Mike's Oud Forums

Ordering an oud : good/bad experience?

stos - 1-5-2013 at 09:00 AM

hello!

All the different oud I owned where never ordered but always finished instrument that I had the opportunity to try and see if I like them or not.

Now I'm considering ordering from one maker that I like the work. But there is something that I find difficult to deal with : Oud are so unique that you cannot really say if it gonna be a good one or not.

For example I tried some ouds from Haddad (tunisian maker) made the same day, and the one was great the other not so much.

So what if I do not like the sound of the oud at the end? it could be because it is not so well made or also because the sound is not what I attended.

did it happen to some of you? how could you deal this with a kuthier?

thanks for sharing your experiences!

thanks for sharing

Multi Kulti - 1-5-2013 at 09:58 AM

Hi Stos (Christos maybe?) !

The luthiers want to make good ouds and more to please the customers. So i dont think they would want you to keep an instrument you dont actually like. With all the luthiers i dealt with it was like "you like it you keep it" Otherwise they would make something else or sell it to someone other..

Its very nice to have a custom oud made from a luthier you like his work. The contact with him, the time you spent designing and discuss about it. And of course the personal taste in sound and appearance.

I wish the best in choosing!

Nikos

jdowning - 1-5-2013 at 01:09 PM

This is an interesting question.

Although it might be expected that an instrument custom ordered from an experienced and well established luthier will be of at least a reasonably acceptable high standard acoustically there is likely no guarantee that it will be exceptional. So a 'you like it you keep it' policy would certainly be fair.

Some of todays top lute makers have waiting lists extending to several years and will usually require a non returnable deposit when an instrument is ordered and full payment once work has started on making the lute. I am not sure what the situation would be if the completed instrument, costing several thousand dollars - in the unlikely event - turned out to be a complete 'dud' (in the opinion of the customer). Would the luthier take back the instrument for a refund - I have to doubt it.

Interesting to note that a prominent and well established Spanish company producing high quality, hand made classical guitars - do not price their completed instruments - all the 'same' in construction, finish and appearance - until they have been fully tried and tested by experienced players employed for that purpose. Those judged to have exceptional acoustical properties are then sold with a suitably elevated price tag.

paulO - 1-5-2013 at 08:00 PM

Hi Stos,

If you want to be sure how an oud is going to sound, play the finished oud - then buy it (or not). Custom orders can never be a sure thing, and that's just how it is. You have to be sure the maker you're ordering from has a sound you like, or style you like. Then you have to roll the dice. The last paragraph of jdowning's post pretty much says it all....good luck man.

Regards...Paul