Mike's Oud Forums

Kinda Stuck...

RonPeL - 1-6-2014 at 07:41 PM

Hi all!

What I mean is a) I have reasonably extensive musical background - have played (at) a lot of instruments over the years. b) I have a GREAT oud made for me by Majid in Casablanca :) c) I live in Pittsburgh.

So I'm stuck - I can play recognizable western tunes; I "understand" (OK - superficially) what maqamat are - but alas, not teacher (that I know of) here in da 'Burgh.

Looking for recommendations - videos/online stuff/people... - what I've seen is either so elementary as to be useless, or so advanced that I can't keep up. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!!

Brian Prunka - 1-6-2014 at 08:19 PM

There are some teachers in Philly, I believe . . . maybe not impossible for you?
Alternatively, Skype lessons could be an option.

It's a little ways off yet, but if you could manage to go to Simon Shaheen's retreat in August it would be a great way to jump-start your oud playing and understanding of Arabic music.

RonPeL - 1-7-2014 at 05:13 AM

Thanks, Brian -
Unfortunately, The City of Brotherly Love is about a 5+ hour drive - a bit much for lessons. However, upcoming work MAY take me there from time to time - if you know of any teachers there, maybe I could connect with one and do the ad hoc lesson and take home stuff to work on.

I have (just now) looked into Simon Shaheen's workshop - looks like it may be a fun thing to do!

Ron

mavrothis - 1-7-2014 at 06:46 AM

Hi Ron,

I used to live in Pittsburgh, I know what you mean. Plenty of Syrians and Greeks, but not much in the way of oud players, at least not when I was there.

I'd be happy to help you over Skype if you are interested. Just send me an email if you are.

Thanks,

mavrothi

Brian Prunka - 1-7-2014 at 07:37 AM

Yes, I didn't think you would be making that trip often, just that it might be worth it to go once in a while at least to study with somebody.

Cleveland is closer to you and has a decent-sized Lebanese population I think . . . maybe you could find someone there?

RonPeL - 1-7-2014 at 01:26 PM

Cleveland, eh? Anyone know some players/teachers in that area - Akron works too.
Thanks!
Ron