Mike's Oud Forums

need advice about Kurschner strings

juju - 2-23-2013 at 04:16 AM

Hi,
I own a Syrian oud, the scale is 61,5 cm.
I use kurschner strings (see attachement), someone could tell me what is the tension of that strings on my oud ?
I saw on the internet that the kruschner strings are available in 3 different tensions : high, medium, low. Someone could tell me what is the type of my strings ?
At present I would like to experiment a tension around 3kg, do I have to try lighter strings ?
Thanks.
Julien

Nb : my tuning is "arabic high F"

Matthias - 2-23-2013 at 09:32 AM

Hello,

the set you actually have is an older one. I do not have any information about these sets about the tension. The new sets you can all find here in my shop:
http://music-strings.de/index.php?k=137

About these new numberings I have a tension table. Send me a message through my shop and I can give you this table.

One problem is the scale. The sets are calculated for 60 cm and with your 61,5 cm scale you will always have a bit a higher tension.

regards

Matthias

juju - 2-24-2013 at 02:46 AM

Thanks for your reply, I talked with the luthier who sold me the strings, those strings are "medium" ... the tension of the strings is around : 3,7 kg.
Should I try the lower strings set from Kurshner to reach 3,0 kg ?
What about the pyramid strings on my 61,5 cm oud ?
best,
julien

fernandraynaud - 2-24-2013 at 10:01 PM

Par curiosite, why exactly do you want precisely 3 Kg tension? It's not unusual for a good set to not have perfectly matched tensions, some a bit below 3 Kg and some almost reaching 4.

juju - 2-25-2013 at 03:53 AM

I've read on the forum that the oud has is optimum of resonance between 2,8 and 3,2 kg.
At present my tuning is around 3,7kg. Isn't it too tight ?

I'm wondering if the "low tension" strings set from Kurschner should be a good option for me ????