Mike's Oud Forums

Unique Strings, Peter Kyvelos

Andy - 6-1-2016 at 09:15 AM

So sad to see Unique Strings closed, the shop, the sign taken down, doors locked. Peter, for those who do not know, suffered from health issues and the unfortunate recent passing of his son. Because of his health issue Peter was not able to use his left arm making it impossible to do what loved. The family tried to continue the business but it just didn't work without Peter. For those who own one of Peter's ouds you are fortunate to have a piece of history made by a master.

keving - 6-4-2016 at 03:34 AM

That is truly sad, he was such an important part of the music community here in new england.

Peters work (with photos!) are included with this book: Keepers of the Tradition. Art and Folk Heritage in Massachusetts.

He will be missed.

hye_jynx - 6-7-2016 at 03:18 AM

Hi!

Last year I purchased through Joe Kouyoumjian an oud Peter made for his son. I bought it in honor of my sons baptism in the Armenian church around Armenian Mardi Gras time. The kids take it down at will. I am learning both for my own enjoyment,to transmit our language(s) and songs, and to set an example for them.

I did not know it was a Kyvelos oud, one suitable to play the Greek , Armenian and Anatolian musics I heard growing up with my grandparents. I also did not know that my long lost family post-genocide had settled in that exact area of Mass, which I only confirmed after purchase and whom I just connected to irl due to a geneaology forum. I had randomly ambled into the shop in March 2007 while couch surfing after a conference.

That oud was so meaningful to us already in a year marked by deprivation and loss and illness...it stands as *the* bright spot and what we looked forward to ( although it bobbled about the USPS for some time due to a snow storm). I am saddened I will not be able to take the boys to that shop to see where it was from. I showed them the picture, and told them about the shop. I am hoping they will keep it well, and tell the following generations.

paulO - 6-7-2016 at 11:46 AM

I met Pete when I was 16, and living in Oakland, California. I played dumbek with him on a few gigs with Al Hagopian on clarinet, he also had a crazy wild dumbek player with him at the time who I learned a whole lot about the placement of rolls and accents, it was great ! At the time, Pete was playing oud, and just starting to build.That was the last time I saw Pete, but I ordered an oud from him many years later. He's a great guy, and it was a gutsy move to open the shop when he did. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.