Mike's Oud Forums

Baglama Saz

slackandsteel - 1-8-2013 at 03:27 PM

Apologies for posting this in the Oud forum...

I'm an American living in California who has been playing saz for about 9 years off and on. I've had two lessons with a saz player but other than that am self-taught, picking things up on the internet, youtube etc. I'm currently going through the Baglama Metodu book that was written by Arif Sag and Erdal Erzincan and translated to English a couple of years ago. I'm about half way through the intermediate level (Level 2 of 3). This book uses baglama (ADE) tuning, but I also play in Kara (ADG). I own a short neck, long neck and an elektro saz.

Here's a sample clip of me playing: https://www.box.com/shared/4nrzu2gm37

I'm always looking to correspond with other English speaking saz players (especially more advanced players) to exchange information, tips etc. There's one forum on tribe.net that I used to post to but that forum was mostly beginners and has since dried up.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill

PS I love the oud too and hope someday to own one.

fernandraynaud - 1-9-2013 at 03:10 AM

Welcome, Bill, love your playing, very clean!

All you need is an Oud ;-)

slackandsteel - 1-9-2013 at 02:02 PM

Thanks Fernand for the kind words.

Yes, I'd love to own an oud some day, but I think it might be a little late in life for me to start learning such a difficult instrument (I also play jazz guitar, lap steel guitar and ukelele already). Maybe when I retire and have more time?

Hopefully there's some some saz players lurking around here or enthusiasts who might be able to offer some words of advice!

Sasha - 1-9-2013 at 02:20 PM

Your technique is *EXCELLENT* and you have - unlike many Americans who play with the baglama - got the Turkish *sound* down better than most, especially with your ornamentation.:).

You sound like a Turk playing, and I can think of no higher praise.

slackandsteel - 1-9-2013 at 02:42 PM

Wow, thanks Sasha!

You must not be a Turk :))

But I appreciate the compliment!

kidragon - 9-21-2017 at 03:23 AM

Brother Slack and Steel, thank you for the post and recommendation! Where can you purchase the Baglama Metodu English version? Thank you for your reply!

Thanks
Ron