Mike's Oud Forums

1970 Bedrossian Oud for Sale

conroystoptime - 2-20-2013 at 10:04 AM

Hello,

I am offering this beautiful Arabic oud for sale, made in Damascus in 1970 by master luthier Karabet Der Bedrossian.

I purchased the oud in August 2012 from a forum member. In Fall 2012, New York-based luthier Najib Shaheen completed the restoration.

Najib did an excellent job, as always, in going about all the structural repairs to return this oud's beautiful tone to the world:

-- Neck re-set (John Vergara worked with him on this, I believe...thank you John, nice work!)
-- Installation of ebony fingerboard (the original decorative fingerboard's inlay was plastic, and the fingerboard had many holes...not worth saving)
-- Original string holes in bridge closed (it had been a 5-string oud), new holes opened
-- Reinforcement of bridge with extra piece of wood
-- Installation of new ebony tuning pegs
-- Installation of new nut
-- Reenforcement and extension of braces
-- Cracks and holes on the soundboard were glued and repaired (cosmetic flaws still exist on the largest of the cracks, but the soundboard is now solid and stable)
-- Cleaning and lacquering of bowl
-- Replacement of missing pieces of bone in purfling

The oud plays beautifully. I am asking $2500.

Here is a link to some other Bedrossian classics: http://www.varjouds.com/berossian.htm

And here is a video of me playing and showing the oud. I'm no virtuoso, but this should give you a feel for the classic Arabic tone this oud produces.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rKic9YOxxY&list=UUYQTcBTijxEodo...

Thank you for listening and looking!

Josh

[file]25942[/file] [file]25944[/file] [file]25946[/file] [file]25948[/file] [file]25950[/file]

conroystoptime - 3-1-2013 at 02:45 PM

Forgot to mention that all the work Najib did was at an extremely discounted price.

I'd given him another oud, so he knocked off at least $500.

Brian Prunka - 3-1-2013 at 07:48 PM

I hope I get to check this out before you sell it!
You should have brought it by the other night . . .

conroystoptime - 3-2-2013 at 07:42 AM

Brian, we'll make it happen!

Kargoz - 3-25-2014 at 05:27 AM

Josh, is this Bedrossian by chance still in your possession? Interested. Thanks
George

conroystoptime - 3-27-2014 at 01:00 PM

It is still available! I just sent you a U2U.

Brian Prunka - 3-27-2014 at 02:03 PM

I didn't mention that I got to play this oud; it's nice, with a great old-school Arabic sound.