Mike's Oud Forums

libya

billkilpatrick - 11-10-2004 at 09:20 PM

anyone been to libya? got any recommendations vis. luthiers or markets?
- bill

revaldo29 - 11-10-2004 at 10:09 PM

Hey bill,

I am from Libya and have purchased two ouds from there. I'm from benghazi so I can direct you to a store there. Are you from Libya? It would be interesting to know if there are any other libyans involved in internet oudism.

billkilpatrick - 11-10-2004 at 11:52 PM

dear revaldo -

greetings. no, i live in italy and was just thinking about taking a holiday in libya. if there's a possibility of putting my hands on a good oud, all the better.

are there libyan luthiers worth noting? i've never seen any mention of them and i'm curious.

one item i found on the net said that libyans rely heavily on egypt for music in general and the colonel listens to the nolans ...

hmmmm ...

ciao - bill

David Parfitt - 11-11-2004 at 12:21 AM

Hi Bill

I heard that travel to Libya (for pleasure rather than business) is only possible as part of an organised tour group at the moment. Apparently some backpackers vandalised part of a Roman historical site a few years ago, so the authorities placed restrictions on travel.

Best wishes

David

revaldo29 - 11-11-2004 at 01:58 PM

Bill, there are, to my knowledge, no prominent libyan luthiers. There is a pretty severe neglect for the arts in Libya. Your best bet would be Egypt. A ticket from benghazi to Cairo is about 180 U.S. dollars.