG_2354 (Medium).JPG - 55kB

hamed - 8-1-2012 at 11:08 AM

Thank you Alfaraby for your kind words.
This oud is a proffessional grade instrument at a great price. Instruments like this are hard to come by. I listed the price at $400 to make up for the buzzing. With a custom set of string this oud will sound even better.

Alfaraby - 8-1-2012 at 12:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hamed  
I listed the price at 400 $

Ship it over :)

Good luck

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

BarakStar - 8-6-2012 at 05:13 AM

Hi Hamed,
Is the oud still for sale?
I'm looking for a 13 strings

Thank you

hamed - 8-7-2012 at 11:00 AM

Dear Barak Star
i replied to your U2U message.
The oud is still for sale, contact me via email please hamedavid@gmail.com
thanks.

dkhoury35 - 8-29-2012 at 06:12 AM

can u please put a better picture of the peg box showing all 13 pegs

pic

hamed - 8-30-2012 at 11:15 AM

photo.JPG - 83kB

pic

hamed - 8-30-2012 at 11:18 AM

photo.JPG2.JPG - 97kB

hamed - 10-10-2012 at 08:32 AM

Hey guys,
this oud is still for sale, i'm reducing the price to $350.
contact me via email hamedavid@gmail.com

thanks

fernandraynaud - 10-10-2012 at 02:54 PM

Is the fingerboard good and level? Is the bridge freely movable? If so, it seems like this would make a lovely first (or second) oud for someone at a good price. That one black peg can easily be replaced, maybe with a rosewood viola peg. For those concerned about the low action, that's more manageable than a high action. It's not uncommon for an oud soundboard to settle, and though it might have some impact on idealized aesthetics, it should be solid by now. The bridge can be raised a little with a shim, or a higher saddle inserted, or a new bridge made. One could even trim and fit an adjustable wooden guitar bridge, I'm thinking of something sort of like this, or these, or look for an old thin one. Slipping in a hardwood shim is the simplest thing for now, and I doubt it would degrade the timbre.

littleseb - 10-11-2012 at 06:25 AM

hamed,

how's your bike coming along?

hamed - 10-11-2012 at 10:02 AM

Yes the bridge is freely movable and the fingerboard is level. the oud plays and sounds better that 100% of ouds i have played in this price range. As i noted in the video, there is only buzzing on the bass courses when playing in high positions on the fingerboard. Unless you are naseer shamma this is not going to be a problem! A higher tension string set might even solve this... I personally don't think that this is even an issue, i'm only mentioning it so the buyer knows EXACTLY what they are getting.
I am only selling this oud because i am relocating in a few months and do no have space for a 3rd oud...
littleseb i sent you u2u!
Thanks

hamed - 10-11-2012 at 02:41 PM

This oud also comes with a free hardcase
Regards

photo.JPG - 98kB

ahmed_eissa - 10-11-2012 at 05:54 PM

where did you purchase the oud from originially?

hamed - 10-12-2012 at 10:49 AM

I bought the oud from arsene of this forum a over a year ago.

arakdrinker - 10-12-2012 at 11:32 AM

I would like to buy it if you'll take $300.

hamed - 10-13-2012 at 10:14 AM

Arak drinker, i sent you a U2U.

Luttgutt - 10-13-2012 at 11:06 AM

I just can't believe that no one wants this oud!!??

For 350, a good oud and a Sukar case (a similar Sukar case is out for 200$ on this forum now!!)

Hamed is beeing very honest.. this does not mean that the oud is bad. It sounds good actualy.

If have too many ouds, yet I would have bought it if it was 58,5cm...

I just think that this is strange... But that is just me :)

Have a nice weekend

fernandraynaud - 10-14-2012 at 01:59 AM

Yes, I'm puzzled too. Between the oud-saturated old-timers and the beginners who seem to have a penchant for e-bay fern planters ;-)

Microber - 10-14-2012 at 02:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Luttgutt  

I just can't believe that no one wants this oud!!??

+ 1 :shrug:

Bodhi - 10-14-2012 at 02:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
Yes, I'm puzzled too. Between the oud-saturated old-timers and the beginners who seem to have a penchant for e-bay fern planters ;-)

You forgot the skint inbetweeners, who have usually spent too much money on an oud and can't afford anymore for a few years.

and yes its amystery why this oud is still here!!! I cant believe someone offered $300 for it when $400 is well under the mark already!

SOLD !!

Alfaraby - 10-14-2012 at 08:40 AM

Hamed dear, please stop this sale at once. If you'd ship it to me, via low cost shipping method, I hereby buy this oud. Period.
Was it someone else's, it would have been sold for 1,999.99 $ or whatever , long ago !
Unbelievable .

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

hamed - 10-14-2012 at 03:12 PM

Hey guys,
thanks for the encouragement, the fact is i've had over 20 inquiries but no one has made a firm commitment to buy it which is very puzzling to me as well.
Dear Al Farabi please contract me at hamedavid@gmail.com if you are serious, thanks.
David

hamed - 10-17-2012 at 08:45 AM

The oud is officially sold!
Thanks to Mike and Greg.
David