Mike's Oud Forums

First encounter with a oud maker

SamirCanada - 1-30-2005 at 08:20 PM

Hey guys Iam just posting to share this wonderfull experience with you. I have indeed for the first time met a oud maker in person. I was put in contact by his granddauther witch goes to university with me. She heard me talk about ouds and she said : My grand father builds them. Witch was quickly awnsered : REALLY!? by me. He spends 6 months here in ottawa and the other 6months in lebanon.
I have never seen ouds finished with such professionalism and class...incredible
I went over to see what he had. he showed 6 ouds everysingle one more stuning then the other. I asked about buying one the nicest in my opinion. But I guess I have good taste since he said this one wasnt for sale since it was destined for singer Melhem Barakat.
His name is Elias Yammine I was wondering at the same time if anyone else has a oud by him. thanks god bless

Elie Riachi - 1-30-2005 at 09:55 PM

This a great story. I didn't know that Melhim Barakt played the oud but that doesn't surprise me. Does Mr. Elias sell in the US. Of course the next question is have you taken any pictures of the ouds and is it possible to post some pictures of these ouds?

Rgeards,
Elie

SamirCanada - 1-31-2005 at 11:22 AM

I'll bring a camera when I go to check them out again. And I'll ask him if he does.

SamirCanada - 6-13-2005 at 06:45 PM

I have just came back from Istez Yammine's house. His ouds are fantastic and sound incredible. He's just came back from Lebanon for the summer and has a couple of ouds for sale, they are made according to the purest tradition of lebanese ouds. I will post the pics when I go get them. Mr Yammine has been performing in front of crowds since age 17 and he's been making ouds now for 35 years. Many great makers have learned the trade from him and he has incredible stories to tell. His clients have been The Rahbani brothers, Melhim barakat, wadea el Safi etc... I will have pictures to display his work by next week has I have ordered a oud from him witch I will pickup on monday. Untill then god bless
Samir

Jameel - 6-13-2005 at 07:15 PM

Samir,

Very interesting story. We eagerly await your photos!!

mavrothis - 6-13-2005 at 07:35 PM

Mabrouk Samir! Can't wait to hear (and see) more. :)

mav

spyros mesogeia - 6-14-2005 at 05:33 AM

Wonderfull story,
I really want to see the fotos too
Thanks Samir

Regards
Spyros

Pics of the ouds

SamirCanada - 6-21-2005 at 06:23 PM

Elie, Mav, Jameel, Spyros and all those interested,..
Here are the pictures of the ouds I have here with me. I will also be posting them in the for sale forum with more info will be available on each individual ouds.
Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I do.
Iam also working on a sound file that I will have soon.

The Second oud

SamirCanada - 6-21-2005 at 06:25 PM

pics from the second oud which has a really neat inlaid bone fingerboard and all the Shamsiya (rosettes) are bone.

here..

SamirCanada - 6-21-2005 at 06:26 PM

Faladel - 6-22-2005 at 04:42 AM

Thank you Mr. SamirCanada For all post ¿and sound??
¿price??
Thanks
;)

mavrothis - 6-22-2005 at 05:41 AM

These instruments are really beautiful. Can't wait to hear them Samir! :D

spyros mesogeia - 6-22-2005 at 06:03 AM

Nice instruments my friend
Regards to all

Spyros

Got my new oud!!

SamirCanada - 7-1-2005 at 06:52 AM

Hello people,
I have finaly received my oud made by Elie Yammine. Iam really happy. Iam thinkin this might be the last oud I get. But if I look around Iam shure a lot of people on this forum said to themselves the same thing when they got a nice oud and that plan didnt work out too too well. :D
cheers
Samir

oudplayer - 7-1-2005 at 12:59 PM

hey samir
all i have to say ios wow thats so nice i wish i could play that right now as i am looking at it
wow thats nuts its so nice
thx sammy i wanna hear it very soon

mavrothis - 7-1-2005 at 02:55 PM

Mabrouk Samir! :D

Stefan Andalus - 7-1-2005 at 03:00 PM

"Last oud I get"????? Ha!! Ouds are a greater addiction to many of us than sex, drugs or (my own favorite) chocolate. The is NEVER a "last oud" thank heaven (and thank great luthiers past and present).

Mike - 7-1-2005 at 05:29 PM

Alf mabrouk Samir. Lovely looking oud and the man seems like he is super nice too. :-) Play in good health my friend!

Jameel - 7-1-2005 at 06:13 PM

Cool, Samir! That's a day you'll never forget. Let's hear it!

cshrem - 7-2-2005 at 08:53 PM

Mabrook!:) beautiful oud

Feynfou - 7-3-2005 at 07:25 AM

Alf Mabrouk Samir, the OUDs look great man:buttrock:

Thanks for sharing:bounce:

Regards to all,

SamirCanada - 7-3-2005 at 04:54 PM

Thanks soo much guys...
Iam working on sharing a little sample of its sound.
And many thanks to mike for compressing the pic!! I reallized I got too excited and I posted the pic too fast hehe!
Thanks for the wonderfull words.
Samir