Mike's Oud Forums

want to buy child oud

alim - 12-17-2004 at 01:15 PM

Greetings:

I am looking for a child oud for my sons (11y and 8y). Can anyone recommend what size I would need and where I can purchase?

Thanks,

Ali-

Jameel - 12-17-2004 at 01:47 PM

I think the best child's oud should have the same string length as a standard oud, in order to simplify the string gauges. I have a 51cm child's oud and it is difficult to find the right strings. I heard once from Simon Shaheen, if I remember correctly, and others here may be able to corroborate, that his oud as a child had only a smaller body, but the same scale as a standard oud. Try Yilmaz Ipek, or Saddetin Sandi. They have small ouds.

alim - 12-17-2004 at 04:53 PM

Good advice, thank!

Childs oud

dahun - 12-18-2004 at 07:45 AM

Alim,

There is a small oud for sale on Ebay.
It looks a bit rough, so I would ask a lot of questions. However, there is a maker's label inside. I cannot read it from the posted picture.
Check it out. Maybe it's OK.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=623&...

Best wishes.

Béla

revaldo29 - 12-18-2004 at 09:21 AM

Hey alim,

When I first decided to play oud, I told my mom to bring a oud from Libya. She brought A child's practice oud that was really bad quality and I could barely play it. As far as your eleven year old, you might just want to get him a full size oud but get something that is smaller in size. The oud I bought after that was a turkish oud becuase the size was small and I was able to hold it comfortably. Buying an adult oud might be a better idea becuase he can use when he grows a little.

palestine48 - 12-18-2004 at 10:29 AM

how about a womans model?

Aren't those smaller in size, possibly enough for an 11 year old.

Haluk - 12-20-2004 at 01:23 AM

I have child and women size ouds available with affordable prices.Tutorial VCD-1 in English 55 minutes include the price.

Regards all.

Haluk Eraydin
ERAYDIN SAZEVI LTD.INC.