Mike's Oud Forums

1978 Foad Haidar repairs

SamirCanada - 7-15-2014 at 05:17 AM

I want to share with you a special oud I am repairing for our fellow member Journeyman.

Its a 1978 Foad Haidar oud from Damascus. I repaired a friend's oud which was made by the same maker a few years ago.

Nice deep sound, lots of inlays. They are also quite big.

repairs include: neck reset, new pegs, new nut, fix some cracks in the top.

You can see in the pictures, the tool I made to determine the exact location of the dowel hole in the neck block. Also a shot of the new action. The original action was at 5mm!

Doc139 - 7-15-2014 at 08:48 AM

Beautiful instrument ! - happy owner ... :D
Alexander

SamirCanada - 7-17-2014 at 04:49 AM

The oud gets some new pegs,
these are the boxwood pegs available from Oudstrings.com

I try to build a taper on my pegs so they become progressively shorter as we progress towards the tip of the pegbox. I find it more elegant than having full size pegs at the tip of the pegbox.

I think they are phenomenal pegs and will work well in this walnut pegbox.

hamed - 7-17-2014 at 05:40 AM

Nice work Samir. Are you able to retain the same neck / string length after the reset or are you losing some material due to planing?

SamirCanada - 7-17-2014 at 05:51 AM

I tried to limit it but there will be some material lost (aprox, 3 mm). It wont affect playability very much however.

I could have replaced the lost material with a spacer but it would have compromised the look of the oud, given the inlay patern on the back of the neck and on the fingerboard/beard since those have to match.

hamed - 7-17-2014 at 01:52 PM

how low is the action on the oud now after the repair?

SamirCanada - 7-17-2014 at 04:08 PM

I didnt measure, maybe between 2 and 3mm. you can see in the picture, its pretty low. hopefully there wont be a buzz but we cant tell until we put the strings on.

may need to be some adjustments at the bridge or sanding of the neck.

journeyman - 7-17-2014 at 07:14 PM

I'm so glad you agreed to repair this oud Samir; much appreciated and keep up the good work. -Roy:)

SamirCanada - 7-18-2014 at 04:27 AM

You are most welcome Roy, thanks for entrusting me with this beauty.

Jason - 7-22-2014 at 10:55 AM

Nice work Samir! It is cool to see how much the color of those inlays have changed over the years when you took the neck off!

SamirCanada - 7-28-2014 at 09:22 PM

Here is a quick video I did of the Oud. The repairs are done and went well thank god.
Not the loudest oud since it has a very thick soundboard, but still a sweet aged tone.

http://youtu.be/fzNlfF8cIW0

journeyman - 7-29-2014 at 07:30 PM

Very nice Samir; looking forward to picking it up. Thanks for posting the clip. -Roy