Mike's Oud Forums

cumbus question

_tone - 4-20-2016 at 07:10 PM

does anyone here know if a cumbus has a particular scale length and if so what it is. i have a cumbus and i don't know if the bridge is in the right location. does it matter all that much?

DoggerelPundit - 4-21-2016 at 08:06 AM

I believe that on any stringed instrument, the bridge is right if the pitch of octave chime matches the pitch of the octave finger position.

Stephen

_tone - 4-21-2016 at 08:36 AM

thank you for that. i think you're right.

adamgood - 4-21-2016 at 06:31 PM

irrelevant though since cumbus has no frets...unless this is a cumbus with frets :)

Quote: Originally posted by DoggerelPundit  
I believe that on any stringed instrument, the bridge is right if the pitch of octave chime matches the pitch of the octave finger position.

Stephen

_tone - 4-21-2016 at 09:38 PM

no. no frets. does that make the question of a scale length irrelevant?

adamgood - 5-9-2016 at 07:45 PM

Without frets it makes the octave chime trick irrelevant, since there's no fret to match pitch to.

I was just helping a friend with this online today via Skype. There are 9 screws holding down the the "rim" over the skin on mine...is it the same for yours? 3 screws holding down the bridge? Locate the next 2 screws on either side...I have my bridge aligned pretty much evenly with those. I've never measured the scale length of mine! Wonder if it's close to a Turkish ud scale length?

Quote: Originally posted by _tone  
no. no frets. does that make the question of a scale length irrelevant?

_tone - 5-10-2016 at 06:33 PM

yes, mine is the same with 9 screws, 3 of which are holding down the bridge. i also have a cumbus cura that has frets tied on. lots of frets.
how do you tune your cumbus?