Mike's Oud Forums

The Qaflah

ahmed_eissa - 1-8-2013 at 05:50 PM

In my quest to read everything I can about Arabic music theory and taqsim/modulation, I came across "The Qaflah"from Brian Prunka's website.

http://www.brianprunka.com/oud/maqam2.htm

He defines it as "standard cadential formulae used to resolve to the tonic of a particular maqam (or a jins within the maqam). Most of the time, this involves ascending to some note, then rapidly descending down to the tonic. A melodic cadence is called a qaflah (pl. qaflat)."

And then provides a few examples, such as:

"Bayati family: usually 4-1

Kurd family: usually 4-1. In the key of C (Hijaz Kar Kurd), the
7th below tonic commonly precedes 4 (Bb - F - C).

Nahawand family: extremely variable; I've heard a lot of different qaflat used, including: 5-1, 4-1, 3-1."

The Michigan Arab Orchestra's definition

qaflah: a cadential pattern ending a musical phrase and usually followed by a pause.

I am still a bit confused on this technique, and how to execute it. Could anyone perhaps explain it in a little more detail, and/or provide an actual example (youtube or audio file is fine)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Masel - 1-10-2013 at 04:36 AM

i disagree with that, it doesn't fit what i know about qaflah. qaflah literaly means "to lock" in arabic and there is not one type, it is simply a way of "closing" a phrase in a tasteful way. it can be done many ways but normally a qaflah as i know it is usually "falling" rapidly from a note down to the tonic/temporary tonic. it ends the phrase in a way that leaves tension and leaves you waiting for more, which makes the music more compelling. for example in this farid taqsim you can hear it at:

0:13
0:31
0:56
1:37

and so on...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHVNj05SoH0

if you cannot find it on your own you should pay attention to where the musical phrases end (followed by a silence). although it can be found in the middle of phrases too.

Brian Prunka - 1-10-2013 at 04:49 AM

Those pages were written a long time ago, I've left them up because a lot of people have told me they found them useful but there is a lot of incomplete information.

While there isn't just one qaflah for a maqam, there are usually only a few standard underlying structures that are expressed in slightly different ways. These are usually a phrase emphasizing the dominant followed by the tonic, or the octave followed by the tonic (or temporary ones, as in a modulation).
Just to be clear, it's not just those notes! It might be the whole scale, it might be a descending sequence or other melodic pattern.
What is consistent is that a higher note is emphasized followed by a lower one.

You just have to check out songs and taqasim to learn examples; it's not something that you can learn in a purely theoretical way.

maybe people can post some youtube clips and point out the examples like Masel did. I'll try to find some and point some out.

Masel - 1-10-2013 at 01:44 PM

yes i know what you mean like in the same taqasim i posted listen at 1:00 and at 1:20 in both of these he starts with a high g bayat and finishes on the low G (tuned very low).

ahmed_eissa - 1-12-2013 at 05:17 PM

Thanks for the help. I'm gaining a better understanding now with these examples. And I agree Brian, I think if some members could post a few more examples like the ones we have above, that would be great. :)

ameer - 1-12-2013 at 06:38 PM

Here is a youtube link for Riyad El Sunbati's famous taqsim from the song Ashwaq.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kjFR321XyQ
Pay attention at: 1:06, 3:56, 4:57, 5:45, 6:47, 8:52 and 9:55.
My uncle once described a well executed qafla like a well executed break on a car: it smoothly brings the passenger from whatever speed back to 0 without jolting them by being too sudden or letting them get too used to an intermediate speed.