Mike's Oud Forums

Zaman Al Wasl forum

ameer - 12-11-2011 at 12:00 PM

Hi everyone. I'm trying to gain membership to Zaman Al Wasl forum in order to participate in the discussions there as well as listen to all the unique stuff they have in their archives. The only problem is I've tried to register twice now through the method stated on the site- namely emailing the admin and basically introducing yourself- with no result. If anyone here is a member can you elaborate on what exactly are the criteria to get in and what exactly one needs to say? Apparently being an oud player with a background and interest in Arabic music isn't enough.
Thanks in advance for any help.

alidaood - 12-12-2011 at 07:04 PM

I was on a member of that site for a couple of months. It has some good material. One day I couldn't log on anymore. I wrote to find out why and he never answered.

bibo10 - 12-14-2011 at 07:00 PM

I tried to sign up for it as well but I was denied, it's very annoying

cjmichael - 12-16-2011 at 11:13 AM

I also had a membership to the site and it disappeared after a month. I really never understood why the forum was so exclusive or what that exclusivity was based on. :shrug:

ameer - 12-16-2011 at 04:17 PM

Considering they're trying to promote a style of music contrary to popular commerce you'd think they'd be interested in expanding as quickly as possible. Instead what you have is some guy going "mine! mine!," a common (though not constant) theme among Arab-run forums.

Brian Prunka - 12-16-2011 at 07:29 PM

As I recall, the site used to be more inclusive, but they had issues. They are trying to promote a high level of discussion of maqam music, and there were a lot of novices and dilettantes who (as I understand it) were bringing the level of the discussion down (with regard to the Admin's intentions).

While not my personal choice, I do understand and respect their right to devote a forum to whatever they wish and to try and keep it focused on that intent. They obviously prefer to keep it to a small group of experienced musicians and listeners and aren't concerned with attracting a wider audience. I don't think that their goal is to "promote" Arabic music per se.

It's gone through a few variations, at one point it seemed you could only post in Arabic, although I see it seems English is allowed now, though Arabic is still preferred.

It's not like the forum is a commercial enterprise, no one is owed anything, and I don't think it's right to complain that they aren't attentive or quick enough if it's not their job.

That said, it's my understanding that the following characteristics may help one in registering:
-Speaking Arabic
-having a long exposure to Arabic music, especially as a musician or academic
-demonstrating a respectful and positive attitude