Mike's Oud Forums

Shahnaz oud completed

bulerias1981 - 12-10-2014 at 01:00 PM

This instrument was custom made for a woman, thus the smaller scale, with Arabic bracing. 59.5 scale, high gloss French polish finish. Padouk with maple spacers, inlay on soundboard, hand carved bone rosettes (designed by Alfaraby), handmade swiss pear wood tuning pegs. Warm brassy tone, rich on the bottom and top end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKAZQ32EoC4&feature=youtu.be

Fritz - 12-10-2014 at 02:39 PM

Hi John

You made some beauties ... and I see the new pegs mounted on this Oud here... looking great and matching to the looking in general... and I wonder, how you made the fine calligraphy on one of the other Ouds around the sound hole... Fascinating work... man !

Kind regards

Fritz

Gocauo - 12-11-2014 at 10:51 AM

Stunningly beautiful....

bulerias1981 - 12-11-2014 at 08:31 PM

Thank you guys. To answer Fritz question, I got the maqamaat ring from Najib Shaheen and had them copied and made on a laser, etched and filled with filler.

faggiuols - 12-12-2014 at 03:10 AM

very nice !!
I really love the rosettes ..

Fritz - 12-17-2014 at 12:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  
Thank you guys. To answer Fritz question, I got the maqamaat ring from Najib Shaheen and had them copied and made on a laser, etched and filled with filler.

I thought about this exactly as you made it :-)

Very nice work !!! I like these calligraphics on Ouds...

Have you seen the "Oud of the year" made by Wissam Joubran in 2013 ? There is also an absolutely nice calligraphic work on it at the sound hole...