Mike's Oud Forums

KAMIL MOWAIS, NAZARETH - 53 YEARS MAKING QUALITY OUDS

Alfaraby - 4-29-2012 at 12:26 PM

The Master Luthier: Kamil Mowais of Nazareth كميـل مو يـس - الناصرة : 53 عاماً في صناعة الأعواد
By: Jamil Elias, Nazareth.

Kamil (Camille) Mowais is probably the most eminent luthier in the Holy Land. He has supplied hundreds with the best ouds ever seen and heard around, in the second half of the 20th century. One can hardly find an oud player who hasn't got, or at least once owned, one of Kamil's ouds.

His efforts have always been focused on producing sound. Although he has built beautiful ouds throughout the years, his main interest has always been, and abides in the art of sound reproduction. His main concern was and still is, as he states, "Bracing, bracing; all the other issues are solvable."

Kamil made his first oud when he was still a 22 year old young man back in 1959. The building of his first instrument was part of his leisure time, but fortunately he continued to build ouds as a growing interest during this time. At an early age he retired from his job as a carpenter, and devoted himself solely to luthiery. Kamil constantly tells his guests that before starting to make his first oud he had never actually seen oud-making in progress. He has learned the whole process by himself. Initially he used to replicate Nahat's, Fadel's and others' ouds, brought to him for minor repair jobs; but then eventually started to make his own unique style.

In his first steps in carpentry, Kamil used to watch his masters, the most skilled carpenters in the city, make furniture and he fell in love with wood. From the early age of 14 he was convinced he wanted to be a carpenter, specializing in highly complicated jobs. Kamil fulfilled his dream and worked as a skilled carpenter for over 25 years, until he had to retire in the mid 1970's, for medical reasons, at the young age of roughly 40.

Kamil worked alone throughout the years with no apprentices, associates or employees. He has never had any assistance whatsoever, not even from his brothers or children. He would make all the decisions for his creations himself. from general aspects like wood species to the last tiny details of polishing and tuning. No one has ever touched an oud he was making until it was completely finished, polished and tuned.

Up to the last couple of years, he used to carve his own pegs, until the famous ready made Indian pegs took over his own. Generally, he has never bought any ready made parts except for strings. He still makes his own purflings and ornamentation by himself, and even used to cut his own soundboards from the wood of local fir trees until recently, when the ready made European spruce and Canadian cedar soundboards became obtainable through the internet.

His workshop is as simple and primitive as a 18-19th century luthiers' workshop! Except for the electric saw and drill, all other tools are the same known: rulers, vise, files, plane, saws, drills, hammers, reamers, chisels, knives, molds, pliers, pencils, nails, sandpaper, hot glue, shellac and etc. One can breathlessly stand still in his 10-12 sq. meters workshop, staring around and wondering how these few basic tools and raw materials are capable of producing such a beautiful musical instrument out of a couple of logs leaning against the wall. "The hands, not the tools - no matter how many or how sophisticated they are - make the instrument come to life.”

Mowais has made his bowls out of every available wood, including rosewood, ebony, wenge, maple, pear, cherry, paddock and etc. But his favorite has always been walnut, first local, then when endangered African and American walnut. "Walnut is the most suitable wood for producing the well-known deep mellow sound of the Syrian oud", says the master, "I've tried every possible wood I'd bumped into while hunting, but came into conclusion there's no equivalent to the walnut for our Arabic traditional ouds.” (Needless to say, hunting is Kamil's other hobby). This is why 90 % of Mowais’ bowls in the past decade are made from walnut, sometimes integrated with other wood, but generally just pure walnut.

Mowais used to make highly ornamented soundboards with mother of pearl inlays. Most of his ouds are well known for his detailed work on the soundboards, but lately he has quit inlaying M.O.P or any other materials in his ouds, concluding that "Ouds should be all wooden. The word "oud" in Arabic means ‘a piece of wood’, so the name just suits the instrument".

