Mike's Oud Forums

Nahat label - translation & date please

mavrothis - 5-13-2014 at 08:50 PM

Hi guys,

I am trying to identify the maker and year on this label, and any other important info there that is visible (sorry - it was hard to get a photo of the full label(s)). In the future I will try to get a better shot of the lower label as well.

Would someone be willing to help with the translation and dating please?

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

mavrothi

Brian Prunka - 5-13-2014 at 09:06 PM

Appears to say 1929 . .

ExtreamTarab - 5-13-2014 at 09:55 PM

Hey mavrothi,

Here's the translation

Tawfik Hana Nahat
August 31 1929
Damascus

I can only read the 1st line of added label at the bottom, it says soundboard change. Appears like the remaining is more details about who and when did the change.

Regards,
Ibrahim

mavrothis - 5-14-2014 at 03:41 AM

Thank you very much guys! I will see if I can get a better photo with the complete lower label visible and legible and post it here in a few days.

Thanks again!

mavrothi

2nd label

mavrothis - 5-18-2014 at 04:13 PM

Hi,

Thanks again to Brian and Ibrahim for the help so far in translating this oud's label.

I was able to snap some photos of the second, lower label today.

Ibrahim, any chance you might be able to help with this one as well?

It looks like there is an address in English at the bottom of the second label:

142 Amity St?

Thank you!

mavrothi

[file]31454[/file]

2nd label closeup

mavrothis - 5-18-2014 at 04:18 PM

[file]31456[/file]

ExtreamTarab - 5-18-2014 at 08:23 PM

Hey mavrothi,

here's what I can make out of the label

soundboard change
Tawfik Ajhourfy workshop

The last line I can't make out, however on the bottom right side it says Brooklyn in Arabic.

Hope this is helpful
Ibrahim

markus - 5-19-2014 at 02:16 AM

hello mavrothi
underbeneath broklyn in arabic there seems to be the addreess of the luthier undergoing the repair which reads( in my best guess)
142 trinity or unity streat
can we have a photo of the whole instrument please

mavrothis - 5-19-2014 at 03:39 AM

Thank you so much guys!

This is interesting about Mr. Ajhourfy. Has anyone heard of him before?

The oud has an excellent sound, and I wonder if the soundboard change was only of the right and left "wings" of the soundboard. The center section of the soundboard looks like it might be original.

Here are some preliminary photos of the oud, which is part of the late Haig Manoukian's oud collection, and will eventually be put up for sale.

Thanks again,

mavrothi

markus - 5-19-2014 at 04:13 AM

lucky you mavroyhi !!!!
it does not seem that the soundboard was replaced, it looks very nahati with the original rossette, if I am not mistaken- Ajhourfy could have done a minimal repair
enjoy it
GrecoEgyptian Markus

mavrothis - 5-19-2014 at 06:15 AM

Thanks Markus. The oud is not mine, but I am certainly lucky to have some time with it and play it.

When the time comes to put it up for sale I will most likely post a video with it, and more higher resolution photos.

Like you said, the top (large, central piece, with all the inlays and sound holes) looks original to me, though the left and right "wings" might be the result of the repair.

Thanks again!

mavrothi

hamed - 5-19-2014 at 05:54 PM

That's a good looking oud. it looks to me like the rosette is upside down, so i'm sure the rosette had to have been unglued at some point, unless it was upside down from the beginning.

mavrothis - 5-19-2014 at 06:10 PM

Hi Hamed,

Thanks for pointing that out. I briefly studied some Arabic years ago, and now that you mentioned it, I think you're right, the main rosette does appear to be upside down.

It's possible Haig himself, or someone else, may have removed it to gain access inside and then reglued it in this way. Sadly I don't know.

It is a strange thing to be going through my friend's collection, who I considered a mentor in many things. He was an inspiration as a creative and passionate player, meticulous repairer and a beautiful human being, and was also a rather private person. I hope this lovely Nahat, along with his other ouds, will all find themselves in good homes over time.

For anyone in the NYC area who is interested (seriously please) in purchasing a high quality oud that was owned and played by the late Haig Manoukian, please let me know. I will be happy to speak with you and see if we can arrange a time for you to visit and play the ouds that are currently for sale. In the future, as I mentioned, I will also try to make photos, videos and descriptions available for those who do not live nearby.

Thanks again, and please, anyone with useful observations from the above photos, don't hesitate to add to the conversation.

Thank you,

mavrothi

Dr. Oud - 5-20-2014 at 09:15 AM

The bridge looks like a Turkish style. I've never seen a Nahhat with the forward tie block style, they all had the center tie block, even in the later years. The pickguard also is a different style than Toufiq's of this era and shows no wear although the face next to it does and there appears to be some remnant outline at the lower edge.

mavrothis - 5-20-2014 at 09:57 AM

Great observations Richard, thank you. I think I may even be able to see the outline of the original bridge in the face under the current bridge.

I also see what you are talking about regarding the pickguard.

While those pieces do not seem to be original, I think we are narrowing down that at the very least the central piece of the soundboard is original.

Thanks again,

mavrothi