Mike's Oud Forums

LUTE - SAROD ...with skin tensioning system

Edward Powell - 10-2-2014 at 01:01 PM

Hi Everybody,
...just finished today I made this demo vid of this new sarod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjX5rIEAei8&feature=youtu.be

It is a sarod made with an oud type back but it still has a skin top, but I designed a custom tensioning system for the skin... hope you like it, it was fun to build :)

suz_i_dil - 10-2-2014 at 01:33 PM

I love the sound, really, its deepness and clarity, it is wonderful.
Then I don't have any reference toward sarod. But this tensioning system is I'm sure an improvement that will be appreciate by sarodist (sarodji/saroders ?)
Anyway the name :) best wishes !

Edward Powell - 10-2-2014 at 03:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by suz_i_dil  
I love the sound, really, its deepness and clarity, it is wonderful.
Then I don't have any reference toward sarod. But this tensioning system is I'm sure an improvement that will be appreciate by sarodist (sarodji/saroders ?)
Anyway the name :) best wishes !

Thanks Suzi
yes. it is really velvet and a joy to play... for sure the sarod players are all soon going to be wanting this... especially the heavily touring ones. Let's see what happens, I will keep MIKE'S updated.

Peppe and I just got off skype talking about an instrument idea he has had for a while which would hybridize oud, rabab, and sarod... with the tensioning system of course :)

Chris_Stephens - 10-3-2014 at 07:52 AM

What a beautiful and unique instrument! I love your playing, as usual. Sounds like Raga Piloo?

Edward Powell - 10-3-2014 at 09:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Chris_Stephens  
What a beautiful and unique instrument! I love your playing, as usual. Sounds like Raga Piloo?

Thanks Chris... yes something like an unofficial pilu :)