Mike's Oud Forums

Ramazan Calay Oud

CumbusOud - 9-16-2014 at 05:15 PM

Hi Guys,

I am new on this forum, I love this forum.
I wanted to learn something. I hope you can help me.

I found a Ramazan Calay Oud on ebay.
it seems good. and also sounds like good. I want to buy this Oud, what do you think?
is this a good idea?
I contacted with seller, he looks a good man. very interested with me, reply all of my questions and I satisfied with him questions.

I hope you can help me to make a final decision.

Thank you,

Jack

alim - 9-16-2014 at 08:16 PM

Hello Jack, welcome to the forum!

I don't know about the Ramazan Calay Oud on ebay, but I tried a Ramazan Calay (I think custom) a couple of months ago and it was very good.

Other members might have more details.

Ali-

CumbusOud - 9-17-2014 at 12:25 AM

Hello Ali,

Thank you for your comment.

I forgot to add link of Oud.
Please check this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TURKISH-PROFESSIONAL-SPECIAL-OUD-UD-BY-RAMA...

Thank you.

Microber - 9-17-2014 at 10:35 AM

Ramazan Calay has a good reputation.
But why don't you deal with him directly, so that you can choose your oud.
http://www.ramazancalay.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ramazan-Calay/103866139677019

Robert

Almelaifi - 9-17-2014 at 08:40 PM

The one in the video doesn't look like the oud in the pictures.

I see that the bowl has different woods, so make sure you know what you're purchasing.

:)

CumbusOud - 9-18-2014 at 01:41 AM

Thank you for your comments.

I contacted with Ramazan Calay and I asked to him about this seller.
Ramazan Calay told me it is my Oud on ebay and pictures and video same Oud. Ramazan Calay made a deal with this seller.
This Seller's and and Ramazan Calay's prices same.
After payment seller will ship same time but If I order from Ramazan Calay I have to wait nearly 45 Days.

I think this seller is a big seller in Turkey because I saw that he made deal with Mustafa Copcuoglu and with some other luthiers. and I think prices not expensive.

So, video and pictures same. Seller trusty. I can buy from him.

I only have another question. I saw that this seller have also Mustafa Copcuoglu Ouds.
I am not sure this seller's Mustafa Copcuoglu Oud good or Ramazan Calay.

Or this seller have cheaper prices Ouds and he gave guarantee to I will like this cheaper Ouds. These Ouds made by him maker so prices better and quality good.

I want to thanks for your comments again. your comments very helpful.

Jack

franck leriche - 9-18-2014 at 05:32 AM

Mustafa was Ramazan teacher and one of the best oud maker, they both make very good ouds, each one has his own style. so it's a matter of personal choice.

Maybe this seller's cheaper ouds can be good as well, but it depends on your level and what you are looking for.

I wouldn't buy a musical instrument from any luthier without knowing him personally and having a real discussion about what i want.
Or i may buy an instrument i tried and like.
But buying an instrument through internet without seeing and playing might be good if you're a beginner or average player.

franck leriche - 9-18-2014 at 05:38 AM

I may add that every great oud maker is capable of making a good looking instrument with average materials, sounding ok for a cheaper price.
They are many wood available for the luther and also some leftover from the best instruments.

CumbusOud - 9-18-2014 at 07:52 AM

Dear Franck Leriche,

Thank you for informations.

Please can you check this Oud: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TURKISH-VERY-HIGH-QUALITY-ROSEWOOD-WENGE-ST...

What do you think about it?

Best regards,

Jack

adamgood - 9-18-2014 at 07:09 PM

The last listing your post, there's no maker listed correct?? No sense in that. Ramazan makes great instruments!!

franck leriche - 9-19-2014 at 01:35 AM

It "looks" like a good instrument, the average instrument making level is very high in turkey nowadays, but it doesn't mean a good sounding instrument.

I do agree Ramazan makes great instruments, but i've seen some not so good junctions from him a few years ago.
Now he has a team working with him, so maybe it's more constant.
I asked the seller to send some great quality pictures to have a closer look to details, but it wasn't possible to see the weak parts...

According to the place you live, you may have to pay taxes plus shipping, you could do a short trip to istanbul to have a look in person for almost the same price.

CumbusOud - 1-12-2015 at 04:29 AM

Dear Friends,

Finally I got my Oud. I bought from this seller. He is really a great seller. I can offer you this seller.
I bought a Walnut oud. it was 600 USD but quality really good.
I will take a video for sound.

Also I will buy a Kanun from this seller.

Jack