Mike's Oud Forums

extended fingerboard questions.

_tone - 6-24-2012 at 05:47 PM

My oud has an extended fingerboard which is on a fairly even plane until it reaches the neck-body join at which point it begins to dip following the body until at the soundhole it's a full 1/8 " lower. so the action at the neck body joint is 1/8" and at the end of the fingerboard is 1/4". i'm new at the oud, and rarely play that high so it isn't an issue for me, but i'm curious about this. is it a common feature for ouds with extended fingerboards to be this way, or is mine special, and a cause for concern. thanks for your help. _tone

Nazih Ghadban - 6-24-2012 at 08:00 PM

I think this case is special on your oud !

usually the strings action at the Neck-body join is about 2.5mm to 3mm(1/8 inch)and at the end of the extended fingerboard is 4.5mm to 5.5mm(1/4 inch)and at the stable bridge 7.5mm to 8.5mm.

_tone - 6-25-2012 at 09:29 AM

just as i suspected! hopefully it doesn't mean that my oud will fall apart any time soon, as i rather enjoy playing it, despite its limitations and my limited ability, and i can look forward to many years together. maybe eventually i'll be able to play one of the beautiful ouds that you make. thank you for your response.

Nazih Ghadban - 6-25-2012 at 08:22 PM

Dear _tone

I think a right instrument will help you to advance quickly in your oud playing.
You are wellcome,I wish you more success at your oud playing !

Nazih Ghadban