Mike's Oud Forums

oud tuning

guitarplayer006 - 11-27-2004 at 04:18 PM

Hi everyone
I just got an oud and am learning how to play, but im not sure how the tuning should sound. I think im going to use the tuning EABEAD. Does anybody have a sound file of this tuning?? i want to make sure i dont tune it an octave to high or something stupid like that.
Thank you

Zulkarnain - 11-27-2004 at 07:51 PM

Hi

If Im not mistaken you just received your Turkish Oud made by Haluk right? Mind telling us about your new Oud? Any comment?

Salam

Hello guitarplayer006

sydney - 11-27-2004 at 08:04 PM

:wavey:

Congratulations for your new oud.

You can tune it to CFAdgc or FADgcf

Use a Chromatic tuner if you have one or

tune it to a keyboard (better than a sound file) if you know how to do so.

do you play turkish music or Arabic?

I personally tune my oud to FADgc

See how you go. If you need help please ask.

Good luck

Emad from Sydney

Haluk - 11-28-2004 at 01:28 AM

Hi Jarret,

Tuning sounds of oud attached.
Enjoy your oud.

All my best.

Greg - 11-28-2004 at 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Haluk
Hi Jarret,
Tuning sounds of oud attached.
Enjoy your oud.
All my best.

Haluk,

By my chromatic tuner, that seems to be D G C F Bb Eb (low to high).
Is that a standard tuning?

Regards,

Greg

Haluk's tuning

spyrosc - 11-28-2004 at 04:46 AM

Dear Greg,

It sounds to me that Haluk has tuned up by half a step from one of the classic Turkish tunings (Low to High):

C# F# B E A D

The distances are the same, and maybe Haluk feels that his oud sounds better this way.

No worries mate
Spyros C.

Haluk - 11-28-2004 at 08:44 AM

Hi,

That tune is appropriate with my voice when I sing a song or turku(folk music).

Regards.

Dr. Oud - 11-28-2004 at 09:16 AM

You may use any tuning that suits you and/or your voice (as does Haluk). I would caution you about tuning up to F (top string) with the same strings intended to be at D. The extra tension, especially in the lower or bass strings may damage your oud. If you want to tune higher, (E or F) you should add a smaller guage string at the top and move all the others down or over by one course. The oud is a delicate instrument and does not have the strength to withstand string tension much higher than it was designed for. I would follow Haluk's advice, as he built it and understands the oud's limits.

guitarplayer006 - 11-29-2004 at 08:39 PM

Yes Zulkarnain I did receive my Turkish Oud from Haluk and I am very pleased with it. I love to play it and it sounds wonderful. The bowl of the instrument looks amazing. Considering the price I paid and the quality of the oud I'm very happy I purchased it.
:airguitar:

Zulkarnain - 11-30-2004 at 12:03 AM

Good to hear that, Haluk does produce a very good quality Oud!

Salam