Mike's Oud Forums

Tunisian luthiers

Ken - 3-26-2012 at 05:22 AM

I am planning a trip to Tunisia and looking for a decent oud while I am there, nothing fancy but a well built instrument with good tone.
Anybody know of a good maker there? Thanks.

BaniYazid - 3-26-2012 at 08:40 AM

Welcome

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=11082#pid75...

Giorgioud - 3-26-2012 at 09:02 AM

Hi Ken,
try http://www.methniprosound.com for information on the items they make. Methni Pro Sound is a company which is getting to be pretty well known outside the borders of Tunisia, its products aren't bad and some of them are quite imaginative. Hope that helps.
Giorgio

MatthewW - 3-28-2012 at 09:21 AM

Hi Giorgio- The Methni website looks interesting, and the instruments sound good over the net. Has anyone actually bought any instruments from these guys, which one (s)- kanoon, oud, etc and can offer us personal feedback? thanks! :)

BaniYazid - 3-28-2012 at 11:17 AM

The sound sample seems to be the same for all the ouds, aren't they ?

conroystoptime - 3-28-2012 at 12:13 PM

Ha, I noticed that, too. Hopefully it's an innocent mistake, but it kinda defeats the purpose of having sound files at all, doesn't it?

Tunisian Lutheir

abusin - 3-29-2012 at 05:40 AM

Try Ridha Jendoubi, he's got good qulity ouds with fair prices and also he is a very kind person
I don't think he have a website but you can contact him via his facebook page where you can see some of ouds and listen to its sound

Ridha Jandoubi, Tunisian Lutheir

Haddad

iss-2012 - 3-30-2012 at 01:35 AM

One of the best Tunisian Luthiers is Abdelhamid Haddad:

AbdelHamid Haddad

In addition he is situated geographically near Jendoubi so you can see the two luthiers at once !

good luck

Giorgioud - 3-31-2012 at 05:36 AM

Hi Matthew,
well, I know a person who has bought some ouds from them, but he's on tour at the moment and I don't think he has time to reply personally. I can only paraphrase what he told me, which is "for the price they command, which is not high at all, they are ok. The hybrids oud/guitar are a bit squalid, but the ouds themselves are worth buyng, especially the professional range". BaniYazid, you're right, the sound sample sounds the same in all the ouds (there's only a sound sample in the student ouds range, and nothing in the other ouds....strange...) because....it is the same sample!!! I am sure it's an innocent mistake, but someone shold tell them so they can sort it out.