Mike's Oud Forums

"Al Tarab oud"

bulerias1981 - 6-5-2013 at 06:53 PM

Hello all. Just finished another oud, and almost done with a third. Here is what I call "Tarab oud" for a lack of a better name. Shallow bowl depth, making it close to the body and comfortable to play (175mm), long scale (614).

This oud has very quality sophisticated tone. Video/audio to come. It has that old tarab sound, hence the name.

PM me if interested. Thanks.

◾Scale = 614
◾Face width = 360
◾Face length = 515
◾Bowl depth = 175
◾Classic Syrian pattern main rosette = 109
◾Classic Syrian pattern small rosettes = 40 x2
◾Bowl from Dark America walnut and mahogany
◾Rosewood pegs, rosewood fingerboard
◾Wide grain spruce top
◾Bone nut
◾Pick guard from walnut
◾Walnut bridge w/ bone cap
◾Bone cap on peg box
◾Finished with antique oil
◾Pegbox from walnut and maple (prevents pegbox from splitting)

fadel - 6-6-2013 at 07:30 AM

Hi
nice work

Doc139 - 6-6-2013 at 09:24 AM

Congratulations John, this oud looks wonderful!
Alexander

DORADO - 6-6-2013 at 11:16 AM

BRAVO ,

really,really beautiful
i can't wait the soundfile ,very nice work

Cyril.

majnuunNavid - 9-11-2013 at 11:43 PM

Wow, it really has that old Syrian look I love so much. Beautiful.

bulerias1981 - 9-20-2013 at 06:45 PM

Thanks everyone. This oud has been sold as of August to one of my students.

jack - 9-20-2013 at 06:53 PM

I believe you still owe us a video of your lovely oud.

Sawsan - 9-28-2013 at 03:20 AM

It looks beautiful! I am curious to hear the sound and also to know the standard price for such ouds. I'm a beginner and still familiarizing myself with the language being used here. But, as a female beginner I was told that I should look for an oud that is around 58-57cm scale and 35width... And from what I see here the sizes are completely different; like you are using different units! May someone please elaborate on that?! Thanks in advance!

oudjoy - 12-13-2013 at 12:09 AM

Hi, I am very privileged to be the owner of this oud! I love it for many reasons. It plays with extremely soft action, effortlessly producing a gorgeous, loud sound, which is deep and earthy. I am intensely grateful for the softness of its action, which allows me to practice for as long as I choose without the slightest joint pain...and it lets me play with greater detail. Because it increased my practice time so much, the Tarab proved to me that I can definitely take up the oud as a main instrument while in my 50's.

When the humidity is not changing much, the Tarab holds its tuning for days.

Also, I appreciate that John actually sanded down the edge at the juncture of the soundboard and the bowl, where my right arm rests, so that I play more comfortably for much longer periods.

I could not be happier with this instrument. It is pure pleasure to play. Thank you so much John, for making this gorgeous Tarab.

oudjoy - 12-13-2013 at 12:09 AM

Hi again,

I just want to add that the Tarab's shallow bowl is ideal for me as a female player. My first oud had a deep bowl, and I developed a bad habit of holding it in an exaggerated triangle position, that I am still struggling against today. With the Tarab, my ergonomics can be ideal.

Brian Prunka - 12-13-2013 at 06:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sawsan  
It looks beautiful! I am curious to hear the sound and also to know the standard price for such ouds. I'm a beginner and still familiarizing myself with the language being used here. But, as a female beginner I was told that I should look for an oud that is around 58-57cm scale and 35width... And from what I see here the sizes are completely different; like you are using different units! May someone please elaborate on that?! Thanks in advance!

John's units are millimeters.