Mike's Oud Forums

Accelerating the new string breaking-in process

Elie Riachi - 11-28-2004 at 10:09 AM

Hi All,

I think I may have come up with a method to accelerate the breaking-in process of a new set of strings. Few days ago I installed a new set of Aquila nylguts. I tuned them a half a step higher than the intended and left them at that for a couple of days then tuned back to the standard tuning and now they seem to be stable and stay in tune as if they have been used for a month.

If you have a healthy oud, you might want to try this procedure.

Regards,
Elie

String stretching

Brynley - 11-28-2004 at 10:40 PM

Very timely advice. I,ve just put a set of Aquilas on, and have been constantly retuning for two days now, I,m definitely going to try your tip. Hopefully it works, as this has been a frustrating couple of days, trying to play and not even making it through one piece without going out of tune. :airguitar: :(

tezza - 11-30-2004 at 01:41 AM

An old trick I used to use on guitars was to take them half a step higher and then gently (very!) stretch them by hand. I found that it took care of any of the natural slippage that occurs after putting new strings on. I've found that it works well on the oud as well. BTW, guitar 'techs' who work with bands usually tune the guitars a step higher and then strum them heavily for a couple of minutes to allow for slippage before using the tuner again, but I perfer my method.