Mike's Oud Forums

Harry Efendi?

adamgood - 2-22-2013 at 01:02 PM

Hi Everyone,
I came across this youtube video of a demo for a 78 rpm record restoration project and I'm wondering if anyone knows more about the ud player. Have a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7axxTKCS3A

Cool video eh? And very nice taksim. Does anyone know who this is? On the CD compilation "To What Strange Place" there is a violinist listed as Harry Edwards so I'm wondering if it's the same guy.

Just curious and kind of fascinated.

Thanks all!

Adam

Jono Oud N.Z - 2-22-2013 at 01:47 PM

Cool!
These old recordings are really valuable.
Thanks.
I would be interested to know more as well.

Jody Stecher - 2-22-2013 at 03:51 PM

Wow, that's right up my alley. I don't know who it is but I sure like how he takes his time and refrains from playing as if he's being paid by the note. Thanks for calling attention to this disc.

Quote: Originally posted by adamgood  
. Does anyone know who this is?
Thanks all!

Adam

hartun - 2-22-2013 at 05:45 PM

i saw this video as well. ive never heard of harry hassekian (who is referred to as harry edwards on to what strange place) as playing the oud. a friend of mine had a great grandfather who was oud player harry belezarian. i'll see if he can ID this disc from the picture.

Jonathan - 2-23-2013 at 08:36 PM

I wonder if the oud player pictured on this label is the same Harry?
I always thought it was Everett Bashian, but now I have no idea

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=2724

hartun - 3-19-2013 at 01:49 PM

late response - jonathan your pic of everett bashian at the assyrian picnic matches up with the MG Parsekian record label. here's my question though. according to the spottswood guide there are several 78's out there with artist listed as harry edward effendilar. recently with the release "to what strange place" there were tracks with the artist listed as "harry edwards" which is presumably harry edward effendilar. but the problem is effendilar is the plural of effendi. so what we have is not harry edward(s) effendi but a harry effendi and an edward effendi. messrs. harry and edward, in other words. now we know harry is harry hassekian. but who is edward? is it possible that everett bashian is the same person as edward effendi, and that the name got screwed up through oral tradition by people talking with an armenian accent? (edvurt sounds a lot like "everett".) or are you positively sure that there was a guy named everett bashian? its an odd name for an armenian of that generation to say the least, although he could have been named after some protestant missionary in turkey.

ian nagoski compiler of "to what strange place" claims that harry hassekian is from marash. do we know anything about edward and/or everett as to where they were from? it seems these guys were a team so perhaps they were from the same city or region, although thats not necessarily so.

hartun - 3-19-2013 at 02:05 PM

and a commenter on the youtube video claims that this harry effendi is violinist harry hassekian, who apparently also played oud. that seems to match up because according to the spottswood guide the harry edward effendilar recordings were on "harry's records" just as the youtube video is.