Kamil's soundboards are made of spruce and red cedar. He believes cedar gives immediate results, while spruce needs time to get better. "Players can afford to wait to get better sound, luthiers can't". Therefore he tends to use more cedar, claiming that the sound you'd hear when the oud is finished is the same you'll hear 10 years later! On the other hand, spruce is supposed to improve and might even exceed cedar in the years to come!

At the age of 75, Kamil Mowais rarely makes ouds, and for more than half a century now has only had some unexpected recesses. In every oud he makes, he tries to reach for the ultimate sound, sometimes with great success, sometimes, with even greater!

Personal p.s: I first met Kamil in 1978, when I ordered my first oud , and kept in touch with him ever since. My last visit was on April 22, 2012 when he proudly introduced his last beauty. By doing this he unintentionally closed a full 50 years' circle for me. The oldest oud he had once shown me was a 1962 piece work of art, brought to him by it’s original owner for maintenance!

So here is how 50 years oud making looks like.

More photos to come ...

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

1962 Kamil mowais 1962 f.JPG - 55kB Kamil mowais 1962 b.JPG.JPG - 48kB Kamil Mowais 1962 III.JPG - 80kB Kamil Mowais 1962 IV.JPG - 126kB

1975 Kamil Mowais 1975 I.jpg - 65kB Kamil Mowais 1975 II.JPG - 77kB Kamil Mowais 1975 III..JPG - 61kB Kamil Mowais 1975 IV.jpg - 43kB

1978 (restored lately) Kamil Mowais 1978.JPG - 59kB Kamil Mowais 1978 I.JPG - 57kB

1982: see here http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=10917

Alfaraby - 4-29-2012 at 01:19 PM

More photos :

2007Kamil Mowais 2007 I.JPG - 49kB Kamil Mowais 2007 II.JPG - 51kB
2008 Kamil Mowais 2008 I.JPG - 54kB Kamil Mowais 2008 II.JPG - 56kB
2009 Kamil Mowais 2009 I.JPG - 52kB Kamil Mowais 2009 II.JPG - 63kB Kamil Mowais 2009 III.JPG - 93kB
2010 Kamil Mowais 20.02.2010 I.jpg - 46kB Kamil Mowais 20.02.2010 II.jpg - 64kB Kamil Mowais 20.02.2010 III.jpg - 38kB

Alfaraby - 4-29-2012 at 01:24 PM

& More

6/6/2011 Kamil Mowais 6.06.2011 I.jpg - 41kB Kamil Mowais 6.06.2011 II.jpg - 53kB Kamil Mowais 6.06.2011 III.jpg - 53kB Kamil Mowais 6.06.2011 IV.jpg - 48kB Kamil Mowais 6.06.2011 V.jpg - 82kB Kamil Mowais 6.06.2011 VI.JPG - 68kB

9/12/2011 Kamil Mowais 7.12.2011 I.jpg - 57kB Kamil Mowais 7.12.2011 II.jpg - 46kB Kamil Mowais 7.12.2011 III.jpg - 43kB Kamil Mowais 7.12.2011 IV.jpg - 60kB

Alfaraby - 4-29-2012 at 01:31 PM

Latest oud :

2012 Kamil Mowais 21.04.2012 I.JPG - 46kB Kamil Mowais 21.04.2012 II.JPG - 52kB Kamil Mowais 21.04.2012 III.JPG - 66kB Kamil Mowais 21.04.2012 IV.JPG - 55kB Kamil Mowais 21.04.2012 V.JPG - 58kB

I hope you like them !

I may find some soundfile in my mess. Just excuse me for a while & I shall post them as well.

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

MatthewW - 4-29-2012 at 02:08 PM

hello Alfaraby-thanks for sharing this heart warming story of Kamil Mowais, and the many photos of his ouds. :)

looking forward to some sound clips!

best, MW

bulerias1981 - 4-29-2012 at 02:57 PM

unbelievable workmanship. Bravo ya Afendi Mowais

Brian Prunka - 4-29-2012 at 03:38 PM

Wow, he seems to have taken his luthierie to a new level--these look amazing.

