Mike's Oud Forums

GHS oud strings

samzayed - 12-28-2004 at 02:18 PM

Anyone have any experience with GHS oud strings? I heard they great for arabic tuning and they last a long time. Anyone have any comments?

oudplayer - 12-28-2004 at 02:22 PM

hi sam
i bought a set of them bc that what my dad pick up for me and that all they had. so i put it on my turkish tourist oud and i personly like it and i had them on for about 4 to 5 months and i love them and makes my $100 oud soundgood and turned in to a $300 oud i think its good i would say go for it i bougth a arabic set to good luck.
thx sammy

mavrothis - 12-28-2004 at 03:00 PM

Hi,

I have not been very pleased with GHS strings whenever I tried them.

Take care,

mav

Elie Riachi - 12-28-2004 at 03:50 PM

the GHS oud set at juststrings.com specifies the tuning which is not the standard Arabic and the GHS web site doesn't give any technical information other than gauges and no tensions are specified at any of the sites. Knowing the gauge for plain strings one could kind of figure the tension but it is sort of unknown for the wound ones. This is the reason why I didn't get the GHS in the past, lack of data and didn't feel like buying a set and taking the measurements. On the other hand, the oud set is only $12 at juststrings and if you tune it Arabic then tension is lowered however the lowest 2 bass strings might be way off the mark on tension (too low). It is no harm to try. Keep us posted.

samzayed - 12-28-2004 at 03:58 PM

Thanks for everyones feedback. Elie, you are correct about the lack of data. The plain nylons have the same guages as D'Addario. Supposidly, plain nylons don't differ from different manufactures because the material is pretty standard.

Ronny Andersson - 12-29-2004 at 11:24 AM

I tried a set many many years ago and I didn't liked them. For a Bashir I would recommend you the lute strings I use by Pyramid. The same are used by Shamma.
This set is for a string lenght of 57 cm.

PYF 047 = F

PYF 060 = C

PYF 1007 = G

PYF 1013 = D

PYF 1016 = C

PYF 1035 = F