Mike's Oud Forums

Ussak taksim

udi19002000 - 10-11-2004 at 06:05 AM

An Ussak taksim by me playing

mavrothis - 10-13-2004 at 11:02 AM

Bravo!

Na'sai kala megale, to eskises to taksimi.

Great playing, tell us about yourself and your ud.

Geia xara,

mav

Thank you so much...

LeeVaris - 10-13-2004 at 10:56 PM

Great taksim !

so good to hear something from the turkish/ottoman style. We tend to get much more coverage in the arabic style on this forum! I love the legato ornamentation – very fluid.

Hey Mav... now its your turn!

samzayed - 10-13-2004 at 11:09 PM

Nice! BTW, what is the the "Ussak" maqam is it the same as Ushaq Masri http://www.maqamworld.com/maqamat/nahawand.html#ushaq-masri ?

mavrothis - 10-14-2004 at 03:29 AM

Hey, I don't think it's exactly the same Sam. I have Ushak listed on my makam page though, so you can check out the minor differences if you want.

:)

mav

Jameel - 10-14-2004 at 06:11 AM

I believe it's Bayati.

mavrothis - 10-14-2004 at 06:32 AM

Hi Jameel,

Yeah, basically the way Bayati is played in the Arabic school is pretty parallel to Ussak in the Ottoman style, except for the second note being more flat (a quarter tone vs. the 1 koma flat) in Arabic music.

Beyati in Ottoman music is different in that it jumps right away to the fourth, kind of how Huseyni jumps to the fifth right away, but also the Huzzam change (Hicaz on the fourth) I think is more a part of Beyati intrinsically than the common modulation we make to Huzzam from either of these makams.

Anyway, that's what I've come away with from these comparisons.

:D

mav

Walidk - 10-14-2004 at 10:37 AM

Sam,
Don't forget also that Usshak Masri (also simply called just Usshaq in arabic maqams) has the Si (B) half flat. This makes totally different since the upper Jins becomes Rast (on Sol or G).
Walid.