Ask him why he doesn't have a website! I've liked the sound of every one of his ouds I've heard, but they are hard to get outside of Israel.

Adel Salameh - 4-30-2012 at 12:22 AM

Thank you dear brother Alfaraby for these beautiful photos....
I remember very well Kamil Mowais oud.... when i started learning the oud back in 1980 my teacher Ustaz Khalid Sadouq had one of his ouds.... I used to play that oud and liked it very much....
It"s a shame that he does not have a website to show his work....
thanks again, Salamaty,
Adel

Alfaraby - 4-30-2012 at 12:40 PM

Thanks Guys !
As I've indicated, Kamil is 75 years old. He's not familiar with English and never touched a computer. He lives alone with his spouse after their kids got married, therefore it's hard to ask him to be on the web. Anyhow, he thinks it's "too late" !
I tried several times to convince him to launch a site or even a page in facebook, offering my help, but he consistently refused.
On the other hand, Kamil refuses to publish himself in any other method, assuming his ouds were and shall always be his agents. Moreover he does not work regularly and can't stand the current demand for ouds !
Well, I gave up.

Here are some more photos of one of the latest ouds.
I hope you'd like it as well !

Thanks indeed
Alfaraby

2012 Kamil Mowais 12.04.2012 X.JPG - 37kB Kamil Mowais 12.04.2012 VIII.JPG - 42kB Kamil Mowais 12.04.2012 VII.JPG - 48kB Kamil Mowais 12.04.2012 VI.JPG - 57kB Kamil Mowais 12.04.2012 V.JPG - 44kB Kamil Mowais 12.04.2012 IV.JPG - 48kB Kamil Mowais 12.04.2012 III.JPG - 37kB Kamil Mowais 12.04.2012 II.JPG - 49kB Kamil Mowais 12.04.2012 I.JPG - 41kB

bibo10 - 4-30-2012 at 01:04 PM

Amazing work, the last Oud is my favorite!! Can I please hear it??? :)

Faladel - 5-1-2012 at 01:07 AM

Kamil is a very great luthier , his ouds has an autentic Arabic sound ,I love his ouds and sound....Very professional. Thank you brother Alfaraby.

charlie oud - 5-1-2012 at 04:44 AM

What a wonderful thread, many thanks Alfaraby for posting this summary of a grand master.

MatthewW - 5-2-2012 at 01:05 AM

hello Alfaraby- I can understand Kamil not bothering with a computer at 75, apparently not using one up to now has not been any problem with making his ouds available to those who seek him out. With the last set of photos dated 12.04.2012, do you mean he finished this oud on this date? what a beauty!:)

I'd also like to say to Adel Salameh (if he sees this) that it is really nice to have professional oud players contribute to the forum; he is one of my favorite players.

regards, MW

Adel Salameh - 5-2-2012 at 05:13 AM

Thanks you Matthew .... it's very nice of you to say this.....
I am doing more teaching these days... I would like to see more oud players in Europe... and they are proving to be great.....
Good luck to all of you and thanks Alfaraby for this article ...
Salamaty,
Adel

spyros mesogeia - 5-2-2012 at 05:59 AM

:applause:

Alfaraby - 5-2-2012 at 01:30 PM

Thanks guys. I'm honored !

There's an Arabic idiom that says : "The shoemaker is barefoot" ! Of all Kamil's ouds, I've forgotten the most precious oud on Earth !
my oud !
How could I have done something like this to my "wife" ?

So here it is !

1991 Kamil Mowais 1991 I.jpg - 40kB Kamil Mowais 1991 II.jpg - 43kB Kamil Mowais 1991 III.jpg - 67kB

Enjoy
Yours indeed
Alfaraby

spyros mesogeia - 5-2-2012 at 06:09 PM

:)):)):)):)):)):)):applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

spartan - 5-2-2012 at 09:41 PM

Amazing work, real art.

