Mike's Oud Forums

Makam books

hartun - 1-15-2014 at 03:18 PM

I think I have asked this question already but I can't find the post. I am looking for a book that explains Turkish makam at a beginners level. An older Armenian musician suggested the book "Makam" by Karl Signell, but I didn't find it helpful as it only has some of the makams and also doesn't talk about the oud at all. I also have Mavrothi's book "School of the Oud" which is much to my liking but it only has 3 makams in it. Where can I find an explanation of all the major makams? Thank you.

Lysander - 1-16-2014 at 05:17 AM

Hartun, you may be surprised to know that there are only six books in English that we know of here written specifically for the oud and only three for the Turkish oud, of which Mavrothi's is one. I do not think there is one written for the Turkish oud specifically which covers all the main makamlar. Signell's book is not oud-specific.

My advice to you is to pick up a copy of Cameron Power's book Arabic Musical Scales which gives a basic overview of over 40 maqamat. Though the book concentrates on the Arabic side, there is little difference between the Arabic maqamat and the Turkish makamlar in their intervals.

Jody Stecher - 1-16-2014 at 08:40 AM

This topic was the subject of a recent thread. What you want to know is here: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=14425#pid98...

Quote: Originally posted by hartun  
I think I have asked this question already but I can't find the post. I am looking for a book that explains Turkish makam at a beginners level. An older Armenian musician suggested the book "Makam" by Karl Signell, but I didn't find it helpful as it only has some of the makams and also doesn't talk about the oud at all. I also have Mavrothi's book "School of the Oud" which is much to my liking but it only has 3 makams in it. Where can I find an explanation of all the major makams? Thank you.

hartun - 1-16-2014 at 08:52 AM

Of course, I knew I had asked this before! Just couldnt find the page. Of course I should have searched for it in the search box. Silly me.

Thanks guys

Harry