Mike's Oud Forums

Who is the maker of this oud

Microber - 12-12-2013 at 01:59 PM

I came accross a video of Nasser Houari.
I love his playing and also the sound of his oud.
Although I don't find it very nice.
Does anybody know who is the maker of his oud ?
Thanks.
Robert

epokhe - 12-12-2013 at 02:18 PM

I would guess Khalid Belhaiba made this oud, but that is only a guess and I will be interested to hear from someone with greater expertise. (I should know this already, because Mr. Houari is one of my very favorite players!)

Microber - 12-12-2013 at 02:24 PM

Nasser Houari also is one of my favourite players.
I also thought of Khalid Balhaiba but this oud doesn't ressemble any oud of his ouds. Maybe it's an old oud. I notice that the upper little rosette is a little damaged.
I have sent him a message on his website.
I hope that he reads the messages.
Robert

majnuunNavid - 12-12-2013 at 09:48 PM

I think you are right, it is a Khalid Balhaiba Oud... listen to the Oud of Said Chraibi, and he plays balhaiba. Also, the cut of the rosette appears to be the same style. But I am no expert in this.

http://www.belhaibaoud.net/acheve.html

Also thanks for sharing that video it's great.

epokhe - 12-15-2013 at 04:09 AM

I just happened upon this Youtube video with the indication "Oud made by Khalid Belhaiba," and he's playing the same instrument:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM0SgGsiYAY

I don't know where the Youtube user acquired this information, or how they drew this conclusion, so it isn't 100% certain. In any case, they have posted some very cool videos, including everyone from Nasser Houari and Said Chraibi to Munir Bashir and Naseer Shamma. Worth checking out their channel!

Doc139 - 12-15-2013 at 10:29 AM

Indeed, very interesting collection of videos on this youtube channel - besides all these oud masters and greek musicians etc. they have also videos of a bunch of interesting old bands from the 70ies, like Emerson Lake and Palmer, Gentle Giant, Amon Düül, Iron Butterfly, Camel - that was the music I liked a lot when I was young ... !
Alexander