Please put a sound file if it's possible!

Alfaraby - 5-3-2012 at 12:30 AM

Here's a short video of a young local player trying an oud at Kamil's place. I could hear his voice in the first seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8775h5mG8Wc

A very good example how the new Mowais's ouds do sound like.

Enjoy !

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

Adel Salameh - 5-3-2012 at 12:35 AM

very beautiful Arab sound.... great looking oud ..... the player is nice too...
Shukran ya Alfaraby
Salamaty, Adel

stos - 5-3-2012 at 12:46 AM

nice oud! I really like the sound!

do you know if he stills sell ouds nowadays? do you know his approximatly prices?

thanks a lot!

Alfaraby - 5-3-2012 at 01:36 AM

Prices ?
I usually don't ask such questions . Moreover, he does not work regularly & as said, can't stand the big demand for ouds.

Here's another video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ3V13THJCM.
Look at the different rosettes !

Compare with 1982 oud : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLG-46U-J8U&feature=related
& see the difference !

Enjoy both

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

Adel Salameh - 5-3-2012 at 02:09 AM

The oud with the one rose is very special.... I very much like that old style... traditional Arab sound.....
the oud from 2011 is very nice too....
the 1982 is a fine instrument but I prefer the other ouds sound.....the new ouds sound much better... I believe Kamil Mowais has improved a Lot with age....
a real master Luthier.
all the best ,
Adel

Alfaraby - 5-3-2012 at 06:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Adel Salameh  
I believe Kamil Mowais has improved a lot with age .... a real master Luthier

You're right Adel ! You seem to have read my thoughts. I wanted this comparison & conclusions, and you just picked the hat. Bravo! It is as said, age makes the oud, and the maker, better !
On the other hand, you might find unbelievable old ouds of Kamil's. I have played the 1962 oud, and believe it or not, it was Abdo's same tone: mellow, warm, sweet, strong wide, open and stable.

Thank you

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

Alfaraby - 5-3-2012 at 06:17 AM

For the first time ever on the web, here are some photos of Master Luthier Kamil Mowais, back then and now.
See ? Time do make some changes. Oh ! Ask ME !
In the latest photos, taken lately, the master is double-checking an oud of our friend Nizar Rohana, while he's in a long tour in Europe .
Nizar has some of the finest Kamil's ouds. He deserved each one of them. This one as well .

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

Kamil Mowais1963.jpg - 203kB Kamil Mowais 1962 copy.jpg - 318kB Kamil Mowais 1962 .jpg.jpg - 266kB Kamil Mowais 1982 (Medium).jpg - 64kB Kamil Mowais Working.JPG - 67kB Kamil Mowais 2.05.2012 Finish.JPG - 63kB Kamil Mowais Tuning.JPG - 44kB Kamil Mowais & Kamil Mowais Jr..JPG - 41kB Kamil Mowais 3.JPG - 43kB Kamil Mowais Worktools.JPG - 83kB

Alfaraby - 5-4-2012 at 03:17 AM

Many thanks for my friends who posted a reply or wrote to me in person .

Here are two more recordings of new Kamil Mowais's ouds:

New Kamil Mowais oud :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=f8Hk3eTiNTQ&am...

New Kamil Mowais oud :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVR2zaZKvp4

By this, I think I have done enough, haven't I ?

Enjoy

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

bibo10 - 5-4-2012 at 12:41 PM

What a great thread, I am enjoying every single post!
Jamil, thank you very much for this wonderful thread.
I must say, I am in love with these ouds. They look very clean and sound Arabic. You better have mine ready when I come :)

MatthewW - 5-5-2012 at 02:32 AM

I'm with you Bibo10, I am in love with these ouds, have mine ready when I come too! :D

Dear Alfaraby, may I ask, how does Kamil make his rosettes? They are so beautiful.

dkhoury35 - 5-5-2012 at 03:29 AM

absolute work of art beautiful ouds

Alfaraby - 5-6-2012 at 12:59 PM

Thanks guys ! I shall make sure you'll get the best oud ever :)

Here's another recording:

Prof. Taiseer Elias trying one of Kamil Mowais's ouds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOaPSFEVLcs&feature

Enjoy it as well

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

nizarrohana - 5-8-2012 at 05:32 AM

Thank you Alfaraby for this beautiful and such important thread!

