Mike's Oud Forums

Badr oud

catty - 9-19-2012 at 02:46 PM

I live in Montana (USA)...not an area where ouds are to be found, usually. I haven't played since mine broke years ago :( Suddenly, there's a 5-course (what appears to be an Egyptian-style) oud available for only $300. It's not great, but appears to be pretty solid, good action, with decent resonance

I don't really WANT a 5-course...but it's the only oud I've seen in years. I've been in the store twice to buy it...and chickened-out both times

Question: if I pass on this, is it very likely that someone here may have a functional oud for sale for 3-4 hundred bucks? If so, then I can relax...(a bit :( )

Thanks!

Brian Prunka - 9-19-2012 at 07:46 PM

How many peg holes does it have? Many 5-course ouds can be (and have been) converted to 6 courses with minimal effort, as long as there is room for an extra peg. A new nut and redrilled bridge holes are the main work involved, plus possibly fitting an extra peg.

It's unusual to find a decent oud in the $300 range.

catty - 9-20-2012 at 06:14 AM

Thanks Brian--I guess I'll go ahead and acquire this one then

It did look to have room already for another course on the bridge...I didn't look to see if all the pegs were strung, though

catty - 9-20-2012 at 11:46 AM

I got it. Not only is my anxiety relieved..but it's rather a nicer instrument than I'd assessed. It is as you'd anticipated, Brian--12 pegs (and the un-strung bridge course)

I believe it comes from Dubai (I was told). It bears a manufacturer's label, but unfortunately I'm unable to read it

Well I'm rather excited; I've been involved in many, many other projects since breaking my oud several years ago...but actually gave up playing flamenco guitar (after 30+ years of classical guitar)--to which I'd been thoroughly devoted for decades--last year after the practice requirements exceeded my capacity. I'd been playing mostly fiddle and large mandolins (bouzouki, cittern) for my string fix. But these do not assuage oudness of course :buttrock:

I'm very excited to be back in the phrygian again ; )

fernandraynaud - 9-20-2012 at 11:49 PM

Hi, Catty, welcome! I imagine you know that by now, but we'll help you as much as we can. Before you re-string it "for real", there are a number of things you might want to do. If you can measure the scale length, the action height at the neck-body junction, and post some close-up photos, we might collectively come up with some good suggestions. You should probably order one or a couple good but inexpensive sets of strings, Daniel Maris are nice and flexible. Later you can see if some other set suits your instrument better.

catty - 9-21-2012 at 06:06 AM

Thank you. Yes, I'm looking forward to restringing "proper"--playing without my bottom course now!--but it needs nut replacement. Where might I find parts for sale in the US?

I wish I could recover the battery charger that my wife has "hidden" so I could post a pic or two :(

John Erlich - 9-21-2012 at 11:19 AM

For oud parts, you can try:

http://www.droud.com/workshop.html
http://www.khalafoud.com/

Good luck!

catty - 9-24-2012 at 10:09 AM

Anyone familiar?

[] 011.jpg - 86kB

Alfaraby - 9-25-2012 at 08:42 AM

The "Rosette" says "Oud Adany" (Adan is a Yemeni city) while the label states as follows:

"Safwat Badr
Musical Instruments Manufacturer
2 Lateef st. Al Yakaneya Al Qadeema
(Old Yakaneya is a quarter of Cairo, Egypt)
Tel : 25141392 Mobile : 0101806634
"

Sorry ! I haven't heard of him before. No offense !

Good luck
Yours indeed
Alfaraby

catty - 9-25-2012 at 08:59 AM

No offense taken!...I'm sure it's not a high quality instrument

Thank you Alfaraby

stringmanca - 9-25-2012 at 09:22 AM

What part of Montana are you located in? I'll be up in Kalispell this weekend visiting my mother.

Nathan

catty - 9-25-2012 at 10:30 AM

Missoula. Enjoy Glacier Park!