Mike's Oud Forums

questions about strings and who can make a new rossette in Turkey

sandoval - 3-12-2014 at 09:34 PM

Hello all
I´ve been following this forum for a while and it is great!
I have a couple of questions
1º Which pyramid strings you advice me for my floating bridge 58,5 oud? to tune it in Fa, I don´t want to spend now the money for lute strings, so I prefer to try a cheaper set. If not pyramid, what you advice me?
Also I have an oud that the rossette is missing, so I want to find a luthier who can make a new one, big central one made by wood, and the small one made by bone, I have the model ready.
I´m currently living in Turkey, so is there any luthier who can make this rossette for me here? I don´t mind if they use laser to do it, maybe it will be better because it will be much cheaper.
any advice?
thanks a lot!

Brian Prunka - 3-13-2014 at 04:48 AM

You can use the regular Pyramid 650 (Orange set) and just add the high f'f' (I have these in my shop). The only issue I can see is that some of the strings might be a bit short for some floating bridge ouds.

LaBella OU80A is a pretty standard choice for this tuning. You can also use Aquila—you just have to buy the high f'f' course separately.

SamirCanada - 3-13-2014 at 06:41 AM

+1 for the labella, this is what I used to do for my floating bridge ouds on the cheap. Decent strings but not quite as nice as the custom strings from D'addario or Pyramid lute.

Go see a oud maker somewhere in town I am sure someone can help you out. If you want something really nice, I would consider seeing this lady who is a sedefkar (professional sedef worker) her name is Fatma Ayran. You can find her on facebook as Sedefkar Fatma Ayran. Her work is stunning.

sandoval - 3-13-2014 at 04:44 PM

Thank you very much for the info
I´ll check Fatma Ayran, and also try to find some oud makers and ask, the thing is that I´m in the east of Turkey, not much of oud things here, this is the kingdom of the baglama!