Mike's Oud Forums

Oud offtopic: Finding azeri kamanca in azerbaijan?

sidharta - 3-30-2015 at 11:41 PM

Hello fellow oudists, what's up?
I'm soon leaving for a great quest to Azerbaijan and Armenia. I'm a musician and a also a collector, probably like most of you here :rolleyes:
Do you have any idea where can I buy best quality kamancheh? I'm looking for a recommendation for a shop or better a maker that makes fine kamanchehs.
Any lead will be blessed :cool:

Cheers, daniel

Masel - 3-31-2015 at 02:23 AM

i've been to azerbaijan twice. there are two things you should be aware of:
1) most people in azerbaijan dont speak any english AT ALL. either find a contact or work on you turkish/russian.

2) azeris are very strict about people taking instruments out of the country, especially if they are high quality old ones. you might have a problem there, better check somehow in advance.

one of the best kamanche makers is called Arslan, he is living in turkey (maybe istanbul, not sure). i would talk to him anyway, i'm sure he could help.

sidharta - 3-31-2015 at 03:36 PM

Hi masel, thanks for your reply!
My russian is basic and it can maybe work out.
About the problem with exporting antiques I will really look into it, and Arslan I visited already but he is crazy price.
Thanks anyway for your ideas :)

Masel - 4-2-2015 at 03:59 AM

also look up imamyar hasanov on facebook, he is a top kamanche player living in USA. he speaks good english and might know who to send you to.
good luck