Mike's Oud Forums

a Vertical Crack in the Bowl

SufianSaeed - 2-1-2015 at 11:30 PM

Hello Everyone,
I've been learning Oud roughly for about 2 months and this forum is like my daily hangout zone .
i was learning"Spanish Beginnings" Piece by Abadi Jawhar when suddenly today after my daily training time while am putting the oud down i noticed a vertical crack in the bowl of the oud "images attached", now i understand that the bowl ribs are glued together, i have no idea how would they just crack and why specifically this spot, am pretty sure am gentle enough with my oud, anyways i live in Tripoli, Libya and i think there's zero luthiers here and if there was i dont think they will be experienced enough to handle this, i want to know from the experts on this forum if you could tell me how bad is the damage and if you've seen anything like this before ? any tips would be appreciated i've already placed the oud back in its case and i think its wise to just stop playing on it before it gets worst or the crack spreads to more ribs , its really saddening mostly that i think now to keep my progress i probably will have to get an another oud .

link to images :
Google Drive Album

abc123xyz - 2-2-2015 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SufianSaeed  
link to images :
Google Drive Album

Even after signing in to Google this morning I was told that I still
"need permission" from "the owner for access" to see your photos.

David

SufianSaeed - 2-3-2015 at 02:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by abc123xyz  
Quote: Originally posted by SufianSaeed  
link to images :
Google Drive Album

Even after signing in to Google this morning I was told that I still
"need permission" from "the owner for access" to see your photos.

David

Terrible mistake on my side, just fixed it
another Link just in case .

BaniYazid - 2-3-2015 at 11:00 AM

Hi Sufian,

Welcome here
It's not a big issue, and a luthier will easily repair it, the best option if you never done a repair by your self or have any wood working knowledge.

You may do it yourself also, not too hard. You need glue, preferably hide glue but I guess not easy to find in Libya those days, and not so easy to use, classic wood glue will work. You will need painter tape to force the ribs together during the gluing process.
I you feel confidant to do it yourself, use the search function of the forum with bowl crack as key words.
Or ask here for more details.

Salamat

SufianSaeed - 2-3-2015 at 01:25 PM

i might be traveling to turkey in a couple of months , i've already had plans to work on my own oud project so i guess it might be a good chance maybe if i could poke around it here and there and maybe will manage to fix it , we dont get good Oud's in libya ,mostly low quality Egyptian/Tunisian Oud's and the good one's are too expensive to buy .
Thanks for the tips & i will check other started topics as well for more reference , Cheers man.

Best , Sufian .