Mike's Oud Forums

suggestions to buy a riq

danieletarab - 11-17-2014 at 06:49 AM

Hello dear members,
I would like to learn to play RIQ a little bit and I need to get one.
There are many of them on sale on the internet, and I don't have any idea of the differences.
let's say that my price range is from 30 euro to 100 euro.
Would you suggest a tuneable one?
I don't need a very professional one; after all I want to learn it only to get a feeling and an understanding of arabic rythms.
Thank you for your attention!

Brian Prunka - 11-17-2014 at 09:58 AM

The remo riq like this is pretty good for learning; it's not really pro quality but it is a good weight, the jingles are OK and it is tunable.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/2352295805621994828?q=remo+r...

If you spend a little more you can get a marginally professional riq from GEF or Mid-East . . . the main thing to be concerned about is the weight and having decent (heavy) brass for the jingles.

The better pro riqs are generally in the $500+ category.

danieletarab - 11-17-2014 at 03:54 PM

Dear Brian Punka,
I thank you, as always!
The Remo looks very intresting. Actually I wanted to spend a little bit less, but if you tell me that it's better not to go cheaper I will follow your suggestion :)
They suggested me also the ones for sale on Mauriceouds website; They are GeF and they cost 175 dollars. Are they worth 35 dollars more than the Remo one, or should I go for the Remo?
And if I go for the GeF, what should I choose among these 3 models?
http://www.mauriceoudshop.com/riqqs/
Thank you very very very much!!!!
Daniele

Brian Prunka - 11-17-2014 at 05:03 PM

I think the GEF ones are worth a little more, however, they are usually a bit heavier and some people don't like the exterior hardware. I know some folks that use them professionally, which I can't say about the remo riq. I can't think of one cheaper that's good, but you might find something on ebay from time to time.

All those models on maurice's shop look pretty similar.