I have been visiting Kamil regularly in the last 4 years and i played almost every single instrument he produced since then. I think it is amazing how Kamil managed constantly to produce a high quality sound out of each sinle oud! Kamil Mowais's ouds are of the finest Arabic ouds available today!

And thank you my friend for the photos and video of my new oud! I'm extremely happy and excited knowing that such a beautiful oud is waiting for me when i come back home! :D

spartan - 5-9-2012 at 12:16 PM

really amazing sound and beautiful work

speechless !

ahmed_eissa - 8-7-2012 at 09:06 AM

What I would do to be able to purchase one from him..I am in complete and utter awe after looking at and listening to these perfect ouds.

Edward Powell - 8-7-2012 at 10:51 AM

thanks Alfaraby !
great thread!

Do u have any photos of the bracing? ...and how he makes his backs?
thanks again!

Alfaraby - 8-8-2012 at 02:39 AM

Thanks Edward !
Sorry, but the master doesn't allow anybody to be around when he works, so I never saw the interior of his oud. Never !

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

Alfaraby - 8-8-2012 at 02:42 AM

Thanks Ahmad !
To do so, you should come over. No shipping service is available overseas. Sorry !

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

Alfaraby - 9-27-2012 at 02:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MatthewW  

If anyone has not yet seen the thread on Kamil, please enjoy:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=12901#pid87...

Thanks Mathew for reminding fellow members of this important thread, especially while KM (Mathew's proffered initials for Kamil Mowais ;)) 7 courses ouds are mentioned in another important thread.

Though KM has made some in the past, he's not eager nor a fan of the concept of adding 7th high string to the oud .
I do understand & join this reluctance.

Nevertheless, It should be noted that the old Egyptian oud of the 18th century was a 7 courses oud, as observed by the French scientists in the 18-19 centuries turn. The lower string was strung underneath the highest string (like Monir Bashir's used to do with the low C) !

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

reminore - 9-28-2012 at 04:49 AM

i'm glad he doesn't have a website...whoever wants one of his oud should travel to palestine, meet him and purchase one...

excellent background...thanks for all the photos!

Alfaraby - 10-3-2012 at 01:50 AM

Here's another clip by a less famous Palestinian player, Niqola Marjieh from Nazareth, playing Mohammad Abdelwahab's rare Sama'i Huzam.
Needless to say: on Kamil Mowais's oud !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhaniveBlIk&feature=relmfu

A gifted musician. Yes indeed.

Enjoy :)

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

ameer - 11-5-2012 at 09:27 AM

I can now count myself among the owners of a wonderful Kamil Mowais oud. I got to visit some relatives in the Nazareth/Shfaamr area for the first time and made a point to visit Jamil (alfaraby). He did me the honor of showing me several of his ouds including a 1927 Abdo Nahat that manages to be quiet but not at all muted at the same time. Then we went to see Kamil Mowais. I gave him a rough idea of the sound I was looking for and he brought me an oud. Within seconds I knew that this was the oud I wanted, mainly because he had managed to make the third course sound significantly less metallic despite it being a metal wound string, something that was also present in Jamil's 1927 Abdo Nahat. The third course sounds almost unwound and blends well with the unwound second course, but it has enough wound character to blend very nicely with the wound fourth course as well. I tried a few more ouds just to be safe, including one very nice sounding oud that had been finished not long before, but I ended up taking the first one. Now back in the US I am just as satisfied with it as I was when I first played it.

Brian Prunka - 11-5-2012 at 10:31 AM

Mabrouk Ameer! Play it in good health, I am sure you will be enjoying it for many years. A player like you deserves a great oud.

Some of us would love to see pictures of it if you can manage it . . . :D

Alfaraby - 11-5-2012 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
Some of us would love to see pictures of it

1000 Mabrouk, young friend. The whole pleasure was mine meeting you & your folks.

What a surprise ? The oud you picked is shown in page 1 of this thread, dated 09/12/2011.

It's THE oud to my ears and you've chosen one of the best balanced ouds Kamil had made last year. He did not show it to anybody, since I asked him not to . I kept telling him this oud should go to whom who deserve it & he just knew the moment he saw you, you're the right person, even without asking me !

Play it with good health and never sell it . I mean NEVER ! This oud should only be inherited within the family, to your grandchildren, inshallah :)

It would be great though to let our fellow members hear its sound under your fingers, as I did

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

ameer - 11-5-2012 at 12:02 PM

Here's a quick clip. I swapped out the nylon trebbles for some nylguts to see how they sound and frankly I'm very impressed.

Alfaraby - 11-13-2013 at 01:55 PM

Herer's Ameer performing with Kamil's oud he owns as reported above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg1vzHdiRUI

Great stuff man !

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

Alfaraby - 11-13-2013 at 02:07 PM

20,947 youtubers have watched Kamil Mowais's ouds in my channel so far !
I'm glad they did. Some have contacted me asking for ouds, but I could rarely help, since uncle Kamil hasn't made any since Nov. 2012.

Now he's trying to make a come-back with the help of his son, Sima'an, and make more ouds, despite his severe health condition. Hope he'll manage. Updates to come up soon ...

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

abusin - 11-14-2013 at 01:19 PM

wonderful thread Alfaraby,
thanks for the updates and wishing usta Kamil a speedy recovery

1977 Rare Finding

Alfaraby - 8-1-2015 at 10:25 AM

I usually prefer writing about the same issue in its old thread, instead of launching a new topic. I hope I'm doing the right thing, since sometimes we tend to skip old posts for having enough of it.
Well, I never have enough of uncle Kamil's stuff as you may have known.

I have discovered a rare oud from 1977 in his first hand's owner possession. He bought it back then from the maker, planning to study music and playing the oud, but unexpected circumstances stood in his way and he didn't ever after. Nevertheless, he kept the oud in the closet, hoping to come back to it later, but he just didn't. The oud rested there untouched since 1977 and was taken out in honor of my visit.

It is a walnut and paddock typical Mowais's oud. The inlays on the back are set in the paddock rib, while the uniqueness of the work is minimizing the mosaic to one every three ribs, creating a nice balanced look. It has a very elegant walnut small bridge with MOP top and typical Kamil's MOP inlay spruce soundboard (just look above at the 1975, 2007, 2009 ouds). More wording is unnecessary.
As it wasn't played for 38 years, I just couldn't judge its sound and had to to be satisfied, for the time being, with with the looks only; though it was restrung and waited to make a test run for a year or so, in order to hear its real sound.

Take a look and enjoy

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

[file]36132[/file] [file]36134[/file] [file]36136[/file] [file]36144[/file] [file]36146[/file] [file]36148[/file] [file]36150[/file] [file]36154[/file][file]36156[/file]

ameer - 8-1-2015 at 11:01 AM

Adding to the existing thread on a subject is typically the best idea rather than making a new one. It keeps things organized and makes things easier for anyone wanting to research the issue.
I hope we will get to hear this oud once the sound has settled.

fernandraynaud - 8-1-2015 at 09:55 PM

Thanks, Alfaraby, for this wonderful thread!

Alfaraby - 8-3-2015 at 05:32 AM

Thanks friend. The whole pleasure is mine.
I'm pleased for this thread has won over 8900 readings. This means a lot to me and to the maker.
I recommend my other thread about his continuing son:
Sima'an Kamil Mowais – Second Generation Luthier from Nazareth
Here:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=15231#pid10...

Yours indeed
Alfaraby