Mike's Oud Forums

Down/Up Stroke Symbols in Jamil Bashir Oud method book

majnuunNavid - 10-29-2015 at 07:01 PM

In Persian notation we use an upside-down "v" for downstroke, and a normal "v" for upstroke above the notes on the staff...

In several Arabic language Oud method books I keep seeing another symbol which is upsidedown v and a normal v side by side. See pictures.

I searched but I couldn't find anything on this forum about this.

Thanks!!!

[file]37272[/file] [file]37273[/file]

FastForward - 10-29-2015 at 09:26 PM

The same notation is used in Jamil Bashir's book, \/ for a down stroke and /\ for an up stroke, the \/ /\ is for two strokes "down up" for the same note. You will see also a four stroke for the same note sometimes shown as \/ /\ \/ \/ for down up down down, and perhaps a few other variations.

majnuunNavid - 10-29-2015 at 09:55 PM

So I assume that means to play "down up down up" over the quarter note in the second example? This is a convention to replace writing 16th notes?

Jason - 10-30-2015 at 06:01 AM

Would it be metered to 16th notes or does it mean to play the note as tremolo? It seems confusing to use v ᴧ over a quarter note to indicate two 8th notes instead of just writing two 8th notes.

majnuunNavid - 10-30-2015 at 06:20 AM

AH, tremolo would make the most sense!!!! I've seen different symbols to indicate tremolo in Persian music, but never this.

Jody Stecher - 10-30-2015 at 06:45 AM

If you listen to Jamil Bashir play well known repertoire that he did not compose you will hear him play 4 sixteenth notes where the usual thing is one quarter note. He played a plectrum-oriented oud style. I am guessing that the down-up symbols are a way of showing the basic melody and the suggested oud interpretation at once.

FastForward - 10-30-2015 at 08:32 AM

They are played as a filler, and time wise, they divide the note into 2, 3 or 4 strokes. One thing to note is that while you play 2 or 3 or 4 strokes, they are not similar as some of the strokes are accented (played harder or softer).

This is talked about in the early part of the book, see the attached image.

/\ for a down stroke
\/ for an up stroke

He says the strokes need to be synchronized without any temporal advancement or delay.

[file]37275[/file]