Mike's Oud Forums

Master Sunbati Taqsim Analysis - help

chaldo - 1-17-2013 at 07:05 PM

Riad Al Sunbati is not just a master, he's an inspiration for me and surely for many of you. Sometimes, I can listen all day to a 4min piece of Riad and that makes it for me. I mean he's not just an outstanding player (notice on the risha!!!), but he's a composer and that's explosive! and here is the proof:

his Al Atlal intro in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yzBfv4rVto I had the wrong clip!!

I have tried to analyze it, if any of you is willing to check what I have here, that would just be amazing.. or maybe any of you already did that and have it or maybe it's out there on a webpage or other forums.. in any case that would be great so I could compare it with what I figured out. Thank you

here is what I have:

Al Atlal taqsim en Si demiBĂ©mol (B /b)

0:00 - 1:10 -> Huzam B /b

1:10 - 1:19 -> Mustaar (segah B /b - Nahawand D) emphasis on the D and he plays C# and D together.

1:37 - 1:44 -> Mustaar (segah B /b - rast D) emphasis on the D and he plays C# and D together.

1:44 - 1:56 -> Huzam B /b

1:56 - 2:08 -> Segah B /b - Bayat D

2:08 - 2:19 -> emphasis on G (Segah B /b sous-entendu but feels like Rast G because of the emphasis)

2:19 - 2:37 -> Bayat D (descends to and even up to dominant G just to mark the Bayat)

2:37 - 2:55 -> Huzam B /b with emphasis on the returning Eb (getting rid of the E /b)

2:55 - 3:18 -> 324 instead of 342 incorporating a C#

3:18 - 3:40 -> Bayat D

3:40 - magic sequence of up.C - D - Eb - G down.F# Eb D C B /b

Masel - 1-20-2013 at 05:23 AM

id call that part with the C# saba on A but he never reaches it he goes back to segah

chaldo - 2-3-2013 at 08:41 PM

Masel, you are absolutely right, he never really goes back to the A... to create a saba there.. but do you agree with the rest? thanks for your help my friend.

Riad is just an inspiration all over! I wonder what our brave (brave بين قوسين;) iza3at (Egypt tv, Syrian TV, Kuwait... ) have in their archives about Riad and other.. I hope their don't get lost in all this chaos we have